Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
Are the local hospitals fully up and running again in terms of elective surgeries?

Due to the weekend, Waterloo Region reported three days' worth of data today. A total of 24 cases, a significant jump. The new case increase is an average 0.6% of the total cases to date (for the weekend) and 9.4% of the current active caseload. Active cases in the region are back up to 88, up 12 over the weekend, and down only one in the past seven days. New cases averaging 7.0% of actives over the past seven days.

An average of 1092 people tested in the region over the weekend, with a 0.7% positivity rate. Over the last seven days, we are averaging 854 tests (better!) per day and a 0.7% positivity rate.

Ontario reported 161 new cases, another new low, for a seven-day average of 181 new cases. 214 recoveries and only three deaths translate to a decrease of 56 active cases, now down to 2,095, and a weekly total change of -535. 21,900 tests today for a low 0.7% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging just 0.75% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.5% of the total and 7.7% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 7.9% of actives over the past seven days.

The hospital population dropped again, now to 265 (-21) as did the ICU population, to 76 (-10).
Waterloo Region reported just four new cases today. The new case increase is an average 0.3% of the total cases to date and 4.6% of the current active caseload. Active cases in the region are back down to 87, down one, and down six in the past seven days. New cases averaging 6.6% of actives over the past seven days.

1249 people tested in the region (likely a new record, the 2241 reported on Friday probably included cases from multiple days), with a 0.3% positivity rate. Over the last seven days, we are averaging 1,008 tests (good!) per day and a 0.6% positivity rate.

Ontario reported 216 new cases, first time over 200 in the past 10 days, for a seven-day average of 186 new cases. 174 recoveries and 10 deaths translate to an increase of 32 active cases, so up to 2,127, and a weekly total change of -458. 16,189 tests today for a 1.3% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging just 0.8% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.6% of the total and 10.2% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 8.3% of actives over the past seven days.

The hospital population is back up to 288 (+23) but the ICU population edged down to 75 (-1).
Waterloo Region reported 11 new cases today. The new case increase is an average 0.9% of the total cases to date and 12.0% of the current active caseload. Active cases in the region are back up to 92, up five, and up seven in the past seven days. Essentially stable, but no better than that. New cases averaging 8.0% of actives over the past seven days.

104  people reported tested in the region after 1249 yesterday. This seems an unlikely drop so probably there are some reporting lags on the testing in the region. A 10.6% positivity rate due to the small number of reported tests. Over the last seven days, we are averaging 1,002 tests (good!) per day and a very good 0.7% positivity rate. Just need to ignore the daily fluctuations.

Ontario reported only 163 new cases, for a seven-day average of 182 new cases. 229 recoveries and 12 deaths translate to a drop of 78 active cases, now down to 2,049, and a weekly total change of -361. 23,207 tests today for a 0.7% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging just 0.8% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.5% of the total and 8.0% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 8.3% of actives over the past seven days.

The hospital population is back down to 278 (-10) and the ICU population dropped down to a new low of 73 (-2).
(06-24-2020, 11:55 AM)tomh009 Wrote: 104  people reported tested in the region after 1249 yesterday. This seems an unlikely drop so probably there are some reporting lags on the testing in the region.

The drive-thru testing site at Catalyst 137 was closed due to inclement weather on Tuesday, might that be a factor in the drop?
(06-25-2020, 08:58 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 11:55 AM)tomh009 Wrote: 104  people reported tested in the region after 1249 yesterday. This seems an unlikely drop so probably there are some reporting lags on the testing in the region.

The drive-thru testing site at Catalyst 137 was closed due to inclement weather on Tuesday, might that be a factor in the drop?

That could well explain it!

What I really found negative was that there were 11 positives in only 104 tests, that's more than 10%. The WR numbers aren't horrible (even without comparing them to the tire fire south of the border) but they are not as good as they should be.
Waterloo Region reported nine new cases today. The new case increase is an average 0.7% of the total cases to date and 9.3% of the current active caseload. Active cases in the region are back up to 97, again up five, and up 11 in the past seven days. That's not out of control, but it is the wrong trend ...

732  people reported tested in the region, with a 1.2% positivity rate. Over the last seven days, we are averaging 1,086 tests (good!) per day and a very good 0.7% positivity rate.

Ontario reported 189 new cases, for a seven-day average of 184 new cases. 192 recoveries and 10 deaths translate to a drop of 13 active cases, now down to 2,036, and a weekly total change of -324. 27,511 tests today for a 0.7% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging just 0.8% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.6% of the total and 9.3% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 8.6% of actives over the past seven days.

The hospital population is back down to 270 (-8) and the ICU population is at another new low of 69 (-4).

Council will be voting in early July on whether or not we should implement a bylaw mandating masks. Frankly, they should, despite some people claiming that there is not enough evidence to support that. In reality, there is plenty of evidence supporting it, and in countries and cities across the world where they have had mandatory masks, the case numbers have fallen way down. We just had 9 new cases confirmed today, all thought to be due to community transmission.
(06-25-2020, 04:20 PM)ac3r Wrote: Council will be voting in early July on whether or not we should implement a bylaw mandating masks. Frankly, they should, despite some people claiming that there is not enough evidence to support that. In reality, there is plenty of evidence supporting it, and in countries and cities across the world where they have had mandatory masks, the case numbers have fallen way down. We just had 9 new cases confirmed today, all thought to be due to community transmission.

Good. I had to do a run into the office to fix a machine yesterday, and on the LRT, most people did not wear masks. (I wear one when inside businesses and on LRT/Busses. While I find them stuffy, I won't be one of those covidiots that wear it on their chin/Only covering their mouth/cutting holes in it)
I was at Home Depot the other day and the person manning the self-checkouts was wearing their mask under the chin but then also getting really up close and in customer's space. Ugh...

In happier news, my Zehrs is now allowing us to bring reusable shopping bags again with the condition that customers have to pack them themselves.
I also find them stuffy; I need to carry more water to hydrate myself, and tissues to clear my nostrils, than usual. But I still take care to wear it whenever I'm indoors (including on transit) other than my home.
Good on all of you. As a recent social media post said, wearing a mask is not a political statement, it's an IQ test!
Now, as to that dumpster fire a little to the south of us, here are some seven-day figures for selected states:

Not only us Florida seeing 5000 cases per day, but 13% of their tests are positive! By comparison, Ontario's positivity rate is only 0.8% ... 166,000 tests and under 1,300 positive cases from those.

I'm in favour of keeping the border closed for the rest of the summer.

(06-25-2020, 08:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Now, as to that dumpster fire a little to the south of us, here are some seven-day figures for selected states:

Not only us Florida seeing 5000 cases per day, but 13% of their tests are positive! By comparison, Ontario's positivity rate is only 0.8% ... 166,000 tests and under 1,300 positive cases from those.

I'm in favour of keeping the border closed for the rest of the summer.

How about the rest of the pandemic.
(06-25-2020, 08:56 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: How about the rest of the pandemic.

It doesn’t need to be completely closed. How about all people coming into the country are tested at the border. Positive test means they go back. Negative means they spend 2 weeks in quarantine, with random inspections to make sure they are in their hotel room (I’m OK with not literally keeping them locked in a re-purposed jail).

I actually feel there should be a way to cross the border. But I think it needs to be a way that ensures there is no cross-border transmission, something like the above. And this needs to continue until the USA has a lower or equal per capita case rate to Canada.

One other concern: unofficial crossings are never closed. What are we doing about that?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »