Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
(06-27-2021, 01:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 202,672 doses of vaccine administered, with a seven-day average at 210,856 (previous week was 191,755). 67.00% of total provincial population vaccinated (+0.19% from yesterday, +1.27% from 7 days ago), 28.89% fully vaccinated (+1.20% from yesterday, +8.76% from 7 days ago).

Thanks for the ongoing updates! I think it would be useful to have the + from 14 days ago to distinguish people who are fully protected vs who are fully dosed. That two-dose number is really increasing fast.

I don't think that Alberta teen was COVID, nor are there any known variants that are going to return false positives. Probably something else but the medical system will find out...

(06-27-2021, 06:59 PM)plam Wrote:
(06-27-2021, 01:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 202,672 doses of vaccine administered, with a seven-day average at 210,856 (previous week was 191,755). 67.00% of total provincial population vaccinated (+0.19% from yesterday, +1.27% from 7 days ago), 28.89% fully vaccinated (+1.20% from yesterday, +8.76% from 7 days ago).

Thanks for the ongoing updates! I think it would be useful to have the + from 14 days ago to distinguish people who are fully protected vs who are fully dosed. That two-dose number is really increasing fast.

I don't think that Alberta teen was COVID, nor are there any known variants that are going to return false positives. Probably something else but the medical system will find out...

Ontario 14 days ago:
Total vaccinated: 9,410,285 (63.93%)
Fully vaccinated: 1,796,782 (12.21%)

Waterloo Region 14 days ago:
Total vaccinated: 392,965 (56.47%)
Fully vaccinated: 144,135(17.14%)
Current 7-day Covid-19 per 100k

Region of Waterloo Public Health and Emergency Services 67.9
• Grey Bruce Health Unit 67.1
• North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit 45.5
• Lambton Public Health 29.0
• Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health 16.0
• City of Hamilton Public Health Services 15.4
• Public Health Sudbury & Districts 15.1
• Toronto Public Health 12.9
• Peel Public Health 12.8
• Niagara Region Public Health 12.3

TOTAL ONTARIO 13.5

I think we might be reaching a low for Covid-19 for Ontario. The 13.5 cases per 100k per week works out to about 103k cases per year. With a current mortality of 0.33%, this works out to about 340 deaths. It seems low though my numbers could be off. However, it likely would mean that vaccines are working very well though. The flu typically takes about 7,000 per year in Canada.

Regarding Grey Bruce: I spoke to someone that works for the health unit, and, like Waterloo Region, they seemed to have missed the homeless population. Second problem is getting to those that live more remotely. While their numbers could end up being worse that Waterloo Region, they won't stay move back to stage 1. (and to be honest, I think we're making a mistake staying in stage 1).
MONDAY 2021-06-28

Waterloo Region reported 62 new cases for today (13.2% of the active cases) and zero more for yesterday for 62; 383 new cases for the week (-5 from yesterday, -34 from last week), averaging 10.7% of active cases. 487 active cases, -79 in the last seven days.

Next testing report on Tuesday.

27,241 doses of vaccine administered over the last three days, with a seven-day average at 8,985 (previous week was 7,756). 61.71% of total regional population vaccinated (+0.66% from Friday, +1.48% from 7 days ago), 22.88% fully vaccinated (+3.64% from Friday, +8.52% from 7 days ago).

Ontario reported 210 new cases today with a seven-day average of 267 (-8). 326 recoveries and three deaths translated to a decrease of 119 active cases and a new total of 2,506. -948 active cases for the week and 53 deaths (seven per day). 13,071 tests with a positivity rate of 1.61%. The positivity rate is averaging 1.24% for the past seven days, compared to 1.49% for the preceding seven. 224 patients in ICU (-6 today, -44 for the week).

New case variants reported today (these are substantially delayed so they do not match the new case numbers):
  • Alpha (B.1.1.7): 83
  • Beta (B.1.351): 68
  • Delta (B.1.617): 286
  • Gamma (P.1): 35
That's over 500 Delta cases identified in the past two days.

180,369 doses of vaccine administered, with a seven-day average at 219,676 (previous week was 189,333). 67.13% of total provincial population vaccinated (+0.13% from yesterday, +1.26% from 7 days ago), 29.38% fully vaccinated (+1.09% from yesterday, +9.19% from 7 days ago).
  • 26 cases in Waterloo: 4.2 per 100K (based on provincial reporting)
  • 4 cases in Brant: 2.9 per 100K
  • 12 cases in Niagara: 2.7 per 100K
  • 3 cases in Lambton: 2.3 per 100K
  • 2 cases in Northwestern: 2.3 per 100K
  • 9 cases in Middlesex-London: 2.2 per 100K
  • 12 cases in Hamilton: 2.1 per 100K
  • 10 cases in Durham: 1.5 per 100K
  • 7 cases in Simcoe-Muskoka: 1.3 per 100K
  • 37 cases in Toronto: 1.3 per 100K
  • 3 cases in Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph: 1.1 per 100K
  • 15 cases in Peel: 1.1 per 100K
  • 4 cases in Windsor-Essex: 1.0 per 100K
  • 1 cases in Huron Perth: 1.0 per 100K
  • 10 cases in Ottawa: 1.0 per 100K
(06-27-2021, 10:48 PM)jeffster Wrote: Regarding Grey Bruce: I spoke to someone that works for the health unit, and, like Waterloo Region, they seemed to have missed the homeless population. Second problem is getting to those that live more remotely. While their numbers could end up being worse that Waterloo Region, they won't stay move back to stage 1. (and to be honest, I think we're making a mistake staying in stage 1).

Interesting. I didn't know Grey Bruce has a large homeless population. It's a very rural area apart from Owen Sound and maybe Wiarton.
(06-22-2021, 10:42 AM)Acitta Wrote: I told him about Flair Airlines service from Halifax to Waterloo, but apparently he can't fly without being vaccinated.

Vaccination records are medical records than can't be demanded of (yet - Poland has made double vax a requirement of entry, so proof of that could be required.  As well, post July 5, the vax receipts must be uploaded to the ArriveCAN app to be quarentine exempt, something the airline has the right to see) --- So I find this extremely hard to believe.  A negative COVID test is plausible (Although I believe only international flights are demanding this)

Coke
(06-28-2021, 03:40 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(06-22-2021, 10:42 AM)Acitta Wrote: I told him about Flair Airlines service from Halifax to Waterloo, but apparently he can't fly without being vaccinated.

Vaccination records are medical records than can't be demanded of (yet - Poland has made double vax a requirement of entry, so proof of that could be required.  As well, post July 5, the vax receipts must be uploaded to the ArriveCAN app to be quarentine exempt, something the airline has the right to see) --- So I find this extremely hard to believe.  A negative COVID test is plausible (Although I believe only international flights are demanding this)

Coke

Vaccination records are medical in nature which makes them subject to certain privacy laws. But they are absolutely able to be demanded. For example, I had to provide vaccination records to the childcare facility my daughter is at, as I would have to for school. As is Ryerson requiring vaccination for students staying in res (despite UW claiming they could not do this).

I am not aware if airlines are making it a requirement, but I don't think it's impossible.

(06-28-2021, 03:40 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: Vaccination records are medical records than can't be demanded of (yet - Poland has made double vax a requirement of entry, so proof of that could be required.

Huh? There are tons of countries out there that require vaccinations and proof you've had them before you're allowed in - especially if you're coming from a risk area. Many South American and African countries won't let you in without. Yellow Fever vaccination is one of the most common, but there are a few other vaccines required in certain countries.
Current 7-day Covid-19 per 100k

• Grey Bruce Health Unit 78.9
Region of Waterloo Public Health and Emergency Services 64.9
• North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit 46.2
• Lambton Public Health 29.8
• City of Hamilton Public Health Services 16.2
• Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health 16.0
• Toronto Public Health 12.6
• Niagara Region Public Health 12.3
• Peel Public Health 11.1
• Public Health Sudbury & Districts 10.6

• TOTAL ONTARIO 13.1

Grey Bruce continues to trend upwards as Waterloo Region stabilizes.

There is a homeless issue in Owen Sound, if some are wondering. This health unit has close to 190,000 in population, so a little less than 1/3 of WR.
Current 7-day Covid-19 cases per 100k

• Grey Bruce Health Unit 83.0
Region of Waterloo Public Health and Emergency Services 66.2
• North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit 46.2
• Lambton Public Health 27.5
• Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health 16.4
• City of Hamilton Public Health Services 15.9
• Niagara Region Public Health 14.6
• Toronto Public Health 12.9
• Windsor-Essex County Health Unit 11.8
• Peel Public Health 11.1

TOTAL ONTARIO 13.1

Grey Bruce should start dropping rapidly as have been working OT to get marginalized residents (mostly those with shelter issues and drug addicts) vaccinated. Region of Waterloo seems to have stabilized a bit with its current number (about a bit from yesterday), with no real sign of dropping quickly.

Ontario will report 130 cases for Toronto, and 69 for RoW — however, Toronto only had 40 cases with 90 cases for clean-up (from 2020). The CBC reported 209 cases today for Ontario, and no 299 as reported by the province (due to Toronto’s numbers).
Should be noted that Waterloo Region will be the only PHU held back. Porcupine PHU will also be moving to stage 2 for most of its areas.

Good job, Waterloo! Keep up the great work.
ac3r Wrote:
Coke6pk Wrote:Vaccination records are medical records than can't be demanded of (yet - Poland has made double vax a requirement of entry, so proof of that could be required.

Huh? There are tons of countries out there that require vaccinations and proof you've had them before you're allowed in - especially if you're coming from a risk area. Many South American and African countries won't let you in without. Yellow Fever vaccination is one of the most common, but there are a few other vaccines required in certain countries.

Sorry, I was referring to COVID vax only.  Yes, I have my Vax passport with all of my vaccinations to enter any country.  So far, only Poland had made double vax a requirement -- therefore COVID VACCINATIONS cannot be demanded by airlines unless that is your destination (or transit point).  As more countries add this, more destinations will require proof.

I was referring to it being a requirement for a domestic flight.  I've flown internationally 15-20 times since COVID started, and not a single airline has asked about (COVID) vaccination.

Coke
(06-29-2021, 12:46 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: Sorry, I was referring to COVID vax only.  Yes, I have my Vax passport with all of my vaccinations to enter any country.  So far, only Poland had made double vax a requirement -- therefore COVID VACCINATIONS cannot be demanded by airlines unless that is your destination (or transit point).  As more countries add this, more destinations will require proof.

I was referring to it being a requirement for a domestic flight.  I've flown internationally 15-20 times since COVID started, and not a single airline has asked about (COVID) vaccination.

Coke

Right, yeah, that makes sense. Being vaccinated eases the process of flying internationally at the very least, which is good.

Domestically, I don't know how it works. I don't know if a province something like require vaccinations. We have Mobility Rights within our charter that grant us free mobility throughout the country, and I don't think any province can supersede that federal right we posses...but I'm not well versed in these sort of laws. Of course they can close borders as some provinces did, but that's different than forbidding anyone from not flying/entering lest they have been vaccinated. I'm guessing the person Acitta was talking about was misinformed regarding the necessity of being mandatorily vaccinated.

TUESDAY 2021-06-29

Waterloo Region reported 38 new cases for today (7.8% of the active cases) and two more for yesterday for 64; 378 new cases for the week (-5 from yesterday, -44 from last week), averaging 10.7% of active cases. 477 active cases, -77 in the last seven days.

An average of 932 tests/day for the past week, and a positivity rate of 5.80%, down from 6.90% last week.

8,565 doses of vaccine administered, with a seven-day average at 9,169 (previous week was 7,780). 63.12% of total regional population vaccinated (+1.41% from yesterday, +2.66% from 7 days ago), 24.48% fully vaccinated (+1.60% from yesterday, +9.22% from 7 days ago).

Ontario reported 209 new cases today (excluding the 90 cases from 202 that were reported by Toronto) with a seven-day average of 266 (-1). 371 recoveries and 25 deaths translated to a decrease of 97 active cases and a new total of 2,409. -839 active cases for the week and 72 deaths (10 per day). 28,306 tests with a positivity rate of 0.74%. The positivity rate is averaging 1.16% for the past seven days, compared to 1.43% for the preceding seven. 213 patients in ICU (-11 today, -43 for the week).

New case variants reported today (these are substantially delayed so they do not match the new case numbers):
  • Alpha (B.1.1.7): 31
  • Beta (B.1.351): 42
  • Delta (B.1.617): 75
  • Gamma (P.1): 11

265,231 doses of vaccine administered, with a seven-day average at 229,062 (previous week was 191,411). 67.31% of total provincial population vaccinated (+0.18% from yesterday, +1.26% from 7 days ago), 31.00% fully vaccinated (+1.62% from yesterday, +9.63% from 7 days ago).
  • 69 cases in Waterloo: 11.2 per 100K (based on provincial reporting)
  • 19 cases in Durham: 2.9 per 100K
  • 3 cases in Chatham-Kent: 2.8 per 100K
  • 10 cases in Niagara: 2.2 per 100K
  • 6 cases in Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph: 2.2 per 100K
  • 8 cases in Windsor-Essex: 2.1 per 100K
  • 9 cases in Hamilton: 1.6 per 100K
  • 20 cases in Peel: 1.4 per 100K
  • 40 cases in Toronto: 1.4 per 100K
  • 7 cases in Halton: 1.3 per 100K
  • 2 cases in Kingston Frontenac: 1.0 per 100K
(06-29-2021, 12:56 PM)ac3r Wrote: We have Mobility Rights within our charter that grant us free mobility throughout the country, and I don't think any province can supersede that federal right we posses...but I'm not well versed in these sort of laws. Of course they can close borders as some provinces did, but that's different than forbidding anyone from not flying/entering lest they have been vaccinated.

Right, requiring vaccination is much less restrictive than closing the border. It would be insane if provinces could close the border but couldn’t require vaccination. Mobility rights don’t (or at least shouldn’t) mean we can go wherever we want whenever we want without having to follow any rules at all.

At this point it’s not even really a restriction at all — it’s just something you have to do. Nobody (well, almost nobody, and we wouldn’t listen) would complain about having to have a driver’s license to drive across a provincial border.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »