Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
30-40 Margaret Ave | 3 fl townhouses | Planned
Well...isn't 144 Park basically the same distance to uptown Waterloo/Waterloo Square as M is to DTK - City Hall let's say? I think that's a bit of a wash...but I could see how they might want to be in something taller 'right on the strip' perhaps.

Don't know what to say...Kitchener downtown in the evenings/after business hours isn't as 'walking lively' (until you enter a nice venue) as is uptown Waterloo...I think as a life-Kitchenarian I can admit this. Which is why I'm giddy about every new business/store/condo that is coming in DTK.

I don't want to wish away the present, but I want to revisit the comparison in almost exactly 3 and 5 years; 31DEC2022 and 31DEC2024 respectively, and see who 'wins' ha

My thoughts on the downtowns of Waterloo and Kitchener. ......

Waterloo now...Very nice and walkable....10-20 yrs from now....densely populated student housing

Kitchener now.....a little rough around the edges but "up and coming" ..... 10-20 years from now a vibrant downtown for adults lol
Poor Cambridge never gets so much of a thought from the rest of the region hah...
(12-03-2019, 10:46 AM)ac3r Wrote: Poor Cambridge never gets so much of a thought from the rest of the region hah...

Best just to think of Cambridge as K-W's ugly step sister that always wants to tag along, and it all makes sense.  Tongue
(12-03-2019, 04:33 PM)Momo26 Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 10:46 AM)ac3r Wrote: Poor Cambridge never gets so much of a thought from the rest of the region hah...

Best just to think of Cambridge as K-W's ugly step sister that always wants to tag along, and it all makes sense.  Tongue
If Cambridge could sort out its drug problem and the fact that it's 3 cities which makes the discussion of intensification contentious, then it could be a really nice place.

Downtown Galt is already a very nice area from a historical and architectural standpoint. It has a very unique quaint town vibe, and I feel like the LRT will also really transform galt and make it rival to uptown Waterloo at the very least
Downtown Galt is magnificent from an architectural standpoint...I can't stress architectural standpoint more. If they can get it together and attract at least 100+ new offices/businesses and developments, they can be part of the rivaling Waterloo discussions. It would be great, but they have a long way to go. And I also feel that Cambridge folks themselves would put up more resistance to 'selling out' and 'becoming too congested' so there also needs to take place a shift in mindset.
100+ is a big number

They don't have to all be big entities by any means but like I said, they have a ways to go (IMO). A couple condos at the Gaslight District are not going to single handily transform Galt. Kaufman Lofts, as great an addition as it was (and arguably the pioneer development in DTK), did not transform DTK by itself...it was the start of something.

The LRT will generate mega development in Cambridge no doubt. When is that phase scheduled to start construction and what is the exact route (better question for LRT thread).

That city needs to get along with itself. Once it does that, things will get better for it.

Cambridge as a whole is under-appreciated though. The city has been great at having huge industrial parks that have generated thousands of jobs for the entire region, enriching the lives of everyone living in this region, and I'd argue more so than Kitchener and Waterloo. This is often not talked about enough.

Its 3 towns have a good amount of charm and a lot of historic value. Who doesn't like walking around DTG? That area of the city has so much potential, with a river running through it, so beautiful. And "Uptown" Waterloo, DT St. Jacobs or DT Kitchener have much on it.

As others have mentioned, though, Cambridge needs to get a handle on its drug problem. Too much NIMBYISM happening in Cambridge. I would also fear that any real growth could be set back by those same folks. I'm not trying to gaslight that city, but it is what it is.
Drove by this site and noticed that newt or drift fencing has been erected.  Actual construction may start soon.
(03-04-2020, 03:14 PM)jgsz Wrote: Drove by this site and noticed that newt or drift fencing has been erected.  Actual construction may start soon.

Trees on the site have started coming down.
That is the sad part of this development, there are many old beautiful trees on the properties...
I do believe they are keeping many of the trees at the back of the property.

That would be great. My daughter and I go by the property every Monday night for her dance class. We always admire how beautiful the trees are and the whole neighborhood. I would love to buy in this area...... In my opinion, it is one of the most beautiful areas of the region. And as people buy these homes and update them, look out...
That would be fantastic and definitely doable. They would like the parking lot back there right?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »