Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-28-2020, 10:36 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: I took the ION this morning from Mill to Frederick stations. It departed sometime after 8:30, I neglected to note the specific time though. By the time we got to Market station it was packed full of people. It's the heaviest load I've experienced to date, but I've only been taking the train in the morning since the start of the strike.

This makes me wonder if more people are figuring out how to ride the Ion and might realize it's a better alternative to bussing or make it a part of their bussing routine. This strike could be a blessing in disguise.

(01-28-2020, 10:36 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: I took the ION this morning from Mill to Frederick stations. It departed sometime after 8:30, I neglected to note the specific time though. By the time we got to Market station it was packed full of people. It's the heaviest load I've experienced to date, but I've only been taking the train in the morning since the start of the strike.
There were a lot of cars in the Park and Ride parking lot at Fairway Station when I was up there around that time. Couldn't get a seat on the train that left at 8:40
Free Ion every Saturday and Sunday for the rest of the month, also free Family Day. So if anyones interesting in riding the Ion for free, here is your chance.
Are they doing this as a PR move, or to try to boost ridership?
(02-04-2020, 11:30 AM)Spokes Wrote: Are they doing this as a PR move, or to try to boost ridership?

Is this not just part of the general GRT free weekend in February thing?
It is basically a PR move, to make amends for the bus strike.
That's what I assumed. Much like what Ford is doing by paying off parents of young kids

(02-04-2020, 07:15 PM)Spokes Wrote: That's what I assumed.  Much like what Ford is doing by paying off parents of young kids

Except Ford is doing that during the strike as an attempt to sway public support to help his negotiation position.

This is fairly fundamentally different.
(02-04-2020, 11:30 AM)Spokes Wrote: Are they doing this as a PR move, or to try to boost ridership?

Is there a difference?
(02-04-2020, 10:05 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:

Is there a difference?

I think it has nothing to do with ridership, they're just aligning the two businesses. Not point of a free bus if you have to pay to get on the Ion.
(02-06-2020, 12:34 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 10:05 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Is there a difference?

I think it has nothing to do with ridership, they're just aligning the two businesses. Not point of a free bus if you have to pay to get on the Ion.

It is a supposed to be a single system, don't forget.
Well they are giving out fines now for people not paying fares. I just got off a train where they just told a guy that because he was previously given a warning, he is now getting a fine.
They are pretty aggressive with checking fares...definitely seems more aggressive per rider then Toronto (I think) *cough TTC*.

Do they take ID for the warning?

I can't speak to Ottawa's new LRT system, but in four years of riding the original OTrain intermittently, I only saw one person checking fares
(02-07-2020, 02:04 PM)Spokes Wrote: I can't speak to Ottawa's new LRT system, but in four years of riding the original OTrain intermittently, I only saw one person checking fares

Also more aggressive than metrolinx, I've only been checked once or twice on metrolinx, I probably get checked every other or every third ride on GRT.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »