Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-05-2020, 06:50 PM)creative Wrote: Out of curiosity, how should have this been designed? I’m not a civil engineer or have any experience designing LRT systems so I’m just asking!

I am not a civil engineer either, but I know of a number different options.

One would be to use a product to fill in the flangeway, there are a few rubber products, which will be depressed by the weight of the LRV, but which fill the flangeway so that a bicycle wheel cannot get stuck in it.

Another would be to design cycling into the roadway. This was already considered in the original design the region tendered, where cyclists are supposed to divert onto a MUT along King St. from Moore to Victoria. This probably would have worked okay, but the engineers in charge of detailed design and implementation were utterly incompetent, the sidewalk is too narrow to be a MUT, there is no signage, the entrance is blocked by a pole, there is no affordance to suggest to any cyclist that they should be using it. As a result the design does not function for cyclists, and there have been a number of injuries reported.

Honestly, I'm not an engineer, this is a hobby for me at best, so I shouldn't be better at it than our regional engineers and regional contractors. And I'm not saying I know all the implications of changes that these design changes would incur, but what is clear is that designing this to be safe for cyclists was not a priority.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 06-05-2020, 07:17 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM