Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grocery Stores
It will be interesting to see if there is any shuffling of tenants at Westmount Plaza. At least three storefronts are or will be vacant in the central part (ex TD, ex Lashbrooks, ex 1/2 Tweed and Hickory). Will T&T be requiring more than the current ex Marks Work Wear space and put pressure on the existing tenants on the north side (eg returning to the former Mr Grocer footprint)?

Mr Grocer? Surely you mean Dominion! Wink

And Central Meat Market thrived while Dominion/Mr Grocer were still in business, and the population is far higher now, so I don't think T&T is going to be the end of Central, either.
Two different Centrals...Central Meat Market (now Central Fresh Market) has survived in spite of all kinds of challenges. T&T won't impact it; I would imagine they serve largely different clientele.

Waterloo Central Supermarket, on University near Phillip, could be very aversely affected by T&T.
Ahhh, my bad! Is this a small supermarket/large convenience store in the "other plaza" at University and Phillip?
(10-28-2016, 02:33 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Ahhh, my bad!  Is this a small supermarket/large convenience store in the "other plaza" at University and Phillip?

Yes, that one. I'd firmly call it a "supermarket" though. Sure, it's not a cavernous warehouse like most are these days, but it's definitely much larger than "large convenience store.

The thing is, that it's positioned itself as a purveyor of a lot of asian goods. That's a niche that was missing in the University area. T&T will be competing with it directly.
J&P Grocery are now hiring for various positions - opening soon?
J&P are opening tomorrow!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Up late making it great for opening day! Tomorrow 11am our doors open. Use main entrance at back of 8 Queen or Goudies Lane. Come find us! <a href="https://t.co/233J60RsLG">pic.twitter.com/233J60RsLG</a></p>&mdash; J &amp; P Grocery (@jandpgrocery) <a href="https://twitter.com/jandpgrocery/status/844354941208670208">March 22, 2017</a></blockquote>

The Real Canadian Superstore at Highland/Fischer Hallman has been undergoing some interior redesign the past few months, including straightening up the produce section (the angled aisles weren't really the most efficient use of space), and re-orienting some of the grocery aisles. I noticed yesterday they replaced the signs on the exterior as well with new signs showing the new brand (even the large Pharmacy from the Queen street facing entrance has been replaced.)

Only downside so far, they have joined the number of those requiring a loonie to get a cart.
The Real Canadian Superstore is getting  "Click and Collect" online shopping.  I was there the other day and it looks almost ready.
Looks like the T&T at Westmount Place is confirmed.

http://www.bentallkennedy.com/pdf/retail..._Place.pdf
Good lord, Erb St is mislabeled in that photo and I started to have some sort of "is anything real?" mental fart trying to figure out where the hell this intersection was.
Seems like an ideal location for T&T.
I thought it was a foregone conclusion, considering how all of the shops on that side of the plaza have been moving out.

So it's going to occupy more than the original supermarket space?
I wonder if the T&T will spur other Chinese businesses to locate in that plaza too. That plaza could become a little taste of Scarborough...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »