Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
206 Duke St E | 8 fl | Proposed
Knossos Housing Corporation is proposing a mid rise project at 206 Duke Street East with architectural work by JLC Architect Corp.

At 8 floors in height, the building is proposed to contain 100 affordable rental housing units. The units are proposed to be a mixture of 1 and 2 bedrooms of various sizes. The entire building and 33 of the units would have full accessibility compliance. Parking would primarily be underground with a few surface parking spots as well as adequate bicycle parking. 55 parking spots in total are proposed which is far fewer than zoning bylaws require, which would be 110 spaces.

[Image: HYYLX0W.png]

[Image: yEo9OAQ.png]

Not a whole lot to say or get excited about regarding this project, but a fully fledged affordable housing project with 100 units is great to see. The location currently holds a church on an otherwise forgettable city block, so it would be nice to see this get approved. There is already a 6 floor apartment building built in the 20th century, so hopefully there is not a whole lot of NIMBY opposition to this...though I suspect there will be since they tend to always talk about affordable housing but then hate it when it's built near them.
(08-17-2022, 02:25 PM)ac3r Wrote: Not a whole lot to say or get excited about regarding this project, but a fully fledged affordable housing project with 100 units is great to see. The location currently holds a church on an otherwise forgettable city block, so it would be nice to see this get approved. There is already a 6 floor apartment building built in the 20th century, so hopefully there is not a whole lot of NIMBY opposition to this...though I suspect there will be since they tend to always talk about affordable housing but then hate it when it's built near them.

The church has been gone for about a year now IIRC. I'm not sure there will be a whole lot of NIMBY opposition just due to the fact the majority of the homes around here are rentals.

Glad to see some progress happen here.
I take it that Knossos Housing Corp is some sort of non-profit?
(08-17-2022, 04:57 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I take it that Knossos Housing Corp is some sort of non-profit?

It would seem so...related to "Waterloo Region & Hellenic Community". Not sure who they are but possibly a religious organization based on the name? Religious groups have been doing a lot for affordable housing on old church properties in the region so it might make sense. They actually seem like they're doing more for affordable housing, shelters, drug rehabilitation etc. than the actual region/cities...meanwhile the homeless city downtown just keeps growing since nobody wants to dare doing anything about it lest they get cancelled, which is sad to say since I sit on the far, far left hah. I assume their brand of salvation tends to come with a cost that may be unpalatable to a lot of people needing it, though.
(08-17-2022, 09:14 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 04:57 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I take it that Knossos Housing Corp is some sort of non-profit?

It would seem so...related to "Waterloo Region & Hellenic Community". Not sure who they are but possibly a religious organization based on the name? Religious groups have been doing a lot for affordable housing on old church properties in the region so it might make sense. They actually seem like they're doing more for affordable housing, shelters, drug rehabilitation etc. than the actual region/cities...meanwhile the homeless city downtown just keeps growing since nobody wants to dare doing anything about it lest they get cancelled, which is sad to say since I sit on the far, far left hah.

I thought somebody around here reported receiving a negative reaction when simply pointing out that, by definition, a “needle exchange” does not give out needles but rather trades new needles for used needles. This was in the context of discussing how big an issue discarded needles are. There definitely is a non-productive streak within the well-intentioned of ruling out of order many perfectly reasonable discussions.

Quote:I assume their brand of salvation tends to come with a cost that may be unpalatable to a lot of people needing it, though.

I know nothing of this specific group, but many religious groups give freely, without proselytization.

Others, of course, require people to read their literature before handing out whatever they’re supplying. This is the sort of “charity” we can do without.
That is one of ugliest proposed buildings I have ever seen. Affordable housing is always a positive, so I can't complain. This is going to be an EIFS mess, Pink and Yellow? The protruding balconies add to the horrendous design, not sure why they are even including balconies in affordable housing seems like an unnecessary extra cost to the project.   I know we can't compare the region to some of the bigger municipalities, but this is what a social housing proposal looks like in vancouver.  https://shapeyourcity.ca/1766-frances-st?tool=qanda

If I lived in this neighbourhood I would probably oppose strictly because of the design. I used to be pro every development, but I am getting tired of my city being taken over by these designs that look like a first year college student thought them up. This is the side effect of building ugly buildings throughout the region. It provides NIMBY's ammunition for future projects even if the design looks to be well though out. I am actually disappointed in JLC Architect Corp. They designed one of my favorite mid-rises in the region (the cortes on King).

(08-18-2022, 10:03 AM)westwardloo Wrote: If I lived in this neighbourhood I would probably oppose strictly because of the design. I used to be pro every development, but I am getting tired of my city being taken over by these designs that look like a first year college student thought them up. This is the side effect of building ugly buildings throughout the region. It provides NIMBY's ammunition for future projects even if the design looks to be well though out. I am actually disappointed in JLC Architect Corp. They designed one of my favorite mid-rises in the region (the cortes on King).

Y'know, about the Cortes. The accent goes the wrong way. Irks me when I see it. (It should be the Cortès but they have it as the Cortés). My spouse said I should write them a letter.
(08-18-2022, 10:45 AM)plam Wrote:
(08-18-2022, 10:03 AM)westwardloo Wrote: If I lived in this neighbourhood I would probably oppose strictly because of the design. I used to be pro every development, but I am getting tired of my city being taken over by these designs that look like a first year college student thought them up. This is the side effect of building ugly buildings throughout the region. It provides NIMBY's ammunition for future projects even if the design looks to be well though out. I am actually disappointed in JLC Architect Corp. They designed one of my favorite mid-rises in the region (the cortes on King).

Y'know, about the Cortes. The accent goes the wrong way. Irks me when I see it. (It should be the Cortès but they have it as the Cortés). My spouse said I should write them a letter.

How do you know its wrong?

I'm aware of at least one Spanish conquistador who would disagree with you.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hern%C3%A1n_Cort%C3%A9s 

Coke
(08-18-2022, 11:07 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(08-18-2022, 10:45 AM)plam Wrote: Y'know, about the Cortes. The accent goes the wrong way. Irks me when I see it. (It should be the Cortès but they have it as the Cortés). My spouse said I should write them a letter.

I'm aware of at least one Spanish conquistador who would disagree with you.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hern%C3%A1n_Cort%C3%A9s 

Coke

I had the same reaction.
(08-18-2022, 12:37 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(08-18-2022, 11:07 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: How do you know its wrong?

Coke

I had the same reaction.

Huh. In French it is definitely Cortès: https://artist.christies.com/Edouard-Leo...16952.aspx
(08-18-2022, 10:03 AM)westwardloo Wrote: That is one of ugliest proposed buildings I have ever seen. Affordable housing is always a positive, so I can't complain. This is going to be an EIFS mess, Pink and Yellow? The protruding balconies add to the horrendous design, not sure why they are even including balconies in affordable housing seems like an unnecessary extra cost to the project.   I know we can't compare the region to some of the bigger municipalities, but this is what a social housing proposal looks like in vancouver.  https://shapeyourcity.ca/1766-frances-st?tool=qanda

If I lived in this neighbourhood I would probably oppose strictly because of the design. I used to be pro every development, but I am getting tired of my city being taken over by these designs that look like a first year college student thought them up. This is the side effect of building ugly buildings throughout the region. It provides NIMBY's ammunition for future projects even if the design looks to be well though out. I am actually disappointed in JLC Architect Corp. They designed one of my favorite mid-rises in the region (the cortes on King).

Yeah the design is horrible. I had never heard of JLC before so when I looked up their website to link it, their portfolio is primarily local work on stuff like public schools and not very good ones at that.

(08-18-2022, 11:07 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(08-18-2022, 10:45 AM)plam Wrote: Y'know, about the Cortes. The accent goes the wrong way. Irks me when I see it. (It should be the Cortès but they have it as the Cortés). My spouse said I should write them a letter.

Coke

The lead architect at JLC's first name is Jorge (Jorge A. Cortes) which is a common name in Spanish and Portuguese speaking regions of the world. If he's indeed Spanish or Portugese then perhaps the É is intentional.
(08-17-2022, 09:14 PM)ac3r Wrote:

...related to "Waterloo Region & Hellenic Community".

Knossos is a city in Crete, and 'Hellenic' is just a fancy word for Greek. So it's the local Greek diaspora, which may or may not have a religious element.

This is an extremely elitist response.

I live 7 houses down from this. This tucked into a one-way side street, replacing a single story church and some rundown century homes. I will be writing in full support. Between all the density happening at King/Cedar and the Lion's Club on the other side it's not going to be very visible from any angle.

We need diverse, affordable housing. We need people of all economic means and family types to be able to live in the downtown core and make diverse, inclusive neighbourhoods. This is a perfect area for it.

Yes, it might not win any awards – but it's sorely needed housing. If you want to be an elitist about design then write to the city about the for-profit work by IN8, which the city seems to be approving with wild abandon. I'm fine with the height of those buildings, but they are ugly, cheap, overpriced, monoculture investor units you can see as far away as Guelph. That's where the focus on design standards should be.
(08-19-2022, 08:30 AM)Marko Wrote:

This is an extremely elitist response.

I live 7 houses down from this. This tucked into a one-way side street, replacing a single story church and some rundown century homes. I will be writing in full support. Between all the density happening at King/Cedar and the Lion's Club on the other side it's not going to be very visible from any angle.

We need diverse, affordable housing. We need people of all economic means and family types to be able to live in the downtown core and make diverse, inclusive neighbourhoods. This is a perfect area for it.

Yes, it might not win any awards – but it's sorely needed housing. If you want to be an elitist about design then write to the city about the for-profit work by IN8, which the city seems to be approving with wild abandon. I'm fine with the height of those buildings, but they are ugly, cheap, overpriced, monoculture investor units you can see as far away as Guelph. That's where the focus on design standards should be.

Hey Neighbour! I live just a few doors down and across the street from this site. I will probably see the the building because of the height but I'm okay with that. I'm actually glad that the original plan with Vive fell through and that it's going to be affordable housing instead. Like the usual complaint, I wish there was 3 bedroom units planned, but I recognize the need for all sizes of units and I think this will be a welcome addition to the neighbourhood regardless of how the building looks.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »