Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The Junction | 37 & 33 fl | Proposed
(01-19-2020, 04:03 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 12:53 AM)Bjays93 Wrote: I'd personally like to see a little more height variation. Maybe swap out one of the 3 long apartments for two mid rises?

Having a pair of 10-15 story towers in this area would fit nicely I think

At least 15 story would have been better -- but they've been in business long enough to realize that sometimes pissing of neighbours within a 30KM (I know, I exaggerate) distance despite whatever zoning there is, isn't worth the hassle in the long run. As I said previously, 5 floor buildings do not stand out and it's super unlikely that you'll get a single complaint.

Still, when I looked at the vacant property so close to the Ion, I had thought something along the lines of what Drewlo is doing in front of CHCI, in terms of size anyway.

At 500 units, the concept is quite comparable in size to the Drewlo project, no?  Although on a larger site.

But could be even bigger, no? I'm not sure what kind of density this allows.
One imagines that it could always be bigger, but market realities set in at some point. Keep in mind how much of the surrounding area remains ripe for higher density redevelopment.
(01-12-2020, 11:50 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Yes  correct  that was Wendels  Steven's was where the twin towers are being built  Wow  I forgot about Wendels there

The Drewlo site had both Stevens Mercury and Gascho Jeep. Both were quite run down by the late 1970s already.
I am very, very happy to see this. I just hope they are planning to include some affordable units in the development.
(01-21-2020, 11:11 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I am very, very happy to see this. I just hope they are planning to include some affordable units in the development.

Has a condo development EVER done this locally?
I don't believe so .

(01-22-2020, 01:52 AM)Lens Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 11:11 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I am very, very happy to see this. I just hope they are planning to include some affordable units in the development.

Has a condo development EVER done this locally?

Do we know that this is condos, rather than rental buildings? I don't see any indication of the project type on the web site.
(01-22-2020, 12:10 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-22-2020, 01:52 AM)Lens Wrote: Has a condo development EVER done this locally?

Do we know that this is condos, rather than rental buildings? I don't see any indication of the project type on the web site.

The developer describes "residences" rather than "apartments", which could suggest condos, but not necessarily.  By the time this is built, the market could have shifted to favour rentals over condos.
Drewlo is doing purpose build for rent 100m down the road at Cameron and King...I believe Vive(?) Is doing for rent right across the street from Drewlo on King also. Aren't those 2 also 'condo developers'?
(01-20-2020, 10:47 AM)panamaniac Wrote: One imagines that it could always be bigger, but market realities set in at some point.  Keep in mind how much of the surrounding area remains ripe for higher density redevelopment.

Market realities right now is that we have a severe housing shortage. Which explains sky-high rental costs. I don't think the market is even close to saturation yet and won't be with the list of current project. We need a lot more going on to make a difference.
(01-22-2020, 01:26 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Drewlo is doing purpose build for rent 100m down the road at Cameron and King...I believe Vive(?) Is doing for rent right across the street from Drewlo on King also. Aren't those 2 also 'condo developers'?

Drewlo is exclusively rentals
So you know how on the corner there's supposed to be a multi use pad or whatever they called it. There's a for sale sign on that corner today. Wonder if it's just that corner or if it's the whole project.

There's a second 'for sale' sign from a different realtor on the section of the site that has the three towers.
What's the scene with this development?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »