Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-25-2017, 04:29 PM)bpoland Wrote: Funny that the picture is of Willis Way station but they said that it won't actually have the enclosure.

I believe that the fully enclosed (and optionally heated) ones will have doors. Pictured is the non-door variant which is similar to a bus shelter.

Also interesting on that Willis Way render is the platform facing the road - reminding us this is the one stop in the system that will have cross-platform access to on-road buses.
The warm, enclosed LRT stop at Grand River Hospital is going to become the new de facto smoking shelter for GRH patients. I hope they have plans in place to combat that, because the old iXpress stop smelled like an ashtray.
You would think that they could put smoke detectors into shelters, so that a high-pitch squealing sound was emitted whenever smoke was generated inside the enclosed space.
(01-26-2017, 09:48 AM)goggolor Wrote: The warm, enclosed LRT stop at Grand River Hospital is going to become the new de facto smoking shelter for GRH patients. I hope they have plans in place to combat that, because the old iXpress stop smelled like an ashtray.

A fire suppression system might work. It (theoretically) works on airplanes.
(01-25-2017, 05:52 PM)Markster Wrote: I believe that the fully enclosed (and optionally heated) ones will have doors. Pictured is the non-door variant which is similar to a bus shelter.

Oh okay interesting.
(01-26-2017, 10:15 AM)chutten Wrote:
(01-26-2017, 09:48 AM)goggolor Wrote: The warm, enclosed LRT stop at Grand River Hospital is going to become the new de facto smoking shelter for GRH patients. I hope they have plans in place to combat that, because the old iXpress stop smelled like an ashtray.

A fire suppression system might work. It (theoretically) works on airplanes.

Or they could just build a proper smoking area for GRH patients. This whole “smokers don’t get anywhere to smoke” thing is out of hand. I’m not in favour of smoking being prevalent — it should be viewed as a disease, with a goal of elimination — but we’re now starting to provide places for users of many illegal drugs to do so safely so it’s unreasonable for a place like a hospital not to have a place where addicted patients can smoke.

(01-26-2017, 10:26 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-26-2017, 10:15 AM)chutten Wrote: A fire suppression system might work. It (theoretically) works on airplanes.

Or they could just build a proper smoking area for GRH patients. This whole “smokers don’t get anywhere to smoke” thing is out of hand. I’m not in favour of smoking being prevalent — it should be viewed as a disease, with a goal of elimination — but we’re now starting to provide places for users of many illegal drugs to do so safely so it’s unreasonable for a place like a hospital not to have a place where addicted patients can smoke.

They *used* to have a proper smoking area for GRH patients. In 2013 they removed it because smoking is bad and therefore shouldn't happen on hospital property, I guess the theory being that all smokers would just quit smoking if they didn't have a roof to do it under. The immediate consequence was that smokers just moved to the sidewalks and bus shelters. Before the iXpress shelters were removed, I'd often see multiple smokers occupying the bus shelter on the hospital side of King St.
The systems in use on airplanes to prevent smoking on airplanes is better than the system in use at GRT stops (I mean, no system at all). I agree strongly that smokers should be given appropriate places to smoke- that analogy with safe injection sites is a smart one, and I have never heard it before. It makes sense.

But I hate when people smoke at bus stops, and they seem to disproportionately be the type of people who do not react well to gentle criticism. Since I’m not a big fan of being sworn at by someone whom I then have to wait and subsequently be on the same bus with, I now quietly inhale second-hand smoke until the bus comes. I wonder how many would-be transit riders have done that, and decided they’d rather be in their smoke-free climate-controlled cars instead.

I wish a no-smoking policy at bus stops (and Ion stations) would be even sporadically enforced.
(01-26-2017, 11:25 AM)MidTowner Wrote: The systems in use on airplanes to prevent smoking on airplanes is better than the system in use at GRT stops (I mean, no system at all). I agree strongly that smokers should be given appropriate places to smoke- that analogy with safe injection sites is a smart one, and I have never heard it before. It makes sense.

But I hate when people smoke at bus stops, and they seem to disproportionately be the type of people who do not react well to gentle criticism. Since I’m not a big fan of being sworn at by someone whom I then have to wait and subsequently be on the same bus with, I now quietly inhale second-hand smoke until the bus comes. I wonder how many would-be transit riders have done that, and decided they’d rather be in their smoke-free climate-controlled cars instead.

I wish a no-smoking policy at bus stops (and Ion stations) would be even sporadically enforced.

That is not right, you should not have to put up with the smoke however, I understand it not worth the B/S you might have to put up with for holding someone accountable.  I suggest you write a complaint to the Regional Health Officials.  I bet they will get on GRT official's and bylaw to start doing some enforcement.

I myself will hold people accountable and politely ask the to move or put the cigarette out... If they don't or start to ast aggressive, it is amazing how fast recording their actions on a cell phone makes them leave...just saying..
Not to get too far off topic, but I have tried politely asking smokers to move, and it never ends well. If someone is knowingly violating social norms, reminding them of that usually just results in aggression. Like the guys who play music loudly over their phone at the back of the bus. I tried to get a GRT driver to respond once (to a woman who literally told me "Yeah I know I'm not supposed to smoke here, but you can't stop me, so I'm going to keep doing it") and their attitude was that by the time enforcement arrived, the person would have moved on anyway. Personally I don't want to risk being assaulted when I'm just trying to get to work in the morning.

If/when this happens once the new shelters are up, I'll try to get some photographic evidence and find an official who cares... your suggestion about the Regional Health Officials seems worthwhile. This is a problem created by the hospital's decisions, I think they should be involved in fixing it.
(01-26-2017, 11:13 AM)goggolor Wrote:  I guess the theory being that all smokers would just quit smoking if they didn't have a roof to do it under.

The same thing was done at high schools about 20 years ago. Turned neighbouring sidewalks into real messes.
(01-26-2017, 01:21 PM)goggolor Wrote: Not to get too far off topic, but I have tried politely asking smokers to move, and it never ends well. If someone is knowingly violating social norms, reminding them of that usually just results in aggression. Like the guys who play music loudly over their phone at the back of the bus. I tried to get a GRT driver to respond once (to a woman who literally told me "Yeah I know I'm not supposed to smoke here, but you can't stop me, so I'm going to keep doing it") and their attitude was that by the time enforcement arrived, the person would have moved on anyway. Personally I don't want to risk being assaulted when I'm just trying to get to work in the morning.

If/when this happens once the new shelters are up, I'll try to get some photographic evidence and find an official who cares... your suggestion about the Regional Health Officials seems worthwhile. This is a problem created by the hospital's decisions, I think they should be involved in fixing it.

Sadly you are correct, often people only know how to respond to requests with aggression or intimidation, but that is why more of us need to confront them.  They are social bullies and the only tactic they know is to get aggressive,  let me tell you though, once they have been taken down a peg they reconsider their actions...

Recording with your cell phone will get results.....

No one should have to accept and take their vial smoke into you're own lungs.... disgusting

(01-25-2017, 03:21 PM)Canard Wrote: Dubai has the only tram in the world I can think of with platform screen doors, because they have AC in the stations and trains.

I'm sorry - it just ain't gonna happen.

You're sorry? As if you had any decision power on what happens with the project Wink
(01-26-2017, 01:21 PM)goggolor Wrote: This is a problem created by the hospital's decisions, I think they should be involved in fixing it.

Before we go off and blame the hospitals, they don't have smoking structures because the Smoke Free Ontario Act prohibits (a) Smoking within 9m of any entrance or exit of a hospital and (b) Smoking on the outdoor grounds of a hospital. 

The province banned smoking on hospital property (and within 9m of the doors if it abuts public property), and the hospitals are being compliant with the law.  No different than when the province banned smoking on school property.  [Or when they banned smoking in malls, or when the Fed's banned smoking on planes]

As for smoking in bus shelters, this is handled by the Regional By-Law Enforcement and Regulatory Services branch.  I believe they have two full time Tobacco officers who deal with not only the Regional By-Law, but the SFOA.

Coke
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »