Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
(02-16-2023, 03:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Odd Duck Wine & Provisions (which has done pop-ups before) is taking up residence on Ontario St, including the locations of Queen Shawarma and (the temporary home of) the BIA. Looks interesting ...

The Odd Duck is now open for dining!

Does anyone know if the cafe on Queen Street that The Working Centre runs permanently shut down? I know it shut down in 2020 because of the pandemic but it hasn't reopened and the interior doesn't look like it's been occupied in a long time. It was a nice cafe so I'd hate to hear it's gone.
(06-30-2023, 04:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: Does anyone know if the cafe on Queen Street that The Working Centre runs permanently shut down? I know it shut down in 2020 because of the pandemic but it hasn't reopened and the interior doesn't look like it's been occupied in a long time. It was a nice cafe so I'd hate to hear it's gone.

It will reopen, but no firm timetable.

Source: I work at TWC. I miss the cafe too.
The Chainsaw building is up for lease again.
(07-01-2023, 08:15 AM)kzurell Wrote:
(06-30-2023, 04:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: Does anyone know if the cafe on Queen Street that The Working Centre runs permanently shut down? I know it shut down in 2020 because of the pandemic but it hasn't reopened and the interior doesn't look like it's been occupied in a long time. It was a nice cafe so I'd hate to hear it's gone.

It will reopen, but no firm timetable.

Cool, thanks! Must be costing them a hell of a lot of rent money unless the organization somehow gets it cheaper or subsidized given their role in the community? No idea. Either way the café was nice because they weren't as expensive as other cafés downtown, so even if you were pretty broke you could still go there. Used to have some cool events every so often too, from someone spontaneously playing the piano to a weekly movie night with arthouse or foreign films to watch. They were a nice unique melting pot of a wide range of people from vastly different socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds and you don't really see many places like that in Waterloo Region because it's so extremely generic and capitalist. Like a street person could wander into Queen Street Commons and drink a tea but if they did it at Smile Tiger or something, everyone would probably feel sketched out.
(07-07-2023, 10:12 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(07-01-2023, 08:15 AM)kzurell Wrote: It will reopen, but no firm timetable.

Cool, thanks! Must be costing them a hell of a lot of rent money unless the organization somehow gets it cheaper or subsidized given their role in the community? No idea.

They own the building. Smile
(07-08-2023, 04:08 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-07-2023, 10:12 PM)ac3r Wrote: Cool, thanks! Must be costing them a hell of a lot of rent money unless the organization somehow gets it cheaper or subsidized given their role in the community? No idea.

They own the building. Smile

What about Fresh Ground? I can't imagine they own that building too, do they?

(07-10-2023, 11:03 AM)GtwoK Wrote:
(07-08-2023, 04:08 PM)tomh009 Wrote: They own the building. Smile

I believe they do.  Didn't they acquire it and put apartments upstairs?
(07-10-2023, 11:03 AM)GtwoK Wrote:
(07-08-2023, 04:08 PM)tomh009 Wrote: They own the building. Smile

They do indeed.
Waterloo Wendy's making room for what will be the region's only LGBTQ venue

Quote:The Wendy's restaurant on Weber Street in Waterloo will be making room for what will be the region's only LGBTQ venue exclusive for the community.

John Ribson, the owner of the LGBTQ bar franchise The Well with locations in Toronto, Hamilton and London, said that he's hoping to begin construction for a Waterloo location this month by converting half a Wendy's — which he also owns — into an LGBTQ space.
There is an Indian restaurant coming soon to Frederick Mall, in the unit that newly exits to the exterior beside the grocery store (they split the old Steve's rental unit in half). Good to see some new restaurants in this area.
An Indian restaurant opens up nearly every week somewhere in the city hah. Feels like there's one on every block no matter where you are. I imagine it'll be like the vape and weed stores...only the good ones will survive.
This Sunday July 30th from 1 to 7PM the second KW Palestine Festival will be going on at the new Gaukel block. It's being organized by Sporas, a Palestinian diaspora group. Seems like there will be events to educate on Palestinian culture, their struggles with the Zionists, food, live music, dancing and so on. Check it out if you've got free time!

Their Instagram has more info: https://www.instagram.com/sporasscattered

[Image: Y4FDaXQ.jpg]

(07-21-2023, 05:19 PM)ac3r Wrote: This Sunday July 30th from 1 to 7PM the second KW Palestine Festival will be going on at the new Gaukel block. It's being organized by Sporas, a Palestinian diaspora group. Seems like there will be events to educate on Palestinian culture, their struggles with the Zionists, food, live music, dancing and so on. Check it out if you've got free time!

I think that is next Sunday, is it not? Smile
(07-21-2023, 04:18 PM)ac3r Wrote: An Indian restaurant opens up nearly every week somewhere in the city hah. Feels like there's one on every block no matter where you are. I imagine it'll be like the vape and weed stores...only the good ones will survive.

One would hope - bad Indian food not an experience to repeat.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »