Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Er - sorry, duh.  Smile  The report says "Track installation has started on Charles, from Benton to Cedar".

I am not around this weekend, so I'll miss the TPSS installation Sad [Image: BrokenHeart-Emoji.png]

Other great news from the update: The King St rail bridge is being poured TOMORROW and crews will be working overnight! Exciting!

Utility work is also starting at Fairview Mall next week.
I wonder, could the renders in the Victoria Park diagram be related to the mystery development Insider was alluding to, or are they placeholders?
Among other pictures in the link, on contained a diagram with a label alluding to a planned building next to the arrow lofts, which I've heard nothing about outside of that diagram. It's quite possible the city has seen proposals for that lot already and included them in the renders.

On the other hand, the model of the transit hub was accurate to the concepts we've seen so far. So if this mysterious property is to be city-buult, I'd say chances are even higher that that's what we're seeing here.
(03-04-2016, 07:57 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Among other pictures in the link, on contained a diagram with a label alluding to a planned building next to the arrow lofts, which I've heard nothing about outside of that diagram. It's quite possible the city has seen proposals for that lot already and included them in the renders.

On the other hand, the model of the transit hub was accurate to the concepts we've seen so far. So if this mysterious property is to be city-buult, I'd say chances are even higher that that's what we're seeing here.

I assume you are referring to the second phase of Arrow Lofts.  I believe the plan for a second tower was approved some time ago, although I've heard nothing about when Auburn might start construction, or whether it will be condo or rental.  They were doing drilling on the site just the other day, but I don't know if this relates to possible construction or to something else.
So I was in midtown just before sunset, and noticed that some traffic signals have been installed!

Interestingly, we are getting two signalized intersections just 50m apart - the King/Pine/GRH Emergency junction, and the King/GRH main entrance t-intersection.

[Image: NqWoe4o.png]

[Image: tDEVfyd.png]

All this is, of course, right next to Grand River Hospital station.

[Image: MwcSH8m.png]
Just up the road at KCI, the steps are looking better and better:

[Image: w5ge76R.png]

[Image: 9i0roZw.png]

Thanks for the photos from midtown, Kevin!

I always find that it is an area that is difficult to get to (parking really) to get photos. The scope of work at the school certainly is impressive. Is it open during all of this (ie, kids are in class)?
The school is certainly open, but this is far from the building's only door. As an alumnus I can assure you there are many ways in that do not require access from King.
Oh, I didn't doubt that, it just looks... shuttered. Smile The giant plywood panels covering the front don't help. I guess, admittedly, I'm never near it during the weekday when it would be bustling with activity.
Ken Seiling just tweeted a pic of the start of the deck pour!

https://twitter.com/kenseiling/status/70...1021376512
(03-04-2016, 10:46 PM)KevinL Wrote: Just up the road at KCI, the steps are looking better and better:

[Image: w5ge76R.png]

I hope they don't leave the steps as raw concrete -- unless we are seeing a comeback for brutalism!
Drove through most of the Ion corridor at dusk just now! First time in a long time, not since the beginning of Winter. Very impressive seeing everything come along. Was surprised to see crews were working still at 7 on a Saturday night, and not just at the Dome pour either.

Noticed that despite embedded track having being poured almost up to Borden, and most of it before that having cured already, the track across Gaukel STILL is being heated. Is there a reason track crossing the road is taking so much longer than the track in front of the terminal?

Rebar for track has been laid on Charles starting at Benton.

All Traffic light poles are in at Cedar, and Cameron.

[Image: vCU8LxJ.jpg]
[Image: wy3teAt.jpg]

A single catenary pole was up at Stirling

Surprised to see no real movement on the embedded track on Borden. Some more placed, but not near pouring yet.

King past Wellington is looking very nice. Utility poles almost all complete.

Same with in front of GRH. Nice to see all traffic light poles in at the Pine and GRH entrance intersections!

Nothing of note North of John, seems. Didn't seem like any work has been done on the track in front of PI recently. They're getting close to Erb though, they must need to shut that down for utility relocation soon, don't they? If it's anything like Caroline, it'll take months. Surprised it hasn't been started yet.

Utility relocation for the intersection? There isn't any track going in on Erb, that was changed out of the plan years ago.
(03-05-2016, 11:38 PM)DKsan Wrote: Utility relocation for the intersection? There isn't any track going in on Erb, that was changed out of the plan years ago.

The line has to cross Erb.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »