Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
(04-17-2021, 04:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: And so we're betting 44MM of our taxpayer dollars (or, 25MM if you want to be generous) on the success of a small startup airline.

I certainly wouldn't invest my money on that...it's a foolish thing to do.  Airlines usually fail...

Flair has been around for 16 years, mostly operating charter and cargo flights. They're not AC or WJ, but they're probably the most serious attempt at a ULCC in Canada ever. You're right there's some risk involved, but if the region isn't interested in the risk of getting a new passenger airport off the ground it should really cut its losses and end passenger service at YKF.

I think it's also fair to point out that much of the work isn't Flair-specific. The expanded runway will make it significantly easier to attract any airline.

(04-17-2021, 04:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I have no idea how they are pricing tickets that much cheaper than from Toronto, but I'm going to bet that isn't a sustainable business.

It's the ULCC business model, best known from airlines like Ryanair and EasyJet. Single class in a high density config, single aircraft model, nothing included (not even a carry-on), operate out of smaller cheaper airports. It's new to Canada, but it's hardly a new business model. The only reason we don't have ULCCs already in Canada is foreign investment restrictions, and anti-competitive behaviour by AC and WJ (e.g. Swoop).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - by taylortbb - 04-17-2021, 05:55 PM