Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Was just thinking about those poles the other day, really a nuisance. There' a bunch of streets uptown that REALLY should have all the hydro work buried. Caroline is one, but Regina is another - the sidewalks are even narrower there, still with the poles in the middle of them. There's not even enough room for ONE person to walk on the sidewalk at somparts, forcing pedestrians to walk on lawns / abutting properties. As well, would be nice to seem them buried on some of the side streets, like princess, young, etc.

(06-14-2017, 11:09 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Those bike lanes on Queen are actually bike lanes (signed as such and with ajoining no parking zone--despite frequent parking).  Of course, they're unfortunate lanes in that they're very short, although they're at least designed to be bike lanes, and lack the most terrible of features of the edge line noted earlier.

You're thinking of the ones between Courtland and Joseph streets, which are signed bike lanes. However, on Queen from Courtland away from downtown, there's an edge line masquerading as a bike lane in the same way as on King Street alongside the tracks.
Yes, I was speaking of Queen between Courtland and Highland; sorry should have been more specific.

East bound at Mill, along the stretch of queen near Joseph Schneider house, is actually does the exact same thing as King. Starts out looking wide enough to be a cycling lane, but then quickly tapers off to nothing.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(06-15-2017, 07:34 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Yes, I was speaking of Queen between Courtland and Highland; sorry should have been more specific.

East bound at Mill, along the stretch of queen near Joseph Schneider house, is actually does the exact same thing as King. Starts out looking wide enough to be a cycling lane, but then quickly tapers off to nothing.

Oh yes...sorry my mistake, that section is bad.

The funny thing is, given the speeds and hills on Queen there, I'm often outpacing drivers anyway, but I still feel pressured by drivers at that section near Mill.
D'Amato: Heated LRT stations are not wasteful. They’re a brilliant idea
Another winter-related idea GRT should consider adopting at park-and-ride stations: block heater plugs. Calgary and/or Edmonton has/have them.
Could do double-duty and additionally provide EV charging as well. If you're already going to run wires, may as well run some thicker cables. Smile

(06-16-2017, 12:18 AM)DHLawrence Wrote: Another winter-related idea GRT should consider adopting at park-and-ride stations: block heater plugs. Calgary and/or Edmonton has/have them.

Calgary and Edmonton are much colder than here.  Nobody I know, including all the mechanics in my family, have ever used a block heater in this climate in a modern car (last 30 years).  It simply isn't necessary.  Moreover, park-and-ride is usually during the day, when most would not even use a block heater anyway.

An EV charging station would be a much better investment.
Actual high-speed charging stations are quite expensive (multiple thousands depending on the type). Providing standard 15A/20A electrical outlets would allow slow L1 charging (and block heaters!) which should be enough given that the cars are there all day.

That said, people are probably not commuting long distances to get to the park-and-ride lots so I don't know how necessary EV charging at such lots would be.
(06-16-2017, 09:24 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Actual high-speed charging stations are quite expensive (multiple thousands depending on the type).  Providing standard 15A/20A electrical outlets would allow slow L1 charging (and block heaters!) which should be enough given that the cars are there all day.

That said, people are probably not commuting long distances to get to the park-and-ride lots so I don't know how necessary EV charging at such lots would be.

A standard L2 charger is sufficient, as you say there is no need to put in a high speed charging station, but an L2 charger is not the same as an electrical outlet.

But you're right, it's probably unnecessary at an LRT park and ride station, but it would provide an EV incentive.  I didn't think LRT really had park and ride facilities?  Even I wouldn't bother with park and ride on the LRT, if I'm already in a car, I"m just going to drive to my destination, not unless parking in the core becomes much more expensive.
Northfield is supposed to have some sort of park and ride facility, unless that has been dropped.
I think they're just calling the lot for Northfield Crossing a Park and Ride. It's not like they're making a new ion-specific facility (which is a shame).

I'm a huge fan of Park and Ride lots when visiting other cities. We always get a hotel next to the end station on a line. If we can't walk to the station then we can at least park there and don't have to drive downtown
There is a Park-and-Ride being built at Fairway/Wilson. It is replacing the Crabby Joe's that used to be there.

It's being built partly at the behest of Fairview Mall, as they had concerns about park-and-riders using their parking lot. It also opened up space to rebuild the bus mall to be closer to the LRT station. (which was also something that Fairview wanted; the bus mall further away and not on their land)

(06-16-2017, 11:18 AM)Canard Wrote: I think they're just calling the lot for Northfield Crossing a Park and Ride. It's not like they're making a new ion-specific facility (which is a shame).

I don't think anything up at Northfield Crossing will be an official park-and-ride. When I was last up there, it seemed that that parking was pretty tight as it was for the tenants alone.
(06-16-2017, 11:21 AM)Markster Wrote: There is a Park-and-Ride being built at Fairway/Wilson.  It is replacing the Crabby Joe's that used to be there.

It's being built partly at the behest of Fairview Mall, as they had concerns about park-and-riders using their parking lot.  It also opened up space to rebuild the bus mall to be closer to the LRT station. (which was also something that Fairview wanted; the bus mall further away and not on their land)

I imagine that both Fairview Mall and Conestoga Mall could see "informal" park and ride activity.  It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »