Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West 5
Generally I hate suburban development. But the main reason is because for the last 5 or so decades we build subdivisions that are completely disconnected from the rest of the city then build strip malls for people to drive to and shop. This model is awful in terms of provided transit, community building, it Favors big box stores as opposed to mom and pop shops and list goes on. My issue with Kitchener last develop-able land is we seem to be continuing to build subdivisions like the 60's just with smaller lots. We should be encouraging more mixed use development and require a minimum density target for the last couple acres the city can develop. I feel like Markhams new subdivisions have started to require a more complete, connected and walk-able housing developments in the last decade. 

Here is an example of development on the edge of London. They seem to be looking at created a new community village that focuses more on providing a walk-able neighborhood with retail on the main floor and residential on the floors 2-5. 

This is the type of development I wish the boardwalk/ Sportsworld had inspired to be instead of a sea of empty parking spaces with chain box stores. Obviously people on the west side needed a convenient place to shop I just wish there was a bit of a visionary when i came to that development. On that note I think south Kitchener will need something similar to the boardwalk in the next decade so I hope the city/developer has a bit of courage to do something different and provide a true community hub for the residence.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
West 5 - by westwardloo - 11-29-2019, 02:21 PM
RE: West 5 - by KevinL - 11-29-2019, 02:43 PM
RE: West 5 - by timc - 11-29-2019, 02:51 PM
RE: West 5 - by Spokes - 11-30-2019, 07:58 AM
RE: West 5 - by ijmorlan - 11-30-2019, 12:53 PM
RE: West 5 - by jeffster - 11-29-2019, 09:54 PM
RE: West 5 - by westwardloo - 11-30-2019, 09:57 AM
RE: West 5 - by Spokes - 12-02-2019, 10:55 PM