Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-17-2019, 12:41 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 11:38 AM)KevinL Wrote: The crossing lights at Northfield clearly still need some work. They activated before a northbound train has finished pulling into the station, and when it stopped at the platform and didn't proceed, they turned off. So a full cycle of lights and arms for nothing.

Unfortunately I have an idea this may be intentional. I believe the reason one would get if one asked (and got anything but crickets, so I’m not talking about asking @rideIONrt on Twitter) would relate to the case of the train overshooting, but I think this is basically safety paranoia. We don’t make vehicles approaching a green light stop, and then proceed only when traffic coming the other way has stopped. An LRV approaching the road (but not intending to cross yet) is no different from a large truck or bus approaching a red light.

Yep, my understanding (from forums, I'm no expert) is this is intentional behaviour required by regulations. If the arm didn't come down, and the LRV didn't stop at the station, then by the time the LRV was past the station the crossing arms wouldn't be able to come down far enough in advance of the LRV's arrival at the crossing as the regulations require. Technically there's no signal there telling trains to stop, and they're free to skip Northfield station and proceed directly onto Northfield. I'm not sure if putting a signal there for the train, that was red until the LRV stopped at the station, would change the rules (probably not, because railway regulations are ancient).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by taylortbb - 05-17-2019, 01:03 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM