Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Bonus: This is the first time I've ever seen the Curbinator®. Neat machine!

[Image: pMhKc53.jpg]

(06-05-2016, 10:17 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Another thing I noticed: the curbs end at an area marked out for the Queen St station. You can see here that the station is in front of one of the old entrances to the strip mall parking lot. The other entrance, however, does not have "driveable" curbs in front of it - they're far too tall for any vehicle to cross. Was the parking lot closed permanently? Is redevelopment of this lot coming sooner than we think?

From what I recall, the access to that lot was going to be changed somehow so it still works. It might not be from Charles St anymore.
(06-05-2016, 11:06 PM)Markster Wrote:
(06-05-2016, 10:17 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Another thing I noticed: the curbs end at an area marked out for the Queen St station. You can see here that the station is in front of one of the old entrances to the strip mall parking lot. The other entrance, however, does not have "driveable" curbs in front of it - they're far too tall for any vehicle to cross. Was the parking lot closed permanently? Is redevelopment of this lot coming sooner than we think?

From what I recall, the access to that lot was going to be changed somehow so it still works.  It might not be from Charles St anymore.

What would be the alternative?  I can't see it opening into Queen St so close to the intersection.
(06-05-2016, 11:13 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-05-2016, 11:06 PM)Markster Wrote: From what I recall, the access to that lot was going to be changed somehow so it still works.  It might not be from Charles St anymore.

What would be the alternative?  I can't see it opening into Queen St so close to the intersection.

[Image: cB9dU0X.png]

Seems like you would be correct. So if it was evaluated and not moved... it must be permanently closed?
There already is a lane off of Queen to the parking lot (judging from Streetview), but I would expect the parking lot would become almost impossible to get out of during heavy traffic on Queen.
(06-06-2016, 05:37 AM)jamincan Wrote: There already is a lane off of Queen to the parking lot (judging from Streetview), but I would expect the parking lot would become almost impossible to get out of during heavy traffic on Queen.

That's so weird - all these years and I never noticed that opening onto Queen St.  It will be so nice when the entire site is redeveloped and the traffic can enter the parking garage from Church St only.
(06-06-2016, 10:12 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-06-2016, 05:37 AM)jamincan Wrote: There already is a lane off of Queen to the parking lot (judging from Streetview), but I would expect the parking lot would become almost impossible to get out of during heavy traffic on Queen.

That's so weird - all these years and I never noticed that opening onto Queen St.  It will be so nice when the entire site is redeveloped and the traffic can enter the parking garage from Church St only.

It used to be somewhat disconnected from the parking lot by a curb. It was effectively just a single parking space next to Cafe Europe that always seemed to be used by a taxi, whose driver was likely at the Cafe.
With the construction, it was connected through to the parking lot to provide alternate access when the main access is blocked.

(06-05-2016, 11:06 PM)Markster Wrote:

From what I recall, the access to that lot was going to be changed somehow so it still works.  It might not be from Charles St anymore.

It looks like it'll be Charles, but the entrance will be right where the retaining wall starts for the church parking lot, based on the curb cut-outs (see below).  It'll be a fairly tight entrance, but it should work.

From the parking lot:

A view from across the street:

(06-05-2016, 10:18 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Bonus: This is the first time I've ever seen the Curbinator®. Neat machine!

Curbinator (actually a Gomaco GT-3600) in action!  It was producing maybe about 0.2 m/s of curbing, although it appears it can do about 0.4 m/s at top speed (maybe higher if it's on a paved surface?).

A lawn seeding truck being towed on top of a rail car at the University.
That's one way to do it! Great catch.
Today's adventure in Downtown detours - I was heading down Victoria St N and remembered that I needed to pick something up from U-Haul. Being clever, I turned onto Water St to detour down to Joseph St and over to Victoria, where I turned right to find that Victoria St S was closed at Charles, not at King as I expected. I sort of idled in the middle of Victoria St as I contemplated the implications of this until I realized that I could double back to Water St and then turn down Halls Lane to get into U-Haul. Anyone unfamiliar with the lane would be at a loss (if there were any signs pointing the way to U-Haul, but I didn't notice any). Now, I am not generally inclined to feel badly for U-Haul franchisees, but that's rough!
Curbs now also poured between Ontario and Queen (albeit still with some gaps).  And sidewalks mostly done on Charles between Benton and Cedar.

Attached Files Image(s)

Charles from Water to Francis was also MOSTLY paved today, as expected. I'm sure they'll finish that up tomorrow and move on from Francis to Victoria.

Wow, it's like every day now that a new road is paved, or significant new pieces are completed! We're speeding ahead now!

It occurred to me the other day that we're probably at peak closure capacity right now. I don't think we'll have any more intersections closed at a time than we do currently. It's all uphill from here!
(06-06-2016, 07:24 PM)GtwoK Wrote: It occurred to me the other day that we're probably at peak closure capacity right now. I don't think we'll have any more intersections closed at a time than we do currently. It's all uphill from here!

Shhhh... they might read this and close Frederick from Charles to Duke just to prove you wrong.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »