Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
(05-13-2019, 01:37 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: Sunwing will have 2 flights weekly from YKF starting next winter... Punta Cana and Cancun.

Coke

I wonder if other airlines will offer flights from YKF this year.

I noticed that Jetlines no longer shows its proposed flight map and there is no mention of using Hamilton as a hub.  I suppose it's possible they are still looking at Kitchener.  Last year, Flair Airlines moved out of Hamilton as soon as they found out that Swoop (WestJet's low cost carrier) would operate out of Hamilton.  Flair had potential but they obviously can't compete with an airline that has deep pockets.  It would appear that Jetlines reached the same conclusion.  But they need a hub in Southern Ontario and I suspect that YKF's offer to guarantee routes for a couple of years is starting to look appealing.  One of the flights Flair offered from Hamilton was to Cancun.    Now that route is taken by Sunwing.  Jetlines is planning on a launch in time for winter travel so I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to fly out of YKF.  There are some drawbacks though.  Jetlines wants to serve the greater Toronto area but there is limited transportation to and from Toronto to Breslau.  There was talk of a GO station at Breslau and that would help.  Bus service to Toronto would also help.  Because Jetlines is a ULCC I can't see too many passengers taking a taxi to Toronto. Regardless, I hope YKF will offer more flights.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - by jgsz - 05-14-2019, 09:28 AM