Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
TEK Tower (30 Francis) | 45 fl | U/C
This is the small parking lot beside Uhaul/Ziggys. Not a ton of details available on this one yet, but from the website of Harlo Capital (https://www.harlocapital.com/projects/ , also behind DTK Condos and The Scott):

Quote:Harlo Capital acquired a 24,983 SF parcel to develop a high-rise condominium project in downtown Kitchener, ON with a partner. The property is located 500 meters from the region’s planned transit hub where GO transit regional train and bus services, via rail, LRT, and other ground-oriented transit will converge. The 40 storey, 515 unit, 441,618 SF building will be a short walk to Google Headquarters, the Tannery tech incubator, downtown amenities, and Victoria Park.

I also found https://myinvestmentbrokers.com/projects/30-francis/ which says the project is called 30 Francis, and occupancy 2023. I'm guessing this has been delayed by Covid, so I wouldn't count on any of the details.

Would 40 stories make it the tallest in the region?
How old is this link? It makes mention: “Kitchener will have a stop on the newly announced $11 Billion dollar High Speed Train System..” and then links to an old, and albeit archived, Wynne-era document on the project. Which I’m pretty sure Ford shelved?
(01-31-2021, 07:05 PM)gomesjustin Wrote: How old is this link? It makes mention: “Kitchener will have a stop on the newly announced $11 Billion dollar High Speed Train System..” and then links to an old, and albeit archived, Wynne-era document on the project. Which I’m pretty sure Ford shelved?

I think that's just a reflection of sketchy property investment websites not being on top of transit infrastructure plans, rather than the site being old. It also says "Anticipated To Start From The $300s" which is a pricepoint that wouldn't make sense unless it was pretty recent (even in 2017/2018 Charlie West started in the low $200s).

I found the project from https://www.harlocapital.com/projects/ (which I forgot to link above), and based on checking the Wayback Machine it was added in the past 3 months.
(01-31-2021, 07:12 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 07:05 PM)gomesjustin Wrote: How old is this link? It makes mention: “Kitchener will have a stop on the newly announced $11 Billion dollar High Speed Train System..” and then links to an old, and albeit archived, Wynne-era document on the project. Which I’m pretty sure Ford shelved?

I think that's just a reflection of sketchy property investment websites not being on top of transit infrastructure plans, rather than the site being old. It also says "Anticipated To Start From The $300s" which is a pricepoint that wouldn't make sense unless it was pretty recent (even in 2017/2018 Charlie West started in the low $200s).

I found the project from https://www.harlocapital.com/projects/ (which I forgot to link above), and based on checking the Wayback Machine it was added in the past 3 months.

The meta tags from OPs link also show 2020-12-04 as the published and last modified date.

As for the bold part, I'd bet you have the sketchy part right, but not the reasoning. This seems like the kind of thing they would be well aware of, but have enough plausible deniability to lie about since it's not formally cancelled, in order to garner investments.
(01-31-2021, 06:12 PM)jamincan Wrote: Would 40 stories make it the tallest in the region?

If it wasn't, it would be a close second, behind DTK.

Same developer, it appears.
Random thing lol. The Google satellite image on Harlo's website has One Victoria missing, for a second I couldn't orient myself. Then I assumed it was just an old image, but when you look close One Vic's shadow is there and also the excavation for 345 King St is there, which both match the current image on google. Weird. Any chance they'd edit it out for marketing purposes?

40fl is tall but probably makes sense in this area. I hope this goes through, but ideally with a different developer cuz dtk is a yikes
Interesting potential development. Feels like proposals in DT have slowed down this past year, lot under construction though! Probably due to the pandemic and development charge exempt zone being lifted. I hope this is still in the works. I would be fine with a similar building as their project on queen st. east in toronto. DTK is a disaster, but I would blame that more on the architect than the developer. Hopefully they are working with a reputable architecture firm in toronto for this one.
(01-31-2021, 11:13 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 06:12 PM)jamincan Wrote: Would 40 stories make it the tallest in the region?

If it wasn't, it would be a close second, behind DTK.

Isn't DTK 39 Storeys?
(02-01-2021, 04:05 PM)stevefromyellowstone2 Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 11:13 PM)jeffster Wrote: If it wasn't, it would be a close second, behind DTK.

Isn't DTK 39 Storeys?

Yes, it is.
A couple weeks/months ago I dropped some hints about taller towers (40+ floors) coming to this side of downtown, with developers having their eyes on a lot of the vacant lots/underused parking lots in the area. Well, the cat is out of the bag at last. :>

Keep an eye on this area as a whole because you're going to see a lot of transformation happening over the next couple years. This is nothin'.
(02-01-2021, 04:31 PM)ac3r Wrote: A couple weeks/months ago I dropped some hints about taller towers (40+ floors) coming to this side of downtown, with developers having their eyes on a lot of the vacant lots/underused parking lots in the area. Well, the cat is out of the bag at last. :>

Keep an eye on this area as a whole because you're going to see a lot of transformation happening over the next couple years. This is nothinI 
I like the sounds of this comment. I was wondering if this was the project you had hinted about early last year. This area of downtown has great potential. Lots of surface parking lots along the LRT route. Hopefully we can see some quality proposals infill this part of downtown. I won't mind a couple tallest in the region either Smile

Hard to believe that 1 year ago we had zero buildings in Kitchener with more than 19 floors, now we have 2 with more than 30 floors, and this one will be 3.
Am I remembering this property wrong, or is it really small? Like it feels like too small for this.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »