Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 6 fl | U/C
I'm hesitant about all out closing King Street because there are many examples of closing a struggling downtown retail street in order to revitalize it and it having the opposite effect. The example I know of is Spark Street in Ottawa, which is largely only successful as a tourist destination and an utter failure as a destination for Ottawans. The Byward Market, on the otherhand, always felt way more vital as a destination despite not being completely closed off to cars. (Take these impressions with a grain of salt, because they're almost 20 years out of date now.)

That said, there are some great opportunities and I think pedestrianization is a possibility in principle, as King Street is not an important thoroughfare for cars. I'd say as a first step, Gaukel Street should be closed. The case has already been made and the benefits are obvious. As a part of that, I'd suggest closing King Street between College and Young to cars, or have it setup where cars and pedestrians are mixed (once pedestrian traffic reaches a certain threshold). This then gives an opportunity for any revitalization that does occur to have a focus, and then as that becomes more successful, it can expand outward. This would hopefully limit business opposition and lead to an approach where businesses actually want the pedestrianization to be extended.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 4 fl | U/C - by jamincan - 09-22-2020, 07:40 AM
Re: City Centre Condominiums - by rangersfan - 08-25-2014, 09:52 PM
[No subject] - by rangersfan - 08-25-2014, 10:53 PM