Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(02-24-2020, 11:51 PM)KevinT Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 09:30 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Southbound, 513 was held at Waterloo Park from 11:37 to 11:47, and 502 was held at Northfield from 11:45 until midnight.

That's interesting, as the freight uses the southbound track from the Perimeter Institute to just south of Northfield. That Southbound train holding at Laurier - Waterloo Park would have to be reverse running on the northbound track. I really need to take some time to tune into the radio scanner for this and head up the line to catch this ballet in action.

There have definitely been some posts on social media about people have a reverse running ION trip. I never heard that they had to be stopped while freight goes through, but I guess that's not surprising.

The original system design had three tracks, with the freight one having a crash wall separating it from the LRV tracks. Basically Transport Canada wants LRVs to be safe even if a freight train derails, and they're not rated for that kind of impact. Perhaps they use the station as a pseudo crash wall, providing isolation between LRV and freight.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by taylortbb - 02-25-2020, 01:38 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM