Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 6 fl | U/C
(09-21-2020, 07:55 PM)tomh009 Wrote: And, in any case, the single most important goal was to actually get the LRT approved!

Totally.

(09-21-2020, 09:57 PM)panamaniac Wrote: As I recall it, to the extent it was successful, it was because King was still a significant retail destination and the merchants were able to put their merchandise out in the street.  It would be a very different environment today - perhaps a food/entertainment district? That might work in the May-October period, but I’m not sure what it would be in winter.  Personally, I’d keep King open to traffic, for now at least, while pedestrianizing side streets.

There are a bunch of examples of pedestrianizations not working, and definitely year-round ones. Quebec City has another one. Montreal has summer pedestrianization of Ste-Catherine in the Village which seems to work. I don't have an overall theory of when pedestrianization works and when it doesn't.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 4 fl | U/C - by plam - 09-21-2020, 10:51 PM
Re: City Centre Condominiums - by rangersfan - 08-25-2014, 09:52 PM
[No subject] - by rangersfan - 08-25-2014, 10:53 PM