Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Charles St GRT terminal redevelopment
(10-08-2021, 12:38 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(10-08-2021, 08:41 AM)westwardloo Wrote: I don't hate the idea of finding a place to put an indigenous hub somewhere in the region. Preferable somewhere downtown that can incorporate a museum that tells indigenous stories/ history. I am not 100% sure this is the land for that. It is probably one of the more valuable pieces of land owned by the region. They could sell it to fund the indigenous cultural hub. Maybe once the new HQ is built they could use the existing police headquarters property near the library? That is a decent sized lot which I assume the region owns and would not be looking to build residential tower on.

The indigenous hub on the police property, the very symbol of of the force used by generations of Canadian governments to oppress native peoples?

Yeah, totally sensible idea.
I am not sure why this would be seen as a negative to indigenous community? Both sites are regional owned. The police are moving from the site beside the regional building, to a new HQ beside the Centre in the Square. What better use for the land then to give it to the community and secure funding for a cultural centre/ museum in the heart of the civic centre. I doubt the land back movement/ Indigenous community would turn their nose up at the land because police use to use the site. 

Personally I think an indigenous centre needs to be a stand alone building. It can't be incorporated into a mixed-use development. This type of building needs to be a unique structure, with high level of architectural detail. The type of building that draws you in. If you stick it in the podium of a k-w designed tower i don't think it will won't have the same community benefit.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Charles St GRT terminal redevelopment - by westwardloo - 10-08-2021, 03:51 PM
RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - by ac3r - 11-19-2021, 10:01 PM