Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
Too bad! Wasn't huge on their beer but I always enjoyed the space. They were one of the few small to mid sized sized venues that welcomed local bands and actually paid half-decently for performances. They'll be missed.

If any former Descendents drinkers are looking for another great brewery with a local and ethical focus I'd highly recommend Counterpoint at the corner of Victoria and Fredrick. Not the same bar-room vibe but excellent beer and they do events every month or so.

Counterpoint is a solid vote. It’s sad to
See them go for sure. A few breweries have disappeared now I think. But there remain plenty of good options (and one bad one).
I liked Descendants for the convenience as it is walking distance for me and the beer was okay. They've been for sale for about three years now, I remember seeing a listing on realtor.ca in March/April 2020. Kind of surprised no one bought it. IIRC you got everything except the beer recipes.

ETA: just read the Record article, they listed it for sale in Sept 2020.
(12-05-2022, 03:39 PM)Chris Wrote: This has to be Milton's? Could be one of the Wideman places or even Bent Elbow, but it definitely seems like it's Milton's.

https://kitchener.citynews.ca/police-bea...st-6199515

Weapons call at licensed establishment results in arrest

A man is facing a long list of charges after a weapons call at a licensed establishment in Kitchener.

The incident happened the evening of December 3. The business is located in the area of King Street East and Fairway Road South.

According to police, when a man was asked to leave, he allegedly brandished a knife and made threats. The suspect left and was located a short distance away by officers.

Drunk belligerent guy pulling a knife after being asked to leave sounds more on brand for Milton's than The Bent Elbow. I've honestly never been to either so I don't know the vibe of the latter establishment, but I hear it's a good place for good craft and important beer so my guess is the clientele aren't there pounding back InBev branded piss water and getting into fights. I could be wrong though and a hipster actually did have too many IPA's at The Belt Elbow and started yelling. :'P
Abe Erb's Waterloo location is up for sale:

https://www.therecord.com/business/2023/...-sale.html

https://www.carverealestate.com/property...-south-15/
Signs up for a new Thai restaurant with cocktails coming to 345 King St W. They've got two locations in London that appear to be well revised.

I hear that Queen Shawarma and also The Burrito place across from Ace Shawarma have closed?

That's pretty disappointing. Queen Shawarma was my fav/go to place for years. They were really great folks. I think the closing of the bus terminal hurt their business some. But I have no idea what happened...

Queen Shawarma definitely closed. Don't know whether it's due to the bus station, or the large number of competing shawarma places.
(02-10-2023, 12:46 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Queen Shawarma definitely closed. Don't know whether it's due to the bus station, or the large number of competing shawarma places.

I mean, those shawarma places aren't new I think. But in any case, I'm sure things are tough for DT retailers...but I have no idea if that's why they're closed.
I thought Queen Shwarama was moving into the Food Hall at the Market?
That'd be great news! I'd let my former coworkers know.
(02-10-2023, 01:55 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-10-2023, 12:46 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Queen Shawarma definitely closed. Don't know whether it's due to the bus station, or the large number of competing shawarma places.

I mean, those shawarma places aren't new I think. But in any case, I'm sure things are tough for DT retailers...but I have no idea if that's why they're closed.

There does not appear to be any trend toward fewer cafes or restaurants. Some have closed but new ones have opened in the same locations. Bahar, Starbucks (again), Island Mix, Soi, Rose Cafe, Jayalakshmi and Humble Lotus appear to be net new additions since last summer, Rainbow is the only net loss (no replacement) that I can think of during that time.

Still more people moving downtown, and lots of students here now, too.
(02-10-2023, 03:36 PM)Chris Wrote: I thought Queen Shwarama was moving into the Food Hall at the Market?

I'd be thrilled if that was the case. They've always been my favorite DTK shawarma spot, but as someone that works at Workhaus (the market property) I don't generally walk all the way to Ontario St for lunch. But if I could get it right next door, I'd eat it a lot more often.

From speaking with the owner of Queen Shawarma, I've understood that they are in line for a spot in the Market Food Hall, but don't have one yet. They have a Saturday Market stall lined up and plan to sell their pre-made goods from there until a spot opens for them in the Food Hall.
(02-10-2023, 12:36 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I hear that Queen Shawarma and also The Burrito place across from Ace Shawarma have closed?

That's pretty disappointing. Queen Shawarma was my fav/go to place for years. They were really great folks. I think the closing of the bus terminal hurt their business some. But I have no idea what happened...

Big Fat Pita - it does seem to have closed unfortunately. They went from "temporarily closed" on Google Maps and delivery apps for about a month, and then permanently closed on Google Maps and completely removed from delivery apps. The windows are papered over, although some ads remain up.

I started eating at Ace Shawarma since then, but it feels significantly less healthy (way too much sauce on everything). Ace does have proper online ordering though (without paying for the Uber/Skip/Doordash overhead), which I wish every restaurant had.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »