Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
55 Franklin St S | 4x 6 fl | Proposed
Something is brewing at the old Dare Foods warehouse at 55 Franklin St S. Google Maps. Title search shows it went from Dare to Cheng's Group Corp. in 2018. Then, it went in 2020 for 3.6 million to 55 Franklin GP inc.

Record of site condition was submitted January 13th. It lists current use as "Industrial" but intended use as "Residential".

Looks like Maxwell Building Consultants is attached, and seems like the directors of the company are the new owners of 55 Franklin GP. I found this (unfortunately small) image:

[Image: 55-franklin.webp]

Maxwell  says the proposal is to split the parcel into 4 developments, each able to contain a 60-unit 6 storey mixed-use building. Potential missing middle housing?

I expect it to change hands a few times yet before anything serious happens, but something to keep an eye on.

This proposal is further along than you might think. The limited information I have on the project is that they plan on starting construction this year, it will be broken up into 4 phases and it will be low income/ community rental housing. Not quite missing middle that has been discussed recently, but still a valuable infill project in the community. 

I believe Maxwell building consultants was started by one or two of the people from momentum.
I completely forgot about this. Yes, it's intended to be affordable housing which is what Maxwell focuses on. It's not "middle housing" though, just a low-mid rise development.
(02-19-2021, 05:49 PM)westwardloo Wrote: This proposal is further along than you might think. The limited information I have on the project is that they plan on starting construction this year, it will be broken up into 4 phases and it will be low income/ community rental housing. Not quite missing middle that has been discussed recently, but still a valuable infill project in the community. 

I believe Maxwell building consultants was started by one or two of the people from momentum.

Interesting - are Maxwell the ones developing then?

What's the idea with the splitting up of the parcel then? Is the intent to develop, and then potentially sell off the four individually if needed?

My (unfounded) speculation was that this plan was  just four placeholders to help sell four lots to other developers.
Interesting renders on the ABA Architects site for 55 Franklin Street in Kitchener. Not other details at the moment.
This would fit pretty well with the surroundings and we desperately need housing. Build it!

[Image: 55-Frnklin-v3-03-11-2048x1092.jpg]

[Image: 55-Frnklin-v-01-03-11-2048x1331.jpg]

[Image: 55-Frnklin-v-02-03-11-1-2048x1331.jpg]
Public housing project?
(08-19-2021, 06:51 PM)Lens Wrote: Interesting renders on the ABA Architects site for 55 Franklin Street in Kitchener. Not other details at the moment.
This would fit pretty well with the surroundings and we desperately need housing. Build it!

It was discussed previously at https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...0#pid89160 , but the renders are a good addition. Yes, it's an affordable housing project.

Mods, time for a thread for the renders and previous posts?

Recommendation to receive almost $2m in funding from the region for 30 affordable housing units in this development.

https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/Modules/...75a288f090
A small update on this. An application was submitted to:

Quote:To amend the approved site plan to replace the parking structure with an amenity area.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »