Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
The Gaslight District | completed
(05-11-2022, 09:32 AM)cherrypark Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 09:02 AM)westwardloo Wrote: I just don't understand the logic behind this. I get that it is cheap as fuck to build, but why not just have the garage open to the elements with unique metal or wood work covering it. I guess this would require them to actually spend a little money on a designer instead of asking stubbe's Precast what they think would look good. 

Not sure about Cambridge but if I recall, its not permitted by city standards to have new garages open to the elements like that. This is partly why the DTK one looks like it does as they were forced to change the design/materials selection. This was stated the architects in discussions around 30 Francis; not clear if it was that direct a correlation in the choices.

was there a reason for this? Kitchener built a parking garage less then 10 years ago and it is open to the elements? is the new google parking garage going to be completely shut it? seems like a classic unthought out bureaucratic decision that resulted in horrendous parking podiums

(05-11-2022, 03:02 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 09:32 AM)cherrypark Wrote: Not sure about Cambridge but if I recall, its not permitted by city standards to have new garages open to the elements like that. This is partly why the DTK one looks like it does as they were forced to change the design/materials selection. This was stated the architects in discussions around 30 Francis; not clear if it was that direct a correlation in the choices.

was there a reason for this? Kitchener built a parking garage less then 10 years ago and it is open to the elements? is the new google parking garage going to be completely shut it? seems like a classic unthought out bureaucratic decision that resulted in horrendous parking podiums

Zero knowledge of the rationale from me, just that it was stated as the/one of the reasons for the late change. 

Possible its a difference between dedicated parking structures and those that are integrated into a residential building as far as what is designated acceptable building envelope? Perhaps an architect or planner on there can comment. Whatever the case, it's a policy that would benefit from review.
(05-11-2022, 09:48 AM)Acitta Wrote: I was also down there yesterday and took some pictures. 
I took a couple of the view from the rear. 

Imagine if they used stone that replicated the old stone buildings with similar windows, as seen in the third photo, so it actually fit its surroundings. That could have been beautiful.
(05-11-2022, 06:54 PM)I CP42 Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 09:48 AM)Acitta Wrote: I was also down there yesterday and took some pictures. 
I took a couple of the view from the rear. 

Imagine if they used stone that replicated the old stone buildings with similar windows, as seen in the third photo, so it actually fit its surroundings. That could have been beautiful.

“Beautiful” is for past generations. We’re here to build a big miserable box and get out!
(05-11-2022, 02:59 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 01:40 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: I couldn't care less how the towers looked if the podium was nice too, but instead they've built this blight, and given cannon fodder to ever NIMBY in downtown Galt. 

There are very few cities in Canada with historical cores like Galt. Intensification is necessary but the number one priority should be preserving the existing fabric of the core, which this does none of, on a historical site no less.

Developers/ architects should be blacklisted for 5 years from building in the region for contributing something like this to our built form.

It had nothing to do with the architects so they shouldn't get the blame. This project was a dual project by Martin Simmons (now MartinSimmonsSweers) and ABA Architects who are both - at least usually - acceptable teams. They had originally designed an okay looking podium which you can kind of see in this post here...nothing amazing, but at least it was not offensive like this.

Anyway, I know someone who works for one of the two firms involved who was working on the master plan, but they were privy to what ABA was doing with the towers. They stated that the reason the podium ended up like this was because HIP thought it would be easier to make the prefab panels versus the more "complicated" podium design which had a lot more going on. In other words, they wanted it to be cheap and easy. Unfortunately as a result, as even a child would understand, vertical stripes will put a hell of a lot of emphasis on the height of the podium, not to mention they are just bare, blank walls of nothing. No windows, no ornament, no lighting, no art...it's just stripes and prefab bricks.

Unfortunately, it all came down to greed which is not surprising. Developers are leeches and don't really care about what they're developing as long as they see their financials increase. And unfortunately, developers are the ones who call the shots. Architects are just hired to design something, but the developers get to decide what ultimately happens.
I said this in another thread but HIP is literally just copying and pasting the same crappy building design across the region and trying to change the exterior enough so it's not obvious. Queen St In Hespeler, Trio Belmont, The Bright Building, Circa, Strata, and Gaslight. They're all the same precast building, same slab footprint and unit layouts with slightly different facades.

They're ALREADY saving money by reusing designs and then they pull this stunt and build one of the worst podiums I've ever seen...

I guess it makes sense, they're just the "development" arm of a builder (melloul)
(05-11-2022, 09:32 AM)cherrypark Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 09:02 AM)westwardloo Wrote: I just don't understand the logic behind this. I get that it is cheap as fuck to build, but why not just have the garage open to the elements with unique metal or wood work covering it. I guess this would require them to actually spend a little money on a designer instead of asking stubbe's Precast what they think would look good. 

Not sure about Cambridge but if I recall, its not permitted by city standards to have new garages open to the elements like that. This is partly why the DTK one looks like it does as they were forced to change the design/materials selection. This was stated the architects in discussions around 30 Francis; not clear if it was that direct a correlation in the choices.

The Charlie West garage facade does have openings.

In any case, one can us windows for garages, too, they are surely allowed.

I'll have to ask some colleagues who work here why there might be a rule regarding closed parking garages. I don't really do architectural work within Waterloo Region so I'm not sure, but I've never heard of that and can't really gather what the reasons might be unless it's some sort of environmental BS or safety issue.
Prime example I happened to walk past tonight of windows and open air garage at Caroline St Private Residences 

[Image: M7J5oHy.jpg]
I expect that the Caroline residence parking garage look and feel had a lot to do with any combination of the following:
1. City Council pushing for strong design guidelines in exchange for selling the strip of the Iron Horse Trail that used to go through that property (RIP)
2. The wish to push the "upscale" nature of the development
(05-15-2022, 08:17 AM)nms Wrote: I expect that the Caroline residence parking garage look and feel had a lot to do with any combination of the following:
1. City Council pushing for strong design guidelines in exchange for selling the strip of the Iron Horse Trail that used to go through that property (RIP)
2. The wish to push the "upscale" nature of the development

I do not consider the Caroline residence garage podium  to look upscale or have strong design guidelines, but maybe some some people like it. I will say it is better then gaslight or dtk, but that isn't a compliment.
(05-15-2022, 02:37 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I do not consider the Caroline residence garage podium  to look upscale or have strong design guidelines, but maybe some some people like it. I will say it is better then gaslight or dtk, but that isn't a compliment.

As I recall, the podium is a similar design to 144 Park, which may have been the biggest factor, although I don't think that one has open windows into the garage area.
Landscaping and oppressive greyscale onslaught update:

[Image: wUDliHX.jpg]
[size=1][Image: UHlQeJD.jpg][/size]
[size=1][size=1][Image: aRwHCr6.jpg][/size][/size]
[size=1][size=1][size=1][Image: bSiYgNi.jpg][/size][/size][/size]
[size=1][size=1][size=1][size=1][Image: 2rOx6tB.jpg][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[size=1][size=1][size=1][size=1][size=1][Image: XE0zQ2t.jpg][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
local cambridge weirdo

This is such a sad project. Right beside what could have been a really unique area of our region with beautiful stone warehouses. Basically set up for high end shops, breweries and restaurants. A mini distillery district. But no such thought was put into the Precast monstrosity that are these towers. The random white strips are do not make it more visually appealing. Based on the placement of caulking joints it looks like they fucked up on the panel sizes in places. A simple idea they should have done is just to make it all a consistent colour and panel size, then build a metal or mesh frame around the exterior to accommodate the vines or other creeping greenery. https://greenscreen.com/shared/2020/06/g...pdf?x70762
Landscaping ... ooh, all that greenery is really overwhelming.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »