Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Charles St GRT terminal redevelopment
I'd rather see the land be used for park expansion and other community-oriented uses that are open and free to the public. Kitchener housing should build another building on the parking lot behind the old post office. I know the Rangers are city owned, but it's still more expensive to go to a Ranger's game than it is to go wander around a park.

I think the better spot for a new arena and convention centre would be on Gateway Park dr. where the empty big-box stores are across from silver city (or whatever that movie house is called now). Direct 401 access and future LRT goes right by there too... not really any current residential to be annoyed with people parking on the side streets and it's still a part of town that could use some encouragement to develop beyond big-box parking lots.

I think if there was enough demand for a convention centre Bingemans or someone else would have looked into building one already, I am loathe to support public money being spend on such things when there's a lot of places that have tried that whole "downtown convention centre revitalization" scheme and ended up just wasting a bunch of money on a building that sits empty most of the time.

I'm curious to see how Calgary makes out with the schemozzle they've got planned for their new arena and convention centre/etc.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Charles St GRT terminal redevelopment - by clasher - 01-12-2022, 02:04 PM
RE: General Road and Highway Discussion - by ac3r - 11-19-2021, 10:01 PM