Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recycling Issues
(05-27-2015, 08:42 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Unless they put something that identifies them in the bags.....

Yep. In Toronto, it is common practice for officials to rip through bags to find a receipt or a thrown-out letter or something with an address on it, and issue a fine.

In Toronto you can put disposable diapers in the green bin. I'm not sure why since I thought they won't biodegrade.
(05-30-2015, 09:26 AM)JoeKW Wrote: In Toronto you can put disposable diapers in the green bin.  I'm not sure why since I thought they won't biodegrade.

I know that different regions accept different items in their respective green bins, as some of them treat their organics much more rigorously, post-collection. For example, Halton Region accepts coffee cups in their green bins, as the organics treatment phase incorporates elements to break down the waxy cups, whereas coffee cups need to go in the garbage here.

On the issue of garbage collection and the 4-bag limit, have we heard about a universal garbage bag standard that'll be rolled out? 4 grocery sized garbage bags vs. 4 large black plastic bags would contain vastly different amounts of garbage. 
(05-30-2015, 10:53 AM)YKF Wrote: On the issue of garbage collection and the 4-bag limit, have we heard about a universal garbage bag standard that'll be rolled out? 4 grocery sized garbage bags vs. 4 large black plastic bags would contain vastly different amounts of garbage. 

By '4 bags' they mean standard black bin bags. I'm sure there will be an official maximum size in litres when the rules are codified.
(05-30-2015, 11:18 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(05-30-2015, 10:53 AM)YKF Wrote: On the issue of garbage collection and the 4-bag limit, have we heard about a universal garbage bag standard that'll be rolled out? 4 grocery sized garbage bags vs. 4 large black plastic bags would contain vastly different amounts of garbage. 

By '4 bags' they mean standard black bin bags. I'm sure there will be an official maximum size in litres when the rules are codified.

You're right. Either way, they've got 2 years to work out the details and ensure that people know what the rules are.
(05-27-2015, 03:30 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Don't get me started on diapers...disposable diapers are unnecessary most of the time. I understand they can occasionally be convenient.

Quote: After analyzing the results in their latest edition of The Consumers’ Guide to Effective Environmental Choices, UCS encouraged people not to “waste a lot of time or energy trying to decide which type of diapers to use based on environmental considerations,” since the differences aren’t particularly dramatic.
With the "bag" limit, how does that work for those of us that use garbage cans? Is there an equivalent?

I was pretty sure that on one of the CKCO news broadcasts they said bags and/bins.
(05-30-2015, 02:10 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Quote: After analyzing the results in their latest edition of The Consumers’ Guide to Effective Environmental Choices, UCS encouraged people not to “waste a lot of time or energy trying to decide which type of diapers to use based on environmental considerations,” since the differences aren’t particularly dramatic.

I remember reading once that the disposable diaper issue vis a vis land fills was generally quite overblown, and that they constitute a relatively miniscule proportion of land fill waste. And I've read elsewhere that there are too many individual and regional variables to come to a general consensus of which is more or less environmentally impactful. One article I read suggested that it could come down to what kind of washing machine you use, and how you use it.

My meaning was that, in places where bag limits are being considered, diapers are often cited as one excuse for not being able to adhere to them. If a family finds itself throwing away so many disposable diapers that their garbage cans can't accommodate their other waste, regular diapers are an option for them. I don't think we should be tailoring waste policy around a minority of people with children in diapers, who are also unwilling to use reusable diapers.
(06-01-2015, 08:12 AM)MidTowner Wrote: My meaning was that, in places where bag limits are being considered, diapers are often cited as one excuse for not being able to adhere to them. If a family finds itself throwing away so many disposable diapers that their garbage cans can't accommodate their other waste, regular diapers are an option for them. I don't think we should be tailoring waste policy around a minority of people with children in diapers, who are also unwilling to use reusable diapers.

Yet apparently, this waste policy is being tailored towards the minority opinion.  The majority of people surveyed preferred a two bag limit and weekly pickup.  A minority said that three to four bags biweekly would work.  From a recent Record story on the topic

Quote:In a regional telephone survey of 511 people that staff consider representative of the average citizen of the region, 68 per cent said two bags of garbage would be a good limit if there was weekly garbage pickup.

Thirty-five per cent said three to four bags would work for garbage collection every two weeks and 34 per cent of people said they would prefer at least five bags of garbage permitted if it's only collected twice a month.
It's also not just children who use disposable diapers.  A growing number of aging adults (baby boomers) are also using briefs on a daily basis.
(06-02-2015, 11:32 AM)nms Wrote:
(06-01-2015, 08:12 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I don't think we should be tailoring waste policy around a minority of people with children in diapers, who are also unwilling to use reusable diapers.

Yet apparently, this waste policy is being tailored towards the minority opinion.  The majority of people surveyed preferred a two bag limit and weekly pickup.  A minority said that three to four bags biweekly would work.

Here's what the report itself said:

Quote:Citizens were then asked whether their household could manage bi-weekly garbage collection, if unlimited blue boxes and green bins continued to be picked up weekly. Exactly half of the citizens surveyed reported that their current practices would allow them to manage bi-weekly garbage collection, while half were opposed to it. Support for bi-weekly collection is strongest among green bin users.

Citizens were asked their thoughts on a reasonable bag limit for bi-weekly garbage collection. The majority of citizens (66 per cent) would be served by a bi-weekly four bag limit, which corresponds with the reported current set-out rates of approximately two bags per week.

What MidTowner was getting at wasn't who would prefer a different policy, but who would find it more than an inconvenience.
(06-02-2015, 11:32 AM)nms Wrote: It's also not just children who use disposable diapers.  A growing number of aging adults (baby boomers) are also using briefs on a daily basis.

That's a very good point.
(06-02-2015, 06:36 PM)mpd618 Wrote: Here's what the report itself said:

Quote:Citizens were then asked whether their household could manage bi-weekly garbage collection, if unlimited blue boxes and green bins continued to be picked up weekly. Exactly half of the citizens surveyed reported that their current practices would allow them to manage bi-weekly garbage collection, while half were opposed to it. Support for bi-weekly collection is strongest among green bin users.

Citizens were asked their thoughts on a reasonable bag limit for bi-weekly garbage collection. The majority of citizens (66 per cent) would be served by a bi-weekly four bag limit, which corresponds with the reported current set-out rates of approximately two bags per week.

What MidTowner was getting at wasn't who would prefer a different policy, but who would find it more than an inconvenience.

Thanks. To me, the most important part of the report is that the average waste set-out is 1.8 bags for non green bin users, and 1.5 bags for green bin users. A two bag weekly or four bag biweekly limit is therefore going to be no more than theoretical for the average household, who will not be challenged by this limit to reduce the waste they send to the landfill. A three bag limit would require the average non green bin user to become a green bin user (which is one of the goals).

As you point out, mpd618, two thirds of people would be served by the 4-bag biweekly limited- meaning both that they would be able to meet it, and would not be inconvenienced by it.

We really should be discussing averages here. For people with medical conditions and other legitimate reasons, there will be exemptions. For those who simply can not be bothered to reduce their waste, there is always the option to pay to get rid of more.

(06-03-2015, 10:43 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Thanks. To me, the most important part of the report is that the average waste set-out is 1.8 bags for non green bin users, and 1.5 bags for green bin users.

I can believe these numbers ... yet in our household (two people + one cat) we put out the green bin every week, recycling most weeks -- and maybe one bag of garbage every three weeks on average.  And the garbage is not urgent because all the stinky stuff ends up in the green bin.

Incidentally, walking around our neighbourhood on garbage-day mornings, I would say more than 50% of the people have the green bin out.
So, the next step for the 2017 operations was decided at the Region last night.

Record article

I was looking into the company given the city-collection contract, Miller Waste Systems; their website conveniently includes a photo of a truck capable of collecting both blue and green bin items.

[Image: tier-3_WM_municipal_collection.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »