Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traffic Lights
Traffic Lights in Waterloo Region

[Image: qo51uHrw.jpg]
(Image from Sean_Marshall on Flickr)

Gradually over the past four or so years, the Region has adopted new standards for traffic signals that are quite different from the past standards and that of most other Ontario municipalities. The changes include:
  • The use of black casings (new and definitely the most distinguishing difference), with yellow backboards and a reflective 3M border;
  • Gradual addition of pedestrian countdown feature to all signalized intersections;
  • Modern audible pedestrian signals (APS) being installed at select intersections;
  • Raising the height of lights by fastening them to arms mid-way instead of hanging from a fastener.
Has anyone else noticed these changes? In particular, what do you think of the black-casings and yellow backboards?

I guess we now join other jurisdictions such as Hamilton and Sudbury who have long used the black-casings.
It does make sense. Combines the visibility of yellow with the contrast black provides when the sun is shining on the lights.
If I could do one think with traffic lights, it would be to get rid of the arms and mount them at the curb. I hate the clutter they create hanging out over the middle of the road.
(10-20-2014, 11:04 PM)panamaniac Wrote: If I could do one think with traffic lights, it would be to get rid of the arms and mount them at the curb.  I hate the clutter they create hanging out over the middle of the road.

Wouldn't that confuse drivers who would have to hunt along the edge of the road for the stop lights among other posts and signs? The arms across the road are also useful for hanging street signs.
1. I would also look at night time sight lines and backgrounds in downtowns. At night there are many neon and other coloured lights from stores, displays, etc. that can be confused with or obscure traffic lights. I don't know what power the cities have in getting sign owners to reposition their illuminated signs but at least they could try to work cooperatively with them.

2. An early problem with LED traffic lights is/was snow accumulation. Incandescents ran hot enough to melt snow as it fell on the light. But LEDs run much cooler. How has this issue been addressed?
(10-21-2014, 12:07 AM)nms Wrote:
(10-20-2014, 11:04 PM)panamaniac Wrote: If I could do one think with traffic lights, it would be to get rid of the arms and mount them at the curb.  I hate the clutter they create hanging out over the middle of the road.

Wouldn't that confuse drivers who would have to hunt along the edge of the road for the stop lights among other posts and signs? The arms across the road are also useful for hanging street signs.

Does is strike anyone else as strange that the basic technology of traffic lights hasn't seemed to change in years (please correct me)?  It seems that in a time of improving smart tech, our stop lights are still stuck in a 'dumb' era.

I would love to see:
1) more smart sensing that actually can react to traffic flow!
2) stop lights that turn to flashing at night for low traffic intersections
3) more traffic lights replaced with round-a-bouts

end rant
(10-21-2014, 08:30 AM)REnerd Wrote: Does is strike anyone else as strange that the basic technology of traffic lights hasn't seemed to change in years (please correct me)?  It seems that in a time of improving smart tech, our stop lights are still stuck in a 'dumb' era.

Yes!!

I would love to see walk signals trigger for all lights consistently, even if the button isn't pushed - some lights do this already, some lights don't.   I have had to stand for an extra cycle when I forget which is which more then once (or am half a second late to the intersection and the light is already changing). 
(10-21-2014, 08:30 AM)REnerd Wrote: I would love to see:...

If we really want to step up the technology then how about transmitters built into traffic lights (and even STOP signs) that send signals to receivers built into vehicles. These signals would alert drivers to upcoming lights and STOP signs. In the case of traffic lights they could also alert drivers that they're too far away to clear the intersection in time, i.e. to let up on the gas rather than try to race through the intersection. If the technology were added to smartphones it could be used in older vehicles, on bicycles, by pedestrians, etc.
Global news did a story on "smart traffic lights" in January of this year. It seems logical that this technology will be on the way fairly quickly once proven how much time can be saved.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1110364/smart-...r-commute/
(10-21-2014, 08:18 AM)ookpik Wrote: 1. I would also look at night time sight lines and backgrounds in downtowns. At night there are many neon and other coloured lights from stores, displays, etc. that can be confused with or obscure traffic lights. I don't know what power the cities have in getting sign owners to reposition their illuminated signs but at least they could try to work cooperatively with them.

2. An early problem with LED traffic lights is/was snow accumulation. Incandescents ran hot enough to melt snow as it fell on the light. But LEDs run much cooler. How has this issue been addressed?

I've noticed the lenses of new traffic lights (i.e. ones installed in the last year or so) are huge and almost project beyond the light's shield. This is opposed to flat lenses in front of the lights which can lead to snow build up between the shields.

I'm very observant, yes I know, but take a look next time. That's my only guess why the Region is starting to do this. Honestly, I have never seen this anywhere else.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »