Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
Waterloo Region  reported only one new case today; the new case increase was 0.1% of the total cases to date and 2.0% of the current active caseload. New cases averaging 5.7% of actives over the past seven days. Active cases in the region were down to 49 (-4), and up by two in the past seven days.

Next testing update on Friday.

Ontario reported only 103 new cases today, after the higher numbers of the past five days, with a seven-day average of 150 new cases. 151 recoveries and zero deaths translated to a decrease of 48 active cases, so down to 1,1492, after a weekly total change of +127. 25,201 tests for a 0.4% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 0.59% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.3% of the total and 6.9% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 10.1% of actives over the past seven days.

The ICU population is at 35 (-2) now, down from yesterday but up almost 40% from a week ago.
  • 23 cases in Windsor-Essex: 12.8 per 100K population
  • 24 cases in Toronto: 0.9 per 100K population
  • 15 cases in Peel: 1.5 per 100K population
  • 14 cases in Ottawa: 1.4 per 100K population
  • 1 case in Waterloo: 0.1 per 100K population

All regions improved from yesterday ... but one swallow does not a spring make.

It seems strange to me that we would have such a surge for only a few days.
(07-23-2020, 11:22 AM)jamincan Wrote: It seems strange to me that we would have such a surge for only a few days.

By the same logic that a single day increase isn't indicative of a trend, a single day drop is not indicative of a trend either Smile. We will have to wait and see.
Waterloo Region  reported nine new cases today, the most since 30 June; the new case increase was 0.7% of the total cases to date and 17.3% of the current active caseload. New cases averaging 7.6% of actives over the past seven days. Active cases in the region were up to 52 (+3), and up by five in the past seven days.

The past three days averaged 404 tests per day, and a 1.0% positivity rate; the past seven days' positivity rate averages 0.85%.

Ontario reported 195 new cases today, the fifth day in the last seven with 150+ new cases, with a seven-day average of 162 new cases. 137 recoveries and three deaths translated to a increase of 55 active cases, so up to 1,542, after a weekly total change of +134. 28,209 tests for a 0.7% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 0.64% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.5% of the total and 12.6% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 10.8% of actives over the past seven days.

The ICU population is down to 31 (-4).
  • 57 cases in Windsor-Essex: 31.7 per 100K population
  • 31 cases in Toronto: 1.2 per 100K population
  • 27 cases in Ottawa: 2.7 per 100K population
  • 18 cases in Peel: 1.8 per 100K population
  • 13 cases in Chatham-Kent: 12.6 per 100K population
  • 9 cases in Waterloo: 1.5 per 100K population

All regions back up, and Chatham breaks into the 10+ case wall of shame as well. Yesterday looks like an outlier now.
Waterloo Region  will next report on Monday.

Ontario reported 138 new cases today, back below 150, with a seven-day average of 156 new cases. 140 recoveries and only one death translated to a decrease of three active cases, so down to 1,544, after a weekly total change of +146. 29,904 tests for a 0.5% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 0.44% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.4% of the total and 8,9% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 10.4% of actives over the past seven days.

The ICU population is down to 30 (-1).
  • 33 cases in Windsor-Essex: 18.3 per 100K population
  • 28 cases in Ottawa: 2.8 per 100K population
  • 23 cases in Toronto: 0.8 per 100K population
  • 12 cases in Peel: 1.2 per 100K population
  • 1 case in Waterloo: 0.3 per 100K population

Chatham down to three cases and off the wall of shame. Can Windsor and Ottawa get things under control?
I wonder if we’re looking at a sort of “steady state” that will last until the kids go back to school?
I think the question is whether the mask bylaws will be enough to compensate for the openings -- and whether people will realize that it's not over yet.

School openings will not improve the COVID situation. It's unclear, though, how much negative impact they might have.

(07-25-2020, 06:37 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I think the question is whether the mask bylaws will be enough to compensate for the openings -- and whether people will realize that it's not over yet.

School openings will not improve the COVID situation. It's unclear, though, how much negative impact they might have.
Well, we’ll know by the end of September ...
(07-25-2020, 05:48 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I wonder if we’re looking at a sort of “steady state” that will last until the kids go back to school?

These have a bad habit of getting away from communities... but there's a Montreal Gazette piece saying that we shouldn't panic.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-n...xperts-say

I heard that Calgary has more active cases (703) than GGH?
(07-26-2020, 03:26 AM)plam Wrote: I heard that Calgary has more active cases (703) than GGH?

The caveat here is that the methods of counting active cases vary. I track those in Ontario since the Ontario method stays consistent, but it's not necessarily comparable with other jurisdictions.
Waterloo Region  will next report on Monday.

Ontario reported 137 new cases today, with a seven-day average of 154 new cases. 119 recoveries and four deaths translated to an increase of 14 active cases, up to 1,558, after a weekly total change of +112. 26,144 tests for a 0.5% positivity rate. The positivity rate is averaging 0.61% for the past seven days.

The new cases are 0.4% of the total and 8.8% of the number of active cases. New cases averaging 10.0% of actives over the past seven days.

The ICU population is down to 29 (-1).
  • 39 cases in Toronto: 1.3 per 100K population
  • 26 cases in Ottawa: 2.6 per 100K population
  • 25 cases in Windsor-Essex: 13.9 per 100K population
  • 12 cases in Peel: 1.2 per 100K population
  • 6 cases in Waterloo: 1.0 per 100K population
So over this weekend I noticed a few Karens not wearing masks. I did ask a couple in a casual way why they weren't, all had the same excuse, 'asthma'. I have asthma, and it can get bad at times, enough to need the rescue inhaler. Either way, a mask has zero affect on asthma. Zero. Like, literally nothing. I would understand COPD -- though those folks usually have a medical assistance device with them. I did notice a couple men not wearing masks properly, only covering their mouth.

I think we might have to do a better job to educate people why we wear masks -- not to protect ourselves, but to protect others. I saw a really good illustration explaining it. It was 3 picture outlines of 2 men. Picture one, neither men dressed, and the one guy pisses on the other guy. The other guy gets wet. Second picture. the "other guy" is wearing clothing, while the naked guy pisses on him. The 'other guy' has some protection, but likely might get a little wet. The third picture the pissing guy is wearing clothing, and the clothing contains the piss entirely, so the other guy stays completely dry, regardless if he's dressed or not.
(07-26-2020, 10:40 AM)tomh009 Wrote: [*]6 cases in Waterloo: 1.8 per 100K population

Is that a misprint? Shouldn't that be closer to 1.1 per 100K population? I am actually noticing that all of the ones for Waterloo Region seem incorrect -- the "per 100K" is indicating a population of about 300,000.

I've been noticing near universal compliance at my grocery store; but I did notice two couples walking in as I left without any masks on. I mean, maybe all four of them have breathing issues, but I think there are simpler explanations and any breathing issues they have are likely self-diagnosed and only discovered within the last few weeks.

Truthfully, it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. We don't need 100% mask usage to derive a benefit. All we can do is keep social pressure high to keep the number using masks as high as possible. I looked them in the eyes and gave them a nasty glare and that was really all I can do.
(07-27-2020, 12:29 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 10:40 AM)tomh009 Wrote: [*]6 cases in Waterloo: 1.8 per 100K population
[*]
Is that a misprint? Shouldn't that be closer to 1.1 per 100K population?  I am actually noticing that all of the ones for Waterloo Region seem incorrect -- the "per 100K" is indicating a population of about 300,000.

Some sloppy math, sorry! Will fix those.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »