Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
Happy New Year, Everyone / Bonne année à tous

Last year was a very good year for food and dining in Waterloo Region.

Towards the end of the year I discovered two fabulous soups.  

The first was the Tortilla Soup at the Cactus Mexican Restaurant in Waterloo. One bowl of this tasty, rich, Mexican soup is almost enough for lunch.  The soup comes with a nice slice of avocado (in the soup) and if you really want to jazz it up ask for some extra hot sauce.

The other soup was the Sambar Soup at Classic Indian Restaurant, also in Waterloo.  This is a spiced-up lentil soup that may be too spicy for some but it is super delicious if you can handle it.

My all-time favourite soup is the Hot and Sour Soup at Cameron Chinese Seafood Restaurant.  I just can't get enough of it!

Although it opened in late 2018, my favourite new grocery store is T&T Supermarket in Waterloo.  I just love that place.  Too bad it's not closer to downtown Kitchener.

Although it also opened in late 2018, NARANJ Syrian Restaurant is one of my favourite new finds in 2019.  It's a bit expensive compared to other Middle Eastern restaurants but the food is delicious with rich and exotic flavours.  The presentation is always amazing and the restaurant is very clean.

We live in downtown Kitchener so a number of times we've taken the ION to the end of the line to have lunch at Mashawi in Waterloo or to have pizza at the Pie Co Pizza Bar in Kitchener.  Both restaurants opened in 2019.  Mashawi has a very delicious, affordable, lunch special.  Their web site shows what's on special that day but all the specials are available during the week.  A bit confusing but worth the trip.  

Raja Fine Indian Cuisine on Belmont also has a tasty, affordable, lunch special.  Unfortunately they don't advertise their specials on their web page.   

Barnacle Bill's in Cambridge is our favourite Fish and Chips place in Waterloo Region. 

Pho Sunrise is our favourite restaurant for phos and other Viet-Thai dishes.

Worth mentioning are restaurants we've eaten at more than once in the past year.  Of course all the restaurants mentioned above are on the list.  Others include: La Cucina, Kinkaku Izakaya, Pho Tran, Arabesque, Joey's Seafood Restaurant, Highland Halal Shawarma, Chic Pea, Kitchener Market, Marks Caribbean Kitchen, Sahar's KitchenRainbow Caribbean Cuisine, Golden Dynasty Restaurant, Fork and Cork Grill, Anna Mae's Bakery and Restaurant in Millbank and a few others.   Yes, we even get our very basic, typical, Canadian-Chinese food from Mei King Restaurant.  

Over all, not a bad year for eats...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - by jgsz - 01-01-2020, 10:05 AM
Bobby O'Briens - by Shawn - 08-26-2014, 09:44 PM
Re: Bobby O'Briens - by Shawn - 08-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Love Wings and Beer?? - by Shawn - 09-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Re: Love Wings and Beer?? - by trakt0r - 09-23-2014, 07:37 AM