Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
It has been pretty quiet on the Bombardier front as of late and the next planning and works meeting is coming up on August 22nd.

Any wagers that an update report announcing another delay in our trains will be in the agenda package that comes out on the afternoon of the 18th?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(08-09-2017, 09:20 PM)Canard Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 09:10 PM)tomh009 Wrote: So was this signal house an afterthought?  It just appeared one day ...

Yep - the concrete got all jackhammered out, all the way from Kitchener Market to Cameron... all new conduits were laid in, and covered back up - huge job with tons of rework over many weeks after everything was all done.  Definitely something that was missed in the original design.

jwilliamson - thanks for the photo!  They made quick work of that, although with it being just 3 pieces, it really shouldn't have taken more than a few hours to get up and installed.

How would this get missed?  What does the signal house actually do, and why did they need to add it?  Does it house the signals? Or something else?
I don't know the answers to any of that. All I know is that Charles was all done... then they ripped it all up, and added a big giant box! Seems like something was missed for sure.

How did it get missed? People make mistakes. We designers are human, believe it or not! Big Grin
Do you think you could ask your LRT twitter buddies? Smile We could learn something!
(08-09-2017, 10:04 PM)tomh009 Wrote: How would this get missed?  What does the signal house actually do, and why did they need to add it?  Does it house the signals? Or something else?

From what I understand, the signal houses relay track information to/from the main operation office to all switches, sensors, and signals within its range of influence. This allows the operation team to monitor where the trains are and ensure switches and signals trigger at the appropriate time. They vary in size and complexity based on the number of devices in the network that need to be controlled/monitored by each signal house. Interestingly they have a limited range of 250m so they are spaced quite close to capture all the devices in the network. However, due to their limited range, if one signal house is out of commission then that section of the network is shutdown until repaired. The much larger TPSS (Traction Power Substations) can handle the loss of one station and the adjacent TPSS's can continue to power the network. If two adjacent TPSS are out of commission then that section of the network is shutdown.
Thanks ... but 250m? There surely isn't a signal house every 250m, unless they forgot to put all of those in.
Perhaps the long sections of track without road crossings or other signals don't require a signal house? I agree, 250m isn't very far apart...

What? Where is this 250m coming from? This is the first I'm hearing that number for something.
I would suspect that 250m is the farthest a signal or sensor can be from it's signal house due to voltage drop issues, not the max distance between one signal house and the next.  From what I recall the backbone of the control and monitoring system is fibre optic, which certainly wouldn't have that sort of restriction.
Right, that's what I was thinking, too.
They don't have to be 250m apart however they need to be within 250m of any switching equipment. since there's a crossover in that area this signal house would make sense for there.
I'm trying to think of where the next switching house is, north (er, west) of this one. Thre aren't any downtown that I know of - the Breithaupt TPSS is the next major piece of equipment that I recall.

A quick estimate puts those two about 1500m apart. So I'm still not sure what's up.
Don't think too hard about it, I don't think anything is up.

(08-09-2017, 09:59 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: It has been pretty quiet on the Bombardier front as of late and the next planning and works meeting is coming up on August 22nd.

Any wagers that an update report announcing another delay in our trains will be in the agenda package that comes out on the afternoon of the 18th?

Please keep us informed, if you have access to said package, please post anything you find, here.

Coming up on 6 months since Train 1 (501) was delivered - anniversary is the 27th. Pains me to say it but that's pretty bad that it hasn't even been jogged around the yard manually or anything. There will be a lot of uncomfortable questions I bet at the upcoming September Doors Open event if Train 2 isn't here by then.

(08-11-2017, 01:23 PM)Canard Wrote: Please keep us informed, if you have access to said package, please post anything you find, here.

All regional council and committee agendas and minutes are available on this page: http://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Coun...nd%20Works

You can also subscribe to email alerts when new materials are posted. Though generally it's easier to come here and get the most interesting parts. Smile
1/3 - Saturday, August 12, 2017

The look and feel of King Street has changed dramatically in Midtown.

Looking South on King, from Union.

Looking North on King, from Union.

The Waterloo Spur. This is the Southernmost point of the "Test Track", upon which LRV burn-in operations will occur, in advance of full system testing.

Waterloo Public Square turned out great, I think. Things always look so much better once some greenery goes in.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »