Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
(08-16-2021, 12:01 PM)tomh009 Wrote: And at remote outposts (such as coast guard, fisheries and oceans, northern affairs, northern development, parks, RCMP etc) how would they even set up a testing collection capability?

Really, not very well thought through.

To be fair, at a sufficiently remote outpost there isn’t much risk of getting infected.

But overall, massive testing just isn’t as good vaccinating.

tomh009 Wrote:
Coke6pk Wrote:Being an already vaccinated Fed, I was happy to hear the news of mandatory vaccinations.  I was afraid that the Union was going to fight it, but the other day PSAC came out in full support of having healthy workplaces, as long as those that are medically exempt would be accommodated (which makes sense).

O'Toole likely thinks that remote workers can just mail their daily tests (assuming the community has daily mail service) to a centralized location, and in 14 days they can get the results back.  What could go wrong?

And at remote outposts (such as coast guard, fisheries and oceans, northern affairs, northern development, parks, RCMP etc) how would they even set up a testing collection capability?

No different than the tests done by those in quarantine.  Self administered, then sent by mail.

Not an effective solution, but likely what he would say he had in mind if he gave his plan some actual thought.

Coke
I'll just say it. I'm fine with mandatory testing or vaccination. There's going to have to be some sort of mandatory testing set up for those who have legitimate reasons to not get vaccinated (like myself) I think it's a reasonable middle ground to allow people some choice if they so desire. Eventually most people on the fence would get vaccinated cuz its far more convenient anyway. 

Masks should of course remain mandatory for those who are unvaxed and have tested negative
(08-16-2021, 12:48 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 12:01 PM)tomh009 Wrote: And at remote outposts (such as coast guard, fisheries and oceans, northern affairs, northern development, parks, RCMP etc) how would they even set up a testing collection capability?

To be fair, at a sufficiently remote outpost there isn’t much risk of getting infected.

An RCMP outpost, for example, at a remote northern settlement might only have one or two officers -- but they would be interacting with everyone else in the community.
(08-16-2021, 01:40 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: I'll just say it. I'm fine with mandatory testing or vaccination. There's going to have to be some sort of mandatory testing set up for those who have legitimate reasons to not get vaccinated (like myself) I think it's a reasonable middle ground to allow people some choice if they so desire. Eventually most people on the fence would get vaccinated cuz its far more convenient anyway. 

Masks should of course remain mandatory for those who are unvaxed and have tested negative

Masks need to be mandatory for everyone, for the time being. There is no practical way to check every unmasked person for vaccination status.
MONDAY 2021-08-16

Waterloo Region reported 18 new cases for today (12.5% of the active cases) and zero additional for yesterday for 21; 129 new cases for the week (-4 from yesterday and +2 from last week), averaging 12.5% of active cases. 143 active cases, -11 in the last seven days.

Next testing report on Tuesday.

5,119 doses of vaccine administered over the last three days, with a seven-day average at 2,006 (previous week was 2,258). 69.16% of total regional population vaccinated (+0.19% from Friday, +0.46% from 7 days ago), 62.28% fully vaccinated (+0.69% from Friday, +2.04% from 7 days ago).

Ontario reported 526 new cases today with a seven-day average of 469 (+29), compared to 283 a week ago. 321 recoveries and zero deaths translated to an increase of 205 active cases and a new total of 3,872. +1,498 active cases for the week and eight deaths (one per day). 15,784 tests with a positivity rate of 3.33%. The positivity rate is averaging 2.30% for the past seven days, compared to 1.61% for the preceding seven. 92 patients in ICU (+3 today, +10 for the week) with COVID-19.

26,033 doses of vaccine administered, with a seven-day average at 44,531 (previous week was 49,356). 72.25% of total provincial population vaccinated (+0.04% from yesterday, +0.49% from 7 days ago), 65.11% fully vaccinated (+0.14% from yesterday, +1.63% from 7 days ago).

New case variants reported today (these are substantially delayed so they do not match the new case numbers):
  • Alpha (B.1.1.7): 4
  • Beta (B.1.351): 0
  • Delta (B.1.617): 63 (88% of variants over the past 10 days)
  • Gamma (P.1): 0

Cases/100K by region:
  • 46 cases in Windsor-Essex: 11.8 per 100K
  • 52 cases in Hamilton: 9.0 per 100K
  • 83 cases in Peel: 6.0 per 100K
  • 66 cases in York: 5.9 per 100K
  • 20 cases in Middlesex-London: 4.9 per 100K
  • 128 cases in Toronto: 4.4 per 100K
  • 4 cases in Chatham-Kent: 3.8 per 100K
  • 18 cases in Simcoe-Muskoka: 3.3 per 100K
  • 17 cases in Durham: 2.6 per 100K
  • 5 cases in Southwestern Ontario: 2.5 per 100K
  • 4 cases in Grey Bruce: 2.5 per 100K
  • 11 cases in Niagara: 2.5 per 100K
  • 3 cases in Lambton: 2.3 per 100K
  • 14 cases in Waterloo: 2.3 per 100K (based on provincial reporting)
  • 2 cases in Huron Perth: 2.0 per 100K
  • 20 cases in Ottawa: 2.0 per 100K
  • 5 cases in Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph: 1.8 per 100K
  • 10 cases in Halton: 1.8 per 100K
  • 4 cases in Sudbury: 1.0 per 100K
  • 2 cases in Kingston Frontenac: 1.0 per 100K
Current 7-day Covid-19 cases per 100k

• Windsor-Essex County Health Unit 48.7
• City of Hamilton Public Health Services 48.3

• Brant County Health Unit 29.0
• York Region Public Health 26.2

• Toronto Public Health 24.4
• Region of Waterloo Public Health and Emergency Services 23.8
• Peel Public Health 23.0
• Chatham-Kent Public Health 22.6
• Grey Bruce Health Unit 22.4
• Halton Region Public Health 22.0

---snip---

• Timiskaming Health Unit 0.0
• Renfrew County and District Health Unit 0.0

• TOTAL ONTARIO 20.7

(08-16-2021, 11:01 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 10:07 AM)jeffster Wrote: I think O’Toole’s suggestion is good — who wants to have daily testing? Likely not many, so they’ll opt for a vaccine without being forced.

Yes, it would be a strong incentive. But the government would still need to set up the infrastructure (and people!) for doing the testing and checking the test results at every work location. Considering the number of remote work locations for federal employees, is that even feasible to do?

It's nothing more than virtual signalling from Trudeau. This is what they said:

Quote:To plan our path forward, OCHRO will work with you to determine how this vaccination requirement will be implemented within the public service. We recognize that some people are unable to be vaccinated. In these cases, we will discuss accommodations that could be put in place. For those who refuse vaccination, we will need to consider alternative measures, such as testing and screening. Our overall objective will be to protect broader public health by reducing the risk of COVID-19.

So it's only mandatory unless someone refuses. How is that helpful?

That's why I think O'Toole's "idea" is more honest with the public (although he's just parroting what is hidden in Trudeau framework), but the media mostly won't pick up on this. Why are they giving Trudeau a free pass?

See below, 2nd paragraph that I am quoting.

https://www.canada.ca/en/government/publ...rvice.html
(08-16-2021, 06:21 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 11:01 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Yes, it would be a strong incentive. But the government would still need to set up the infrastructure (and people!) for doing the testing and checking the test results at every work location. Considering the number of remote work locations for federal employees, is that even feasible to do?

It's nothing more than virtual signalling from Trudeau. This is what they said:

Quote:To plan our path forward, OCHRO will work with you to determine how this vaccination requirement will be implemented within the public service. We recognize that some people are unable to be vaccinated. In these cases, we will discuss accommodations that could be put in place.  For those who refuse vaccination, we will need to consider alternative measures, such as testing and screening. Our overall objective will be to protect broader public health by reducing the risk of COVID-19.

So it's only mandatory unless someone refuses. How is that helpful?

That's why I think O'Toole's "idea" is more honest with the public (although he's just parroting what is hidden in Trudeau framework), but the media mostly won't pick up on this. Why are they giving Trudeau a free pass?

See below, 2nd paragraph that I am quoting.

https://www.canada.ca/en/government/publ...rvice.html

I get a 404. Anybody else? Has the page actually disappeared? The plot thickens…

Yes, this is crazy. It’s dishonest to say it’s a mandate and then say we need to figure out how to accommodate the crybabies who can’t take a needle.

Also this kind of invalidates what I said before, that O’Toole was just waiting to see what Trudeau said so he could say the opposite: he’s really saying the same thing but with an honest headline.
(08-16-2021, 09:58 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 06:21 PM)jeffster Wrote: https://www.canada.ca/en/government/publ...rvice.html

I get a 404. Anybody else? Has the page actually disappeared? The plot thickens…

Yes, this is crazy. It’s dishonest to say it’s a mandate and then say we need to figure out how to accommodate the crybabies who can’t take a needle.

Apparently it's been taken down as it was "inaccurate". We need to wait to see the revised version.
https://twitter.com/AbigailBimman/status...1666831361
Mandatory vaccinations or daily testing has been approved for all healthcare and education workers: https://www.cp24.com/news/ford-governmen...-1.5549934

This should hopefully help get a few hesitant people to finally get vaccinated, because having a swab jammed up your nose each day is both uncomfortable and a waste of time.
NZ back on (likely a short) lockdown today due to a single case of community transmission. Their vaccination rates are still quite low.
So, active cases have tripled in the last month, from 1,300 or so to about 4,000. Now, there have been statements that they are no longer so much worried about case counts as the cases are no longer as serious.

But, hospitalizations (which lag the cases as an indicator) are going back up as well: the hospital bed count has jumped up from about 100 to 163 today, and the ICU beds are up from 77 two weeks ago to 98 today. A lower hospitalization/new case ratio, sure, but it's still a substantial impact.

TUESDAY 2021-08-16

Waterloo Region reported nine new cases for today (6.3% of the active cases) and zero additional for yesterday for 18; 121 new cases for the week (-8 from yesterday and -15 from last week), averaging 11.9% of active cases. 142 active cases, -6 in the last seven days.

An average of 1,026 tests/day for the past seven days for a positivity rate of 1.69%, down from 2.51% a week ago.

1,544 doses of vaccine administered yesterday, with a seven-day average at 1,906 (previous week was 2,345). 69.23% of total regional population vaccinated (+0.07% from yesterday, +0.41% from 7 days ago), 62.49% fully vaccinated (+0.21% from yesterday, +1.82% from 7 days ago).

Ontario reported 348 new cases today with a seven-day average of 473 (+4), compared to 306 a week ago. 280 recoveries and four (current) deaths translated to an increase of 58 active cases and a new total of 3,930. +1,436 active cases for the week and 11 deaths (two per day). 17,408 tests with a positivity rate of 2.00%. The positivity rate is averaging 2.31% for the past seven days, compared to 1.69% for the preceding seven. 98 patients in ICU (+6 today, +19 for the week) with COVID-19.

40,626 doses of vaccine administered, with a seven-day average at 43,438 (previous week was 48,278). 72.32% of total provincial population vaccinated (+0.07% from yesterday, +0.49% from 7 days ago), 65.30% fully vaccinated (+0.19% from yesterday, +1.57% from 7 days ago).

New case variants reported today (these are substantially delayed so they do not match the new case numbers):
  • Alpha (B.1.1.7): 2
  • Beta (B.1.351): 0
  • Delta (B.1.617): 294 (91% of variants over the past 10 days)
  • Gamma (P.1): 5
Maybe I can stop reporting variants for now? It seems that Delta has grabbed 90% of the new cases.

Cases/100K by region:
  • 34 cases in Hamilton: 5.9 per 100K
  • 21 cases in Windsor-Essex: 5.4 per 100K
  • 21 cases in Halton: 3.8 per 100K
  • 45 cases in Peel: 3.3 per 100K
  • 14 cases in Niagara: 3.1 per 100K
  • 19 cases in Durham: 2.9 per 100K
  • 4 cases in Brant: 2.9 per 100K
  • 85 cases in Toronto: 2.9 per 100K
  • 32 cases in York: 2.9 per 100K
  • 3 cases in Chatham-Kent: 2.8 per 100K
  • 14 cases in Simcoe-Muskoka: 2.6 per 100K
  • 4 cases in Grey Bruce: 2.5 per 100K
  • 10 cases in Waterloo: 1.6 per 100K (based on provincial reporting)
  • 5 cases in Middlesex-London: 1.2 per 100K
  • 12 cases in Ottawa: 1.2 per 100K
  • 2 cases in Leeds, Grenville & Lanark: 1.2 per 100K
  • 2 cases in Southwestern Ontario: 1.0 per 100K
(08-17-2021, 10:04 AM)tomh009 Wrote: NZ back on (likely a short) lockdown today due to a single case of community transmission. Their vaccination rates are still quite low.

Hi from your NZ correspondent! Currently announced as at least 7 days for Auckland (+the Coromandel, maybe sort of equivalent to the Kawarthas?) and 3 days for the rest of NZ, while the government figures out the scope of the outbreak. Wastewater testing from a few days ago returned negative, so it's pretty new. Four new cases this morning including a breakthrough case in a nurse. Sequencers going all out. Was just short of 6 months without an outbreak.

It was announced last week that any Delta outbreak would trigger level 4, ie no takeout. They presumed it was Delta and it indeed was (100% of cases at the border have been Delta).

Not enough vaccines delivered yet but they're coming. My spouse got hers two days ago due to job. General availability for bookings for me was supposed to open today.

By the way the Ontario Delta numbers are probably no longer useful to report.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »