Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cambridge Multi-Sports Complex [Proposed]
The potential sites have been selected for the multiplex. Hespeler Road gets my vote; if they're worried about space, just buy up the land through to Dunbar and set some of it aside.

While the Hespeler Rd. site has access to ION, it is also right across the road from the YMCA. The Y doesn't offer the ice surfaces, but it does have a pool and possibly a gym (I only ever swim there).
Turns out the land at Dunbar is spoken for; there's a "Coming Soon" sign advertising a development. Didn't get a good look at the artist's concept but it looked like strip mall to me.
They're getting nervous.

"My concern is, it won't happen"
I think they should take another look at the Conestoga site. GRT could have more frequent buses from Preston. If their concerns are about KW being too close to the site, they could easily prioritize bookings of the facilities for Cambridge.
It's not just the facilities for those who don't like the site. It's great for people in Preston (and to an extent Galt thanks to Blair Road) but it's not central for most of the city. Plus when you're stopping at Tim's or McDonalds after practice or before a hockey game, the nearest ones are in Kitchener. You have to go almost to Eagle Street to find the nearest restaurants and shops in Cambridge.
(03-26-2017, 10:24 AM)DHLawrence Wrote: It's not just the facilities for those who don't like the site. It's great for people in Preston (and to an extent Galt thanks to Blair Road) but it's not central for most of the city. Plus when you're stopping at Tim's or McDonalds after practice or before a hockey game, the nearest ones are in Kitchener. You have to go almost to Eagle Street to find the nearest restaurants and shops in Cambridge.

It's generally rare for a sports facility to be central, given the parking requirements and the cost and availability of downtown land in most cities.  So in that regard this would not be unusually far.

If there will be lots of people going to the complex, food business will follow.  If not within the complex itself, there will be  restaurants popping up nearby once the complex opens.

Personally, I have no preference.  But as the Record article says, if people can't accept a compromise, it might never happen at all.

I can see food service coming in for both the students and rec complex users; given those very distinct demographics it would probably make it appealing.
How long did it take for similar food service amenities to locate next to RIM Park?
RIM Park built a small cafe and a larger bar into RIM Park, but certainly folks who have a desire for a particular coffee or breakfast sandwich are still waiting.
(03-27-2017, 12:29 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: RIM Park built a small cafe and a larger bar into RIM Park, but certainly folks who have a desire for a particular coffee or breakfast sandwich are still waiting.

Surely you are not suggesting that municipal facility sites should be chosen based on the proximity of particular brands of restaurants?
I am not, I think it's ridiculous to do that. But I also think that families in Cambridge would be best served by a single facility. If they want to try placing it right smack in the middle of the city, that's fine so long as they are willing to pay the price of getting that land. The last thing they should do is delay it into price increases and reduced options, and wind up with separate facilities on opposite periphery spots around the city. Or to be spiteful and pick a greenfield site south of Galt, to try to "hide" the facility from Kitchenerites.
What are the advantages of a single facility instead of splitting up the arena and other uses? Are there any events that actually make use of the entire facility? I personally don't understand the appeal of these huge complexes as opposed to spreading the services throughout the city, other than I'm assuming many smaller sites are (much?) more expensive to run.

More expensive to run smaller sites, more expensive to create two entirely different building designs and build them, more expensive to provide sufficient parking and good transit connections separately, makes it harder to argue about add-on things (like food vendors, fitness centre) for a smaller overall facility.
(03-27-2017, 04:15 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: More expensive to run smaller sites, more expensive to create two entirely different building designs and build them, more expensive to provide sufficient parking and good transit connections separately, makes it harder to argue about add-on things (like food vendors, fitness centre) for a smaller overall facility.

But is that expense greater than, or worth, not having a central location?  If multiple smaller central locations were possible, would that be better than a remote single location at the same cost?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »