Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Change Kitchener's name back to Berlin?
(11-24-2014, 04:41 PM)jgsz Wrote: If the trains are to be named, I would like to see one called Berlin.  Actually, if it's not too late, one of the stops (Young or Benton) should be called Berlin.

Why stop at trains. The whole city should revert to its original name.

And then we can rename the University to University of Waberlin or Universy of Beterloo
(11-24-2014, 06:42 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: And then we can rename the University to University of Waberlin or Universy of Beterloo

On what basis? UW is in Waterloo, not Kitschy, er, Berlin Wink

And it was named before there was a regional government so there's no ambiguity over which Waterloo it refers to.
And when the two cities finally amalgamate as "Waterloo", they'd just have to change the name back!
Thumbs Up 
(11-24-2014, 06:25 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(11-24-2014, 04:41 PM)jgsz Wrote: If the trains are to be named, I would like to see one called Berlin.  Actually, if it's not too late, one of the stops (Young or Benton) should be called Berlin.

Why stop at trains. The whole city should revert to its original name.

[Image: thumbsup.gif] [Image: thumbsup.gif] 

Translation: Two thumbs up for Berlin ... the real city name without the xenophobia!
(11-24-2014, 09:59 PM)MacBerry Wrote:
(11-24-2014, 06:25 PM)ookpik Wrote: Why stop at trains. The whole city should revert to its original name.

[Image: thumbsup.gif] [Image: thumbsup.gif] 

Translation: Two thumbs up for Berlin ... the real city name without the xenophobia!

So we can have another city where you have to say "I'm from {London|Paris|Berlin}, Ontario" ? No thanks.

I'll point out something. What has been Kitchener for the last 98 years was the Village, Town, or City of Berlin for only 83 years (from 1833 to 1916.) The weight of history as measured by time is on the side of Kitchener, however poor the decision-making process was that got us here.
(11-25-2014, 09:59 AM)zanate Wrote:
(11-24-2014, 09:59 PM)MacBerry Wrote:               [Image: thumbsup.gif] [Image: thumbsup.gif] 

So we can have another city where you have to say "I'm from {London|Paris|Berlin}, Ontario" ? No thanks.

I'll point out something. What has been Kitchener for the last 98 years was the Village, Town, or City of Berlin for only 83 years (from 1833 to 1916.) The weight of history as measured by time is on the side of Kitchener, however poor the decision-making process was that got us here.

My suggestion was to call one of the trains or one of the stops 'Berlin.'  Changing Kitchener's name back to Berlin requires a new thread.   

(11-25-2014, 09:59 AM)zanate Wrote: So we can have another city where you have to say "I'm from {London|Paris|Berlin}, Ontario" ? No thanks.
The same applies to Waterloo (QC, Belgium) and also to Cambridge (UK.)

Quote:The weight of history as measured by time is on the side of Kitchener, however poor the decision-making process was that got us here.
My objection to the name Kitchener is about who it commemorates—the father of concentration camps and scorched earth policies among other notable achievements.
Yes, the choice of Kitchener is embarrassing. That name needs to go. Waterloo/Grand River City/Berlin/Whatev's just not Mr. Concentration Camps.

How about Lyon, pronounced Lion, following on the tradition of the local Delhi pronounced Del-hi. Why Lyon? Only a King would now.
(11-25-2014, 01:40 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Yes, the choice of Kitchener is embarrassing. That name needs to go. Waterloo/Grand River City/Berlin/Whatev's  just not Mr. Concentration Camps.

How about Lyon, pronounced Lion, following on the tradition of the local Delhi pronounced Del-hi. Why Lyon? Only a King would now.

We really do need a thread on changing the name of the city formerly known as Berlin. A name commemorating MacKenzie King would not be without some controversy as well: he was an occultist who some believe frequenting prostitutes. No one is perfect. I don't think the Earl of Kitchener's legacy is entirely negative or positive, as few people's are.

It was a terrible thing to let prejudiced mania during wartime convince you to change the name of your town to commemorate someone who was wildly popular at the time, but would inevitably have a very mixed legacy. Most Berliners or Kitchenerites probably would not know why the city has the name it does, though.
It gets tricky when people start proposing to rename anything (just ask the good folks who live on Erbsville Road what they thought when the Region proposed to rename it Ira Needles Boulevard north of Erb St).

If we don't want to name the trains after people, why not name them after the various settlements that were at one point within Waterloo Township (which almost matches up with Kitchener-Waterloo, Preston and Hespeler) and North Dumfries Township where the Ion will eventually operate? 
I like the idea of a name change, but I think the time for a name change is long gone, we have been called Kitchener for 100 years and we are fairly well known through out the world. If Kitchener was to be renamed though I think Zehrville, Zehrcity or Schneiderlin would sound cool.
Schneiderlin sounds like some kind of synthetic fabric!

The 1916 name change would not meet any criteria today. How can 346 voters in a town of over 15,000 decide the new name? That's just wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_to_K...ame_change

Historical injustices are sometimes overturned. But I doubt this will be one of them. So I'd settle for either the Benton Street or the Young Street stops to be called Berlin.
(11-25-2014, 09:59 AM)zanate Wrote: So we can have another city where you have to say "I'm from {London|Paris|Berlin}, Ontario" ? No thanks.

Umm.  I live just outside Washington, Ontario.  Other than a few raised eyebrows there have been no problems with that name.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »