Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Charles St GRT terminal redevelopment
(01-07-2022, 10:39 PM)ac3r Wrote: And while I don't agree with danbrotherston much, NIMBYism is kinda valid here. Who wants to live in a condo or historic, low rise heritage neighbourhood next to a loud and busy stadium/auditorium? Or deal with increased car traffic downtown? Not everyone wants to take the bus or LRT. We just spent all this money on narrowing streets for better bike infrastructure as well, particularly the streets right next to this location. Or, who wants to disrupt Victoria Park - which is normally a serene, relaxing place with lakes, wildlife and space for calming recreation?

So is it loud and busy, or barely used and sitting empty? I personally live right next to this, and would be happy to have an arena/event venue. I wouldn't welcome the extra traffic, but having a venue with events and sports right next to me would be a worthwhile tradeoff. That said, I don't think it's the right place for an Aud replacement, nor is it the best use of the land. I just don't think your argument makes sense as an actual neighbour to this property.

I, like some others here, would prefer this to become an extension of the park. We have a dearth of greenspace in this city (most cities do), and should take every opportunity to grow it. I would also like this publicly owned property to stay in service of the public - so if not greenspace, something community oriented would be my next preferred option.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Charles St GRT terminal redevelopment - by dtkvictim - 01-08-2022, 07:48 PM
RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - by ac3r - 11-19-2021, 10:01 PM