Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(03-04-2017, 01:56 PM)jamincan Wrote: Just looking at the image, though, and the curve radius is obviously significantly larger on the southbound track, which suggests that the design speeds should also be different. Do we know if the speed limit sign shows 35 in the southbound direction?

My camera has once again probably caused a misleading image.  Here's a screenshot from the actual design:

The radius for both curves is actually 110 m, and both have a design limit of 26 km/h.

(03-04-2017, 02:09 PM)Smore Wrote: Is it just me or are they not quite level to horizontal?  I saw the northbound signal at King/Vic today and thought that...and looking back at the photos on the prev page, it sort of looks similar...

It's not just you - a bunch of them are askew.  And it's worse - on some of them, the actual text isn't centred/straight on the physical sign itself.  As a design guy with a touch of OCD, this drives me so mad and I can't un-see it. Smile

More discussion points:

Sorry, what are those photos addressing?
(03-04-2017, 10:36 PM)KevinL Wrote: Sorry, what are those photos addressing?

Which, the aspect signal ones? The fact that people are somehow confusing a "Walk" signal for a big horizontal white bar.
Oh, sorry. The unusual angles made me think it was about something else.
Those with low vision would be most likely to confuse the vertical aspect of the tram signals. I still think this is a non-issue though since the pedestrian signals are installed directly across from where the crosswalk is.
There are a few instances (as Kevin's photos show) where the Aspect Signals are very close to the pedestrian signals, facing the same direction. I took a few frames yesterday; I'll post them later.

Really, I just think the media need to run a piece on it and everyone will go "Oh, so that's what those are." and that will be the end of it.
(03-05-2017, 08:29 AM)Canard Wrote: Really, I just think the media need to run a piece on it and everyone will go "Oh, so that's what those are." and that will be the end of it.

Fake news!  :Stare:

But you only need to scroll down to the comment section (Don't scroll down.  Ever.) to see people who don't event try to comprehend articles that are sharing useful information like this.

It seems pretty clear from the project agreement that the train proximity lighting is a requirement.

14.9 Design Elements of Continuity and Variability
(a) Project Co. must create various elements of LRT Stop classified as either:
(i) Constant elements for all LRT Stops (elements of continuity)
(ii) Unique elements for each LRT Stop (elements of variability) 

"...reflect system branding."

"System-wide Constant Elements: LED Light signalling LRT vehicle proximity"

And just so no one thinks they are referring to the variable message signs the language above is clearly different language from below:
"At least one centrally located Variable Message Signs (VMS) per platform used to display next train information and any other special messages issued by Central Control."

I am also disappointed with this news. It seems ridiculous that in this day and age, in this high-tech town, that this is not possible. As it has been said many times on this board, by many users, it is the little things, the details, that make for a memorable experience and will drive ridership.

"Provide a comfortable ambient environment, adequate lighting, personal comfort, aesthetic quality, supplementary services, weather protection, and security. As the time spent by patrons in aggregate is substantial, the environment for patrons waiting for a LRT train must not only be safe and secure, but should also be enjoyable, comfortable and informative."
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Something about the system that I just realized I haven't seen - where are the expansion joints?

I'm sure thermal expansion of the rails must have some effect on them (lengthening, contracting); at what points is this accounted for and in what way?
Great question. There are expansion joints in the concrete itself (not the rail) every 18m, and the rail is stressed. Between that and being secured so tightly, it isn't going anywhere.

Buckling is a real thing in ballasted track in environments with big temperature swings, if you aren't careful!

So, let's say we get a blistering summer day with temps in the high 30s. How is buckling avoided on our ballasted sections?
Because the rail was pre-stressed to what it would have been at like 22C, so it's negligible. Or they go out and retamp the curves a little to make up the length, I think.
Interesting. The physics of metallurgy certainly is facinating!

Is the rail bolted or welded? I know welded rail has the same thing.
(03-05-2017, 07:09 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Is the rail bolted or welded? I know welded rail has the same thing.

Our rails are welded.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »