Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment)
(10-19-2018, 09:50 AM)Spokes Wrote: Down goes some more of the old factory.  

From The Record:
[Image: B88415013Z.1_20181019080103_000_G2JC80CT...rtrait.jpg]

Still a shame this couldn't be reused somehow
WOW,  what a lot of memories crumbling down !!!

On the upside, Courtland will now have much more natural light.
Are there any better renderings of the project floating around? All we've seen I think is the big site as a whole picture with captions all over it.
Other than refurbishment of the main office building, it's all just conceptual at this stage, is it not?
Correct. No permits issued or site plans approved yet. I expect they'll be working on those next year, and then be ready to start construction in 2020 as Arrow 2 starts winding down (Barrel Yards will have a few more years to go albeit with mid-rise buildings only).
I thought that some of the older bits of the plant were supposed to be saved.

(11-13-2018, 11:32 PM)MacBerry Wrote:
(11-13-2018, 10:13 PM)Spokes Wrote:

The pictures on a number of items do not show up when posted. Is this an issue at my end or is it theimport from Twitter not showing.

If it is at my end are there suggestions to get item showing?

Are you using a connection that has Twitter blocked?  That could keep embeded tweets from showing (it does at my school)
(11-14-2018, 12:47 AM)Spokes Wrote: Are you using a connection that has Twitter blocked?  That could keep embeded tweets from showing (it does at my school)

Also doesn't show up for me in Firefox while logged in. Does show up in Chrome while not logged in...
They're showing up fine for me with firefox.

I'm fine with that solid wall of red brick coming down... the buildings probably wouldn't have been cost-effective to reuse and it wasn't really architecturally interesting or significant imo.
I'll test the twitter issue some more. It's been a PITA for a long time.

I would have been ok if they found a way to incorporate some of the brick facade. Although I don't know how realistic that would be.

(11-14-2018, 10:28 AM)Spokes Wrote: I'll test the twitter issue some more.  It's been a PITA for a long time.

I would have been ok if they found a way to incorporate some of the brick facade.  Although I don't know how realistic that would be.

We're probably fine without the brick facade. It would have been just a facade.

Twitter embeds show up fine on this Firefox on my desktop, just not on my laptop. Go figure.
(11-14-2018, 10:28 AM)Spokes Wrote: I would have been ok if they found a way to incorporate some of the brick facade.  Although I don't know how realistic that would be.

It would have been just a huge blank façade, though, the kind of thing people here complain about in new buildings (worse than Kaufman Lofts, for example). Hopefully they will instead use some cues from the original buildings in their new builds.

As for the office building, I have only now come to realize that it is somewhat lacking in windows, having been surrounded by the factory buildings. This will take some additional work for Auburn to address, I think the current configuration will be too dark inside to be desirable.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »