Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
(10-12-2021, 01:41 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: It seems pretty clear that public health is not interested in wide-spread testing, given that we're now 18 months into this pandemic and they still haven't figured out how to run a test site efficiently.

Public health doesn't run the testing sites, the DTK one is Grand River Hospital. I hear some of the other ones are better run, especially the one in north Waterloo (which I think is run by St Mary's).

Not that that excuses the poor service, but let's blame the right organization.

MONDAY 2021-10-11 (delayed due to Thanksgiving holiday

Waterloo Region reported 10 new cases for today (7.4% of the active cases) and none more for yesterday for 13; 119 new cases for the week (-3 from yesterday and -2 from last week), averaging 12.2% of active cases. 129 active cases, -50 in the last seven days.

No daily vaccination numbers being reported by the region any more. 77.38% of total regional population vaccinated (+0.40% from 7 days ago), 73.53% fully vaccinated (+0.81% from 7 days ago).

Ontario reported 458 new cases today with a seven-day average of 530 (-8), compared to 582 a week ago. -635 active cases and 36 deaths for the week. 20,785 tests with a positivity rate of 2.20%. The positivity rate is averaging 1.73% for the past seven days, compared to 1.88% for the preceding seven.

125 people in the ICU, -1 from yesterday and -8 over the past week.

Seven-day vaccination average is at 27,680 doses/day (previous week was 31,126). 77.10% of total provincial population vaccinated (+0.49% from 7 days ago), 72.92% fully vaccinated (+0.83% from 7 days ago).

Cases/100K by regional health unit:
  • 11 cases in Huron Perth: 11.2 per 100K
  • 22 cases in Eastern Ontario: 10.9 per 100K
  • 11 cases in Chatham-Kent: 10.4 per 100K
  • 18 cases in Southwestern Ontario: 9.0 per 100K
  • 10 cases in Brant: 7.4 per 100K
  • 71 cases in Peel: 5.1 per 100K
  • 21 cases in Niagara: 4.7 per 100K
  • 26 cases in Hamilton: 4.5 per 100K
  • 14 cases in Windsor-Essex: 3.6 per 100K
  • 36 cases in York: 3.2 per 100K
  • 92 cases in Toronto: 3.1 per 100K
  • 30 cases in Ottawa: 3.0 per 100K
  • 18 cases in Durham: 2.8 per 100K
  • 3 cases in Lambton: 2.3 per 100K
  • 6 cases in Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph: 2.2 per 100K
  • 12 cases in Halton: 2.2 per 100K
  • 4 cases in Kingston Frontenac: 2.0 per 100K
  • 3 cases in Grey Bruce: 1.9 per 100K
  • 10 cases in Simcoe-Muskoka: 1.9 per 100K
  • 7 cases in Middlesex-London: 1.7 per 100K
  • 6 cases in Sudbury: 1.5 per 100K
  • 9 cases in Waterloo: 1.5 per 100K (based on provincial reporting)
TUESDAY 2021-10-12

Waterloo Region reported 10 new cases for today (7.8% of the active cases) and none more for yesterday for 10; 116 new cases for the week (-3 from yesterday and +0 from last week), averaging 12.2% of active cases. 122 active cases, -9 in the last seven days.

77.41% of total regional population vaccinated (+0.37% from 7 days ago), 73.63% fully vaccinated (+0.79% from 7 days ago).

Ontario reported 390 new cases today with a seven-day average of 525 (-5), compared to 576 a week ago. -365 active cases and 32 deaths for the week. 18,280 tests with a positivity rate of 2.13%. The positivity rate is averaging 1.80% for the past seven days, compared to 1.85% for the preceding seven.

121 people in the ICU, -4 from yesterday and -10 over the past week.

Seven-day vaccination average is at 24,685 doses/day (previous week was 30,357). 77.12% of total provincial population vaccinated (+0.43% from 7 days ago), 72.95% fully vaccinated (+0.74% from 7 days ago).

• 8 cases in Chatham-Kent: 7.5 per 100K
  • 13 cases in Southwestern Ontario: 6.5 per 100K
  • 65 cases in York: 5.9 per 100K
  • 21 cases in Windsor-Essex: 5.4 per 100K
  • 7 cases in Lambton: 5.3 per 100K
  • 62 cases in Peel: 4.5 per 100K
  • 9 cases in Kingston Frontenac: 4.4 per 100K
  • 10 cases in Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph: 3.7 per 100K
  • 21 cases in Hamilton: 3.6 per 100K
  • 6 cases in Eastern Ontario: 3.0 per 100K
  • 13 cases in Niagara: 2.9 per 100K
  • 11 cases in Halton: 2.0 per 100K
  • 18 cases in Ottawa: 1.8 per 100K
  • 7 cases in Sudbury: 1.8 per 100K
  • 10 cases in Waterloo: 1.6 per 100K (based on provincial reporting)
  • 6 cases in Middlesex-London: 1.5 per 100K
  • 8 cases in Simcoe-Muskoka: 1.5 per 100K
  • 9 cases in Durham: 1.4 per 100K
  • 2 cases in Grey Bruce: 1.2 per 100K
I was operating under the assumption that there was 30% more COVID in Quebec than Ontario per capita, but it looks like Ontario's numbers have recently dropped faster than Quebec's so that now there is 100% more COVID in Quebec than Ontario. Weird. And yet, despite what we've been saying here about testing being not great, the positivity rates are still low. What's up with that?
(10-12-2021, 05:06 PM)plam Wrote: I was operating under the assumption that there was 30% more COVID in Quebec than Ontario per capita, but it looks like Ontario's numbers have recently dropped faster than Quebec's so that now there is 100% more COVID in Quebec than Ontario. Weird. And yet, despite what we've been saying here about testing being not great, the positivity rates are still low. What's up with that?

For the largest province in the nation, with the largest cities, Ontario has done pretty well, up until now at least. Mistakes have been made, but adjustments have been done as well, as it should happen.

It does help that premiers and PM's (and most leaders, except the PPC) have been 100% behind the vaccination program. But yes, Ontario has done better than expected, the numbers show that.
(10-11-2021, 02:00 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Now, leaving aside whether waiting in a climate controlled car with a radio is the same as waiting on a tiny chair next to an HVAC unit, I need some understanding of time and progress. When you're waiting in a car, you can see where you are in line, and how fast the line is moving. (I do understand that waiting an indefinite period of time in a waiting room is a hallmark of our healthcare system--usually there's a magazine at least).

I would say your situation was an anomaly. At Catalyst, I saw walk-ins come and go while I was stuck in line (I was only there once).

As for the above comment, if it makes you feel better, your car must be shut off except when moving between tents. I had no radio and no a/c on the hottest day of the year.

Coke
(10-12-2021, 09:06 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(10-12-2021, 05:06 PM)plam Wrote: I was operating under the assumption that there was 30% more COVID in Quebec than Ontario per capita, but it looks like Ontario's numbers have recently dropped faster than Quebec's so that now there is 100% more COVID in Quebec than Ontario. Weird. And yet, despite what we've been saying here about testing being not great, the positivity rates are still low. What's up with that?

For the largest province in the nation, with the largest cities, Ontario has done pretty well, up until now at least. Mistakes have been made, but adjustments have been done as well, as it should happen.

It does help that premiers and PM's (and most leaders, except the PPC) have been 100% behind the vaccination program. But yes, Ontario has done better than expected, the numbers show that.

The rise in new cases in Ontario stabilized at the end of August and then started slowly dropping; we have since gone from a 7-day average of about 650 to about 500, and still going down.

Now, the impressive thing is that basically the provincial government is stepping aside and essentially doing nothing, letting the regional health units focus on getting the vaccines into arms and to react to any local issues. And the people of Ontario have, by and large, behaved like model Canadians, practising social distancing, avoiding crowds and wearing masks. Add solid vaccine coverage (77% or so) and the vaccine mandates to this kind of considerate, defensive behaviour, and you can indeed beat back COVID -- and Delta -- even without new lockdowns or any political grandstanding.

WEDNESDAY 2021-10-13

Waterloo Region reported 10 new cases for today (8.3% of the active cases) and one fewer for yesterday for nine; 99 new cases for the week (-15 from yesterday and -27 from last week), averaging 10.4% of active cases. 120 active cases, -21 in the last seven days.

77.47% of total regional population vaccinated (+0.35% from 7 days ago), 73.73% fully vaccinated (+0.79% from 7 days ago).

Ontario reported 306 new cases today with a seven-day average of 500 (-25), compared to 574 a week ago. -443 active cases and 34 deaths for the week. 23,219 tests with a positivity rate of 1.32%. The positivity rate is averaging 1.81% for the past seven days, compared to 1.82% for the preceding seven.

124 people in the ICU, +3 from yesterday and -7 over the past week. Overall hospital population is at 242, -35 over the past week and -73 over the past two weeks.

Seven-day vaccination average is at 24,337 doses/day (previous week was 29,500). 77.19% of total provincial population vaccinated (+0.43% from 7 days ago), 73.08% fully vaccinated (+0.73% from 7 days ago).

• 32 cases in Windsor-Essex: 8.2 per 100K
  • 11 cases in Southwestern Ontario: 5.5 per 100K
  • 7 cases in Brant: 5.1 per 100K
  • 5 cases in Huron Perth: 5.1 per 100K
  • 10 cases in Kingston Frontenac: 4.9 per 100K
  • 5 cases in Chatham-Kent: 4.7 per 100K
  • 9 cases in Eastern Ontario: 4.4 per 100K
  • 12 cases in Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph: 4.4 per 100K
  • 17 cases in Niagara: 3.8 per 100K
  • 13 cases in Middlesex-London: 3.2 per 100K
  • 29 cases in York: 2.6 per 100K
  • 68 cases in Toronto: 2.3 per 100K
  • 12 cases in Hamilton: 2.1 per 100K
  • 11 cases in Simcoe-Muskoka: 2.0 per 100K
  • 20 cases in Ottawa: 2.0 per 100K
  • 18 cases in Peel: 1.3 per 100K
  • 7 cases in Halton: 1.3 per 100K
  • 2 cases in Leeds, Grenville & Lanark: 1.2 per 100K
  • 6 cases in Durham: 0.9 per 100K
  • 3 cases in Sudbury: 0.8 per 100K
  • 3 cases in Waterloo: 0.5 per 100K (based on provincial reporting)
(10-13-2021, 01:55 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(10-11-2021, 02:00 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Now, leaving aside whether waiting in a climate controlled car with a radio is the same as waiting on a tiny chair next to an HVAC unit, I need some understanding of time and progress. When you're waiting in a car, you can see where you are in line, and how fast the line is moving. (I do understand that waiting an indefinite period of time in a waiting room is a hallmark of our healthcare system--usually there's a magazine at least).

I would say your situation was an anomaly.  At Catalyst, I saw walk-ins come and go while I was stuck in line (I was only there once).

As for the above comment, if it makes you feel better, your car must be shut off except when moving between tents.  I had no radio and no a/c on the hottest day of the year.

Coke

I've been able to use the radio in every car that was shut off, is there a reason you can't? I've never heard of that before. FWIW, at least at Charles St. cars were shut off *IN* the tents but idling outside the tents (which is most of the time).

Hopefully it was an anomaly. And honestly, I don't even necessarily object to waiting, but the process must be much better. (And really, given we are doing appointments, we shouldn't need to be waiting that long).
(10-13-2021, 05:03 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I've been able to use the radio in every car that was shut off, is there a reason you can't? I've never heard of that before.

Hopefully it was an anomaly. And honestly, I don't even necessarily object to waiting, but the process must be much better. (And really, given we are doing appointments, we shouldn't need to be waiting that long).

Some older model cars you need to keep car in accessory to use the radio -- and it can be a battery drag. So while there is always a way, it's not always the smart thing to do, especially if you're going to be doing it for a long time.

As for you situation, likely an anomaly. Similar things have happened to me, nothing to do with medical, but similar situation. And yes, people literally forget about you, and it's frustrating as hell, especially when you see late arrivals get service before you.
Current 7-day Covid-19 cases per 100k

• Chatham-Kent Public Health 60.2
• Eastern Ontario Health Unit 53.2
• Windsor-Essex County Health Unit 52.5
• Lambton Public Health 49.6
• Southwestern Public Health 43.5

• Huron Perth Public Health 32.2
• Niagara Region Public Health 31.3
• City of Hamilton Public Health Services 30.9
• Timiskaming Health Unit 30.6
• Public Health Sudbury & Districts 29.1

• Region of Waterloo Public Health and Emergency Services 17.3

• North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit 14.6
• Grey Bruce Health Unit 13.0
• Peterborough Public Health 12.2
• Renfrew County and District Health Unit 12.0
• Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit 10.6

• Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit 8.7
• Algoma Public Health 3.5
• Northwestern Health Unit 2.3
• Thunder Bay District Health Unit 0.7

• Porcupine Health Unit 0.0

• TOTAL ONTARIO 23.6
(10-13-2021, 06:14 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(10-13-2021, 05:03 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I've been able to use the radio in every car that was shut off, is there a reason you can't? I've never heard of that before.

Some older model cars you need to keep car in accessory to use the radio -- and it can be a battery drag. So while there is always a way, it's not always the smart thing to do, especially if you're going to be doing it for a long time.

As for you situation, likely an anomaly. Similar things have happened to me, nothing to do with medical, but similar situation. And yes, people literally forget about you, and it's frustrating as hell, especially when you see late arrivals get service before you.

@Dan, yes, technically I could have used the acc switch to keep the radio going, but then I'd be draining the battery, and my hybrid wouldn't run on battery between tents.  

Coke
(10-14-2021, 08:56 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(10-13-2021, 06:14 PM)jeffster Wrote: Some older model cars you need to keep car in accessory to use the radio -- and it can be a battery drag. So while there is always a way, it's not always the smart thing to do, especially if you're going to be doing it for a long time.

@Dan, yes, technically I could have used the acc switch to keep the radio going, but then I'd be draining the battery, and my hybrid wouldn't run on battery between tents.  

Coke

I have a friend with a Tesla - he kept the radio on for too long the one time, and couldn’t get the car started, and needed a boost. This is a car without an engine or starter, but it does run everything else on the 12v battery, which needs to provide sufficient power to run the car.

Car that are from the late 80’s and back, didn’t have the same ‘battery run-down protection’ and you could start the car even if the battery was almost dead. Now you just get ‘clicks’.

(10-14-2021, 10:27 AM)jeffster Wrote: I have a friend with a Tesla - he kept the radio on for too long the one time, and couldn’t get the car started, and needed a boost. This is a car without an engine or starter, but it does run everything else on the 12v battery, which needs to provide sufficient power to run the car.

I think your friend had a defective 12V battery, or it was a really really early one before they added the 12V rundown protection. These days they charge the 12V from the high voltage pack as needed, so you can run the radio as much as you want. It's actually one of the features I really love about mine, worry free idling. Keeping the heat/AC going, not just the radio, while parked without any concerns. Some people even camp in their Teslas, as you can run the heat/AC all night.
(10-14-2021, 11:29 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(10-14-2021, 10:27 AM)jeffster Wrote: I have a friend with a Tesla - he kept the radio on for too long the one time, and couldn’t get the car started, and needed a boost. This is a car without an engine or starter, but it does run everything else on the 12v battery, which needs to provide sufficient power to run the car.

I think your friend had a defective 12V battery, or it was a really really early one before they added the 12V rundown protection. These days they charge the 12V from the high voltage pack as needed, so you can run the radio as much as you want. It's actually one of the features I really love about mine, worry free idling. Keeping the heat/AC going, not just the radio, while parked without any concerns. Some people even camp in their Teslas, as you can run the heat/AC all night.

It's a 2017 or 2018. Not sure if that's considered 'older', but maybe it is. Nice car, but he did take me out to show me the speed, 0-100 kph was insane. That said, I found the car sounded 'cheap', for example, when you shut the door. Just a lot of creaks and groans not expected from a newer car.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »