Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I just realized the map on the official site is not up to date: http://www.rideion.ca/assets/ionroutemap.pdf

It's still showing old station names!

Yesterday, while biking down Charles, I "raced" a little GrandLinq Kutota with one of those self-stabilized dji cameras strapped to the roof - wonder if they're making a POV video for the Open House? Smile They'll have to edit out Borden, since giant lump of concrete from platform access rework was blocking their path.

This sign's up now too!

[Image: WKvaFOoh.jpg]
I have to wonder if they installed the signage on the other side too. If they didn't, do they have it ready if the post office building ever comes down?
The railway crossing gates at University and at Columbia were stuck down this morning leading to pure pandemonium on the roads. The Police took about 15 minutes to arrive, but in that time, drivers decided that they weren't going to wait around. Some safe drivers decided to simply turn around safely, and go back. Others decided to drive on the wrong side of the road, and through the pedestrian crossing. You know, something they think is safe, right up until the moment that two drivers do that at the same time. While I was there there were two near collisions. The police arrived before anyone got hurt however. It makes me wonder how many of these drivers who do this would complain about cyclists who "break the rules".

I must ask however, why is it that Grandlinq cannot keep the signals working properly. These have been stuck on before, but before railway crossing arms were installed, and on numerous occasions I've seen traffic signals stuck.

This was the closest call I caught on video. The sedan coming through the crosswalk skidded to a stop to avoid hitting the car coming the wrong way.

https://youtu.be/_9XrasInoEQ
Both University AND Columbia? Oh dear.
Several weeks on from my last visit, I hit up the Market Square walkway again. Great spot to see the messenger/signal wire arrangement really close, and also to see the platform canopy from above!

[Image: SOq4PP9.jpg]

[Image: ouRe1VA.jpg]
Isn't it unreal how close it gets to the walkway?  It's pretty cool how they sandwiched it in.  The panto will be really low here, for sure!

Same setup at Manulife, once they string that run through there, I suppose.

Still haven't gone up there yet - but I guess this is about the only spot I can think of along the entire line where the public can see the LRV's from above.

(04-02-2017, 08:41 PM)Canard Wrote: Isn't it unreal how close it gets to the walkway?  It's pretty cool how they sandwiched it in.  The panto will be really low here, for sure!

Same setup at Manulife, once they string that run through there, I suppose.

Still haven't gone up there yet - but I guess this is about the only spot I can think of along the entire line where the public can see the LRV's from above.

UWaterloo — bridge between E3 and E5.

Weber St. overpass.

Possibly the transit hub, once the platforms are installed on the mainline (or now, but only by trespassing, and in a location where I wouldn’t, what with it being the main line and all).

But very cool nonetheless.
Oh, derp - of course Weber!

Is the UWaterloo overpass open to the public, though?

I guess since my hubby is going to school there I'm allowed in Tongue
(04-02-2017, 09:54 PM)Canard Wrote: Oh, derp - of course Weber!

It's a university. Universities should (and UWaterloo is) default open to the public, especially during the day. That overpass is always open; some buildings are restricted-access late at night.
(04-02-2017, 09:50 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: UWaterloo — bridge between E3 and E5.

Weber St. overpass.

Possibly the transit hub, once the platforms are installed on the mainline (or now, but only by trespassing, and in a location where I wouldn’t, what with it being the main line and all).

But very cool nonetheless.

The UW bridge is enclosed, though, so not good for photos.
(04-02-2017, 09:54 PM)Canard Wrote: Oh, derp - of course Weber!

It took me a while to think of Weber. I realized the Engineering bridge right away because I work at the University, then I thought my way down the entire route and remembered Weber.

And yes, as somebody else noted the overpass is open. On weekends it’s harder to find a door that will get you in to the Engineering buildings but once in the links between buildings are never locked.

If you just want to try the overpass there is an entrance on the west side of Ring Road right near where the overpass meets E3, and a staircase right inside which will take you up. I think it’s a pretty cool place to take photos, even with the glass.
I'll have to give it a try; thanks!

And then once you're in E5 or E3, you can explore through 14-15 buildings without touching fresh air if you know the right paths to follow. I used to work at UW and would use my lunch breaks to explore (and get a decent amount of exercise).
(03-30-2017, 08:56 PM)dunkalunk Wrote: Canard, this may be what you're interpereting from current conditions, but it's not what it will end up like. No trail connection between Wes Graham Way and Phillip existed previously. This is what is actually planned from 2013 documents. If anyone has anything more recent from an offical source, please share. I wasn't able to find anything detailed from the City of Waterloo site.

Sigh. These concepts look amazing, but I don't think they're ever going to see the light of day.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »