Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Restaurant casualties of COVID-19
Maybe a little of column A and a little of column B

(08-21-2020, 03:28 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 03:12 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The prices really need to go up if restaurants are to be viable again ...

Or do rents need to come down?

I have no idea what the economics look like...

Rents go down? Wholesale prices go down? Wages go down? Yes, all of these would help the economics. But the prices are the only thing that the restaurants are in control of. And even in the best of times most restaurants are low-margin businesses.

I propose that all the area restaurants apply a "COVID survival fee" of, say, 5% or 10%, to their final bills. It's not going to reduce business significantly and it can help the restaurants survive.
(08-21-2020, 08:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 03:28 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Or do rents need to come down?

Rents go down? Wholesale prices go down? Wages go down? Yes, all of these would help the economics. But the prices are the only thing that the restaurants are in control of. And even in the best of times most restaurants are low-margin businesses.

I propose that all the area restaurants apply a "COVID survival fee" of, say, 5% or 10%, to their final bills. It's not going to reduce business significantly and it can help the restaurants survive.

I don't really want that...I'd rather them just raise their prices by 10%.

But I don't even know if that would help, it would only matter if they are limited by space, most of the restaurants I see are not limited by space...if they are limited by customers, raising prices will drive away some of those customers.

Costs have to come down...or rather, economics must change, increasing inequality means there just isn't as much money in the hands of people who will spend it anymore.
(08-21-2020, 08:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 03:28 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Or do rents need to come down?

I’ve been a bit surprised that we haven’t been seeing more covid-related surcharges.  So far, I’ve only seen it at my dentist ($18) and hair stylist ($5).  Perhaps competition makes this more difficult for restaurants.  I don’t feel they’ve been able to raise their prices enough to cover their covid-related expenses.
(08-21-2020, 03:28 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 03:12 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The prices really need to go up if restaurants are to be viable again ...

Or do rents need to come down?

I know a couple restaurant owners and both own their property. Mortgages don't change.

In the one case, the owners won't have a problem, because they have been smart with their money. The other owner, they're holding it right now.

No easy answers. We'll probably see a lot of failures. But some places are actually doing OK. If it means anything to people, they'll support the restaurants. To be honest though, some places simply don't deserve to survive, with their substandard food, and service.
(08-21-2020, 09:09 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 08:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Rents go down? Wholesale prices go down? Wages go down? Yes, all of these would help the economics. But the prices are the only thing that the restaurants are in control of. And even in the best of times most restaurants are low-margin businesses.

But I don't even know if that would help, it would only matter if they are limited by space, most of the restaurants I see are not limited by space...if they are limited by customers, raising prices will drive away some of those customers.

Costs have to come down...or rather, economics must change, increasing inequality means there just isn't as much money in the hands of people who will spend it anymore.

Many restaurants claim that they are now limited by space, because they can no longer seat enough people. On the other hand, fewer people may be wanting to eat out: whether this is because of COVID risks or income loss is arguable (I personally think it's more of the former).

But how to reduce rent costs? Rent control really doesn't work. And why should restaurants (and bars?) pay less rent than other businesses? And a government rent subsidy doesn't make sense.

If it's OK to charge $2000+/month for an apartment, or $400K+ for a condo, then commercial rents will follow. Nice places in nice locations will be expensive, and I don't see why that shouldn't be reflected in the prices.
Housing costs discussion moved to here:
https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?tid=1493

Patent Social is closing, last day of operations is September 26.
Quick Sandwiches Downtown Kitchener has closed as of September 21st
My Thai in uptown Waterloo has closed permanently.

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...ly-2756607
(10-01-2020, 02:53 PM)Wingers19 Wrote: My Thai in uptown Waterloo has closed permanently. 

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...ly-2756607

That's disappointing.  I liked it there.
Little Louie's in Cambridge closed in April. Looks like the timing worked for the owners though.

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/following...er-2692931
Abe Erb is shutting down: https://www.facebook.com/abeerbbrewpub/p...8124621742

This one hits closer to home for me. Definitely disappointing to see. I can only hope that when things return to normal that we'll see things pop back up and replace what we've been losing.

(10-13-2020, 08:37 AM)jamincan Wrote: Abe Erb is shutting down: https://www.facebook.com/abeerbbrewpub/p...8124621742

This one hits closer to home for me. Definitely disappointing to see. I can only hope that when things return to normal that we'll see things pop back up and replace what we've been losing.

Oof, I agree this one hurts. It may never have been amazing, but I've had some really enjoyable meals and drinks at both the uptown and downtown locations over the years. I will miss them.
(10-13-2020, 08:37 AM)jamincan Wrote: Abe Erb is shutting down: https://www.facebook.com/abeerbbrewpub/p...8124621742

Judging by a lot of the comments on social media, many from former employees, they treated their employees rather shittily.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »