Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I just took it from Fairway to Downtown, I think I was on the 3rd train to ever do the full line for the public!
A couple notes: 8 people are allowed to board per station, but I heard there were less people than they were expecting at each station so probably they are letting many more on.
The signaling system seems a little bit late (the LRV had to come to a full stop because some gates hadn't been fully down when it approached).
It goes really slowly when doing tight turns.
It's super smooth but you can hear squeaking inside, which is normal obviously.

Anyway, everyone seemed happy and excited to finally be able to ride the ION!

Well I just finished my first trip. Smile
GRT is claiming on Twitter that they arent operating on a regular schedule this weekend, and that it's a "special schedule". Anyone know what that is? Are all stations being serviced?
My understanding is that the intent for the weekend is to run the regular weekend schedule with service to all stops, but I don't have a reference I can point to to confirm.

Reading the thread on Twitter, my speculation is that this weekend is considered a special schedule in that it isn't being published to the various routing systems and they aren't necessarily making the same service level commitment that they would. Like, if a train is interrupted for any reason they might not feel the need to run the alternative bus route that they will have to do come Monday.
All stops were serviced on my run from Fairview to conestoga.
I posted to Twitter as Train #1 rode along the tracks...

https://twitter.com/coke6pk

Coke
I drove down to Fairway Station for the opening ceremony, then hopped back in my car and drove up to Conestoga Station with my family. It worked out a lot better than expected, and we ended up on the first full-length southbound train.

(06-21-2019, 01:38 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: My understanding is that the intent for the weekend is to run the regular weekend schedule with service to all stops, but I don't have a reference I can point to to confirm.

Reading the thread on Twitter, my speculation is that this weekend is considered a special schedule in that it isn't being published to the various routing systems and they aren't necessarily making the same service level commitment that they would. Like, if a train is interrupted for any reason they might not feel the need to run the alternative bus route that they will have to do come Monday.

Found the answer — regular service to all stops, but stopping at 8 today, and 10pm tomorrow and sunday
(06-21-2019, 02:26 PM)D40LF Wrote: I drove down to Fairway Station for the opening ceremony, then hopped back in my car and drove up to Conestoga Station with my family. It worked out a lot better than expected, and we ended up on the first full-length southbound train.

So you're saying driving beats the LRT Big Grin
robdrimmie Wrote:Reading the thread on Twitter, my speculation is that this weekend is considered a special schedule in that it isn't being published to the various routing systems and they aren't necessarily making the same service level commitment that they would. Like, if a train is interrupted for any reason they might not feel the need to run the alternative bus route that they will have to do come Monday.

Yes, this is basically it. If you're commuting and normally take the 200, it's best to still do so as the Ion's performance isn't guaranteed.
(06-21-2019, 01:04 PM)ac3r Wrote: I was looking at the platform itself and didn't really see anyone, so I didn't notice the line. It doesn't look too bad. I should have got in line to catch it back to Fairview, rather than the 7B. But I had a bunch of architecture journals to carry and it was hot haha. I'll go down to the market tomorrow and take the tram there and back instead.

Even though I don't live here, it's great to see this finally up and running. It's truly going to reshape this city.

It already has reshaped the city! (along with a bunch of supportive zoning and development policies).
(06-21-2019, 02:41 PM)kps Wrote:
(06-21-2019, 02:26 PM)D40LF Wrote: I drove down to Fairway Station for the opening ceremony, then hopped back in my car and drove up to Conestoga Station with my family. It worked out a lot better than expected, and we ended up on the first full-length southbound train.

So you're saying driving beats the LRT  Big Grin
Heh

We took the shuttle back to Conestoga rather than waiting in line to take the train back. I overheard a few comments about how GRT should make it a full time route.
Jeeeeesus christ, waiting at the Uptown Square station, right as a train is turning into the station from King, an SUV came flying down the tracks TOWARDS the oncoming LRV and very nearly had a head on collision. Police officers standing around and no one did anything.

(06-21-2019, 03:14 PM)D40LF Wrote: We took the shuttle back to Conestoga rather than waiting in line to take the train back. I overheard a few comments about how GRT should make it a full time route.

That idea has a long history. Before iXpress, somebody started a Conestoga/Fairview shuttle. I think it got shut down pretty quickly. Of course, at that time a hypothetical 20 minute shuttle would be competing with a 7 taking even longer than iXpress.

I still don’t know if that is a service that has high demand. The fact that it would connect the ends of the Ion in under half the Ion time doesn’t mean anything, especially not for whether or not Ion is worthwhile; Ion is about connecting lots of destinations, not just the two endpoints. But if there is sufficient demand for the end-to-end shuttle, it ought to exist as a separate service. In particular, if it could make a profit it definitely should exist.

Going further, I would suggest that the government or a designated operator should only be able to exclude a service if they already operate that service. Not sure exactly what the definition of “a service” would need to be to make this work. Even in the absence of transit subsidies, rules against jitneying are required in order to have a stable market.
https://youtu.be/tBI9TVADoXo
https://youtu.be/Vtu0K_kOM-Y
https://youtu.be/2yOZOYO9rOs
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »