Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
(06-23-2022, 10:44 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(06-23-2022, 01:17 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: More bad planning and waste for the airport. Why does an airport that has 10 scheduled aircraft movements per day really need a two bus shuttle to the far parking lot. It's better service than most people receive from GRT.

It doesn't, the current lot is adequate for 10 scheduled movements per day. However, the expansion is opening soon, and the second that expansion opens Flair is doubling the number of flights. That requires more parking.

(06-23-2022, 01:17 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: But more to the point, if we're going to spend 800k (and up) on a shuttle service, can anyone explain to me why building a parking garage closer to the terminal wasn't considered?

The long term plan is a parking garage, where the current parking lot is. However, that creates a problem for where people will park during construction. Also, the timelines associated with garage construction are problematic. The terminal expansion was built with modular relocatable buildings because of their speed of construction, but I'm not aware of any similar technology for parking garages.

I think the same holds true for 20 movements a day. These aren't large planes.

As for parking garages, the site has 3 large parking lots already, they could easily have staged construction a different way, there are spaces for temporary parking if absolutely necessary. If it was a priority, it could have been made to work.

The fact that they are coming to approve this now, just shows that they were not considering this when they made the choices they did, but I guess compared with constructing an entire new parking lot.

This is where I am fiscally conservative. We waste so much money doing stuff like this. Yes, I disagree that we should have banked such an enormous amount of money on Flair, but leaving that aside, we should do better with the money we have.

I see this with transit too. I still don't understand why the transit terminal is such an astronomical price. But fiscal conservatism goes the other way too. Cutting heaters from some stations (the Waterloo city centre station no less) was an absolutely fiscally irresponsible choice as well.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - by danbrotherston - 06-23-2022, 11:14 AM