Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
30-40 Margaret Ave | 3 fl townhouses | Planned
(11-15-2019, 01:23 PM)westwardloo Wrote: All it take is one wealthy individual to have an interest in the Arts to get something like this done. Unfortunately I don't know if the region has anyone that fits the bill. Most of the regions wealthiest people are more concerned with university donations. (not that there is anything wrong with this, still nice to see philanthropy)

The Region does have philanthropists who support the Arts.  For example, Ophelia Lazaridis donated between $10,000,000 and $19,999,999* to the campaign for the new Tom Patterson Theatre Centre in Stratford (opening next year -yeah!).    Over the years, Mike and Ophelia Lazaridis have probably given over a hundred million to the Stratford Festival.  I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if they support the Centre in the Square too.   

*info from the latest Stratford Programme guide I saw (Billy Elliot).

Wait...the Museum is taking up space (or all of) the BMO at the corner of Queen/King? When is this happening and why?
(11-15-2019, 05:48 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Wait...the Museum is taking up space (or all of) the BMO at the corner of Queen/King? When is this happening and why?

Announced in 2018. BMO is making a $1M donation as a part of it. https://themuseum.ca/bmo-donates-1m-offe...themuseum/
(11-15-2019, 05:31 PM)jgsz Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 01:23 PM)westwardloo Wrote: All it take is one wealthy individual to have an interest in the Arts to get something like this done. Unfortunately I don't know if the region has anyone that fits the bill. Most of the regions wealthiest people are more concerned with university donations. (not that there is anything wrong with this, still nice to see philanthropy)

The Region does have philanthropists who support the Arts.  For example, Ophelia Lazaridis donated between $10,000,000 and $19,999,999* to the campaign for the new Tom Patterson Theatre Centre in Stratford (opening next year -yeah!).    Over the years, Mike and Ophelia Lazaridis have probably given over a hundred million to the Stratford Festival.  I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if they support the Centre in the Square too.   

*info from the latest Stratford Programme guide I saw (Billy Elliot).
Although That is a beautiful building.(I have actually done some work on that building) It is not in kitchener-Waterloo and would not consider that an arts and culture initiative in the region.
(11-15-2019, 01:23 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 12:58 PM)ac3r Wrote: Absolutely. Years back I worked at two art galleries here and it is surprising how little money they operate on. One of the galleries in our city (I think it is the Clay and Glass Gallery) receives zero dollars in regional or higher tier government funding and is one of the few major galleries in Canada to operate this way. They really struggle. It doesn't help that there is minimal interest in the arts in Waterloo Region. It's nice to contemplate, but I don't see where any funding would come from to build a new cultural space anytime soon. The Museum is going to be expanding into the neighbourhing bank and KWAG just completed some new renovations, which is probably the most we'll see for new cultural spaces for a while.
All it take is one wealthy individual to have an interest in the Arts to get something like this done. Unfortunately I don't know if the region has anyone that fits the bill. Most of the regions wealthiest people are more concerned with university donations. (not that there is anything wrong with this, still nice to see philanthropy)

(11-15-2019, 06:01 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 05:48 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Wait...the Museum is taking up space (or all of) the BMO at the corner of Queen/King? When is this happening and why?

Announced in 2018. BMO is making a $1M donation as a part of it. https://themuseum.ca/bmo-donates-1m-offe...themuseum/

I believe the idea is that the bank would (thank goodness!) be demolished and themuseum expanded.  Apropos of philanthropy, themuseum itself benefitted from a large philanthripic donation ($11million iirc, from the founders of the Musagetes Foundation).

Not on the same scale, perhaps, but I know that Brenda and Hartman Krug are perennial, significant donors to KWAG, the K-W Symphony, and the Stratford Festival.
Is this project worth investing?
Hopefully the Museum will now become an internationally renowned centre. I'm in the camp of 'lets do something big'

(11-18-2019, 02:41 PM)LearningRopes Wrote: Is this project worth investing?

Investing as in donating?  Yes, I would encourage it.
I think he means Avenue M (this thread) ^. All depends - what's your intention, hold and grow whilst renting out, living yourself, short-term vs long-term? 1bdrms vs 2bdrms
So phase one is sold out.....anyone know what they mean by phase one?
Phase 1 or release 1? Phase 1 often implies multiple units/buildings to be constructed later but I think this is pretty much one long piece right - so the developer must have held some units back to increase the price later. Normal tactic nowadays.

That didn't take long @ selling out.

Man these condos are selling themselves in KW
(12-01-2019, 02:15 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Phase 1 or release 1? Phase 1 often implies multiple units/buildings to be constructed later but I think this is pretty much one long piece right - so the developer must have held some units back to increase the price later. Normal tactic nowadays.

That didn't take long @ selling out.

Man these condos are selling themselves in KW

I'm sure I saw phase one but I am also sure that they said they were holding units back.  Any idea how much the prices get jacked for the final release?
Couldn't say. If other developments give a clue, 5 to 10%

(12-01-2019, 02:15 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Phase 1 or release 1? Phase 1 often implies multiple units/buildings to be constructed later but I think this is pretty much one long piece right - so the developer must have held some units back to increase the price later. Normal tactic nowadays.

Phase 1 is the building closer to Queen St. Phase 2 is the second building (yes, they are connected by the lobby area) and its construction was slated to be about six months behind that of Phase 1.
I was out to dinner last night with a couple of "Waterloo is superior in every regard" people (both originally from Kitchener), who happen to be looking around for a new condo (not happy with 144 Park). I mentioned the "M" and the look of disdain on their faces was quite comical. "Oh, we wouldn't want to live THERE, you couldn't walk ANYWHERE!". I just started to laugh, thinking "never the twain shall meet".
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »