Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
(04-03-2018, 01:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 10:46 AM)plam Wrote: Muya on Highland has slightly better reviews on Google Maps, but we sort of liked East Africa Cafe more. I hope they have a new location.

Muya is good, but it's Ethiopian. Was EAC Ethiopian as well? I had assumed Kenya/Tanzania, but that may have been a poor assumption.

This should be in the restaurants thread, right? EAC had food that I recognized as Ethiopian, although I've never had food from Kenya or Tanzania.

Is Northern Thai about to close? I recall the building was for sale earlier, and now there is a renovation building permit issued for the building:

Quote:Permit is for interior alterations to an existing restaurant to add a new shawarma station including new hood and fryer
A user in another forum said: "EAC update: decided to call Afework (the owner) and he says they're just putting in new windows and such. They'll be open later this week. He's also looking at taking over the other space to open an East African grocery store. So, good news!"

I don't know who this person is any more than I know who most of you are, which is to say generally reliable members of the local community. So it could be BS, and this is all internet rumour-mongering, but I have fairly high confidence.
(04-03-2018, 03:37 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Is Northern Thai about to close? I recall the building was for sale earlier, and now there is a renovation building permit issued for the building:

Quote:Permit is for interior alterations to an existing restaurant to add a new shawarma station including new hood and fryer

I'll be heartbroken if this is the case.  Please someone say it's not so
I see that Langdon Hall has been ranked #5 on this year's list of the 100 best restaurants in Canada.  Unfortunately, it is the only restaurant in the Region to make the list.
DTK San Francisco Panini has closed; there's a bailiff notice in the window that the locks have been changed.
(04-12-2018, 10:55 AM)EdM Wrote: DTK San Francisco Panini has closed; there's a bailiff notice in the window that the locks have been changed.

Well, they really didn't last very long. I was just thinking yesterday that they might need to adapt to reduce overlap with La Cucina. But it appears that this is no longer an issue.

On the top 50 bars in Canada, Arabella Park came in at #46, the only local entry.
This was from the same site that lists the top 100 restaurants in Canada.
Mark's Caribbean Kitchen & Seafood now open, across the street from Rainbow Caribbean Café (the old Amana Express location).

Is The Berlin renovating, or closed?
(04-17-2018, 08:55 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Is The Berlin renovating, or closed?

Nothing on their website or Facebook page to indicate that they are not open.
Looked in the front window last night and it looked like a LOT was happening in there. Maybe they were doing things on their closed day, but it looked pretty intense otherwise.
(04-17-2018, 11:54 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Looked in the front window last night and it looked like a LOT was happening in there. Maybe they were doing things on their closed day, but it looked pretty intense otherwise.

They must have done them intensely as they were open for business last night. Smile

not sure if this was mentioned but it looks like Empress Of India has moved to the former Dragon Court location next to King Street Trio. Not open yet as of a few days ago.

closed a number of weeks ago: http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...6#pid50766
That's a little bit closer, but we really need a decent Indian restaurant in DTK ...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »