Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
(07-21-2015, 11:32 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I think BuildingScout nailed it. People simply aren't aware of YKF as an option. I flew YKF-ORD-SFO last year, and of the ~30 people I told about my trip 28 were surprised I could fly from Waterloo. Many people living in KW didn't even know we had an airport with commercial service, much less had any idea where it flew to. Everyone I talked to in Toronto was shocked that YKF existed, even the ones that hate Pearson due to its size and would happily drive to YKF.

Yes, you can do YKF-ORD-SFO (and tons of other connections through ORD).

For me personally, though, I will always prefer a direct flight over a connection: less hassle, less risk of delays (missed connections), and less risk of lost luggage if you do check luggage.  And ORD is one of my least favourite airports.

And the direct will almost always be quicker, even with the drive to YYZ: tomorrow, I have basically one option from YKF: depart YKF at 07:00, connect ORD, arrive SFO at 12:40.  From YYZ, I can depart at 08:00, and arrive SFO at 10:25, more than two hours earlier.  And departure time from my house would not be all that much different as the flight leaves an hour later.  (And there are five other direct flights later in the day.)

Finally, if AA is not your preferred airline, then the YKF-ORD connection is much less desirable.

So, yes, you can fly from YKF to almost anywhere.  But it'll be with a connection using AA through ORD, and everything that comes with that.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - by tomh009 - 07-22-2015, 08:02 AM