Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Charles St GRT terminal redevelopment
(01-07-2022, 10:42 AM)ac3r Wrote: Why is everyone so fixated on building an arena here? It's a stupid idea, especially downtown. The Aud sits dormant most of the year unless there is an event going on.

Hey! Long time lurker, first time caller here. I remember replying to a post on Reddit where I outlined an idea identical to the one proposed in this article.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comme...?context=3

I don't necessarily think that a single arena/concert venue is the best use of space. Rather, some combined facility that includes an arena with some event center facilities (or indigenous hub?) could give the building potential to host activities year round. I'm infatuated with the idea of being able to step out on one side of the building and have immediate access to the restaurants and bars of DTK, or choosing to bike home along the new cycling grid or spending some time in the park. 

To your point, I agree that the existing Aud is underused, and would be a waste in it's current form if moved downtown. But I think we're smart enough to take lessons from other cities who have successfully developed such projects, and to implement similar strategies that have made them successful. 

However, I personally don't care as much for the potential of the Charles Terminal site as much as I do about the Aud site. I think that area has massive potential to be redeveloped (if done thoughtfully). Perhaps by refurbishing the older parts of the existing Aud as a new community center, which itself could center a large scale development with a significant affordable housing component. I honestly wasn't aware of the "sewer trunk" cited in the article (which is funny, since I work to design water/wastewater infrastructure - I should know better!), and how it also lends itself to being prepared to take on an additional load without the need for upgrades.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Charles St GRT terminal redevelopment - by the_conestoga_guy - 01-07-2022, 11:10 AM
RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - by ac3r - 11-19-2021, 10:01 PM