Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Circa 1877 (née Brick Brewery) | 20 fl | Complete
I disagree. I think that will be the final cladding, lacking as it is. I've seen no signs of an preparation for other types of cladding in the main sections of the building. Also, if cladding was going to be installed, they would have kept the crane up to help install it.

All renders show that there is very clearly cladding on all the non-balcony parts of the concrete, dark or black. The balcony portions do look like pure concrete though.
I don't think the tower crane is necessary, particularly if the cladding is a relatively light material.
(11-09-2019, 08:40 PM)KevinL Wrote: I don't think the tower crane is necessary, particularly if the cladding is a relatively light material.

I don’t know anything specific about this project, but I have observed a number of construction projects where the tower crane disappeared earlier than I would have guessed. I suspect that at a certain point it becomes cheaper to bring a truck crane for each task than to keep renting the tower crane when it is only used once in a while.

I’ve also heard of condominium towers where a crane was left up on top for a long time, I think because the permanent window washing installation wasn’t ready yet and was planned to be used to lower the construction crane pieces down to street level (I’m probably garbling some details).
I want to say this will have cladding because the concrete you see on the building is quite raw. When concrete is used as a material in building (that is an aesthetic material), it tends to undergo a different process when it's poured and generally looks a lot "better" than the real raw concrete they are strictly using it structurally...look at some buildings from Tadao Ando or Peter Zumthor for example. However, the concrete here looks really awful as is, although I know these are prefab walls so the quality is going to be bad no matter what. It is possible to apply cladding to a building without having to use a tower crane, and it makes sense that they got rid of it because they cost a lot to keep up. However, so much of the building is done it seems strange they'd have put up so much glass if they were going to clad the concrete later. I'm thinking that what we see is what we'll get on this one.
(11-09-2019, 08:38 PM)GtwoK Wrote: All renders show that there is very clearly cladding on all the non-balcony parts of the concrete, dark or black. The balcony portions do look like pure concrete though.
I would second this. The renders absolutely have black cladding on the non balcony sections. 

Even with the cladding though I fear this will look quite monolithic. Especially with the balconies looking like theyre just concrete.

Dont know much about the developer but this building feels rather cheap to me.
(11-10-2019, 11:09 AM)ac3r Wrote: …, although I know these are prefab walls so the quality is going to be bad no matter what. ….

I’m curious about this. I would have guessed that pre-fab pieces would be better quality and consistency due to being made in a factory in consistent and constant conditions. Can you say anything about the concrete production process that would enlighten me?

(11-10-2019, 11:39 AM)Bjays93 Wrote:
(11-09-2019, 08:38 PM)GtwoK Wrote: All renders show that there is very clearly cladding on all the non-balcony parts of the concrete, dark or black. The balcony portions do look like pure concrete though.
I would second this. The renders absolutely have black cladding on the non balcony sections. 

Even with the cladding though I fear this will look quite monolithic. Especially with the balconies looking like theyre just concrete.

Dont know much about the developer but this building feels rather cheap to me.

I wonder if they will be painting or staining the concrete black instead of applying cladding.
Most total precast building exteriors will receive an epoxy painted finish to protect and waterproof.

Give it time, I think this will look great and classy Uptown and not cheap as suggested.......
(11-11-2019, 02:38 PM)JeffH Wrote: Most total precast building exteriors will receive an epoxy painted finish to protect and waterproof.

Give it time, I think this will look great and classy Uptown and not cheap as suggested.......
I agree. I actually like this building. I don't think it looks cheap at all. The door and windows seem to be of high quality. I do think there will be something applied to the bare concrete, but I could be wrong. If not it won't be as nice as I thought it would be from the renders, but still not bad.
Interesting take. 

On the ~15-20th floor I'd personally enjoy the view, more than thinking about what the concrete/finish of my outside balcony wall would look like to the birds.
I'll go ahead and say it, this is the worst new urban highrise (non student) in the region. The massing is terrrrrrible, it's nearly as wide as it is tall. The street frontages are awful, King side is literally going to be half a glassed in accessibility ramp (why not build closer to grade?? and the Caroline side is just as bad. There are large blank or nearly blank walls on all sides and even if they stain the panels dark it will clash with the blue (tinted?) windows
(11-11-2019, 10:02 PM)Lens Wrote: I'll go ahead and say it, this is the worst new urban highrise (non student) in the region. The massing is terrrrrrible, it's nearly as wide as it is tall. The street frontages are awful, King side is literally going to be half a glassed in accessibility ramp (why not build closer to grade?? and the Caroline side is just as bad. There are large blank or nearly blank walls on all sides and even if they stain the panels dark it will clash with the blue (tinted?) windows

I 100% agree on this. If the city could simply enforce better massing it would make a huge difference in new developments.

Ya I'm kinda done with the slab shaped towers. No thanks
'Nearly as wide as it is tall' LOL. Trying to find other examples like this online, not having much lock. The 'slenderness ratio' is off on this building is what you are saying correct?

Whilst certain parts look odd or 'cheap' right now, I think we should wait until the finished product. Only then will be truly know the beauty. Definitely not priced as a 'cheapo' condo. Some of the most expensive 1-bedrooms on assignment in the entire region.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »