Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
Some shots of the cladding:

And a bonus view from King St:

Am I wrong to think that that cladding no longer shows the DTK sreetmap as originally proposed?
I thought it was supposed to be some message in code. 1 and 0s type of 'nod to tech hub'.

I don't know What I'm looking at in that pic. It looks like a bunch of concrete with small holes in it. Someone suggested at night the parking lot lights will illuminate the holes? So I guess in the daytime is the great wall of Charlie?
Somebody needs to figure out what the image on the cladding is. It might actually be buildings as seen in an aerial/satellite photo.
(05-14-2020, 09:35 PM)Momo26 Wrote: I thought it was supposed to be some message in code. 1 and 0s type of 'nod to tech hub'.

I don't know What I'm looking at in that pic. It looks like a bunch of concrete with small holes in it. Someone suggested at night the parking lot lights will illuminate the holes? So I guess in the daytime is the great wall of Charlie?

That was my suggestion. Unfortunately the holes are a little too large to have the effect I was hoping for. They're big enough that the garage behind them is pretty visible. I took this photo last night while walking past:

Definitely a deviation from the render. Though I dont think its terrible, I'll reserve my judgment for when its complete
I think it's still a map of downtown, just a bit more subtle of one...

(05-14-2020, 10:54 PM)KevinL Wrote: I think it's still a map of downtown, just a bit more subtle of one...
I agree.

If I use my imagination I can make out the lake in Vic Park (blue) and the field by the clocktower (red).

Attached Files Image(s)

(05-14-2020, 10:54 PM)KevinL Wrote: I think it's still a map of downtown, just a bit more subtle of one...

Might it be a rendering of an aerial photo, rather than a map as such?
(05-15-2020, 09:07 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:

Might it be a rendering of an aerial photo, rather than a map as such?

Exactly!
You can faintly make out the image in the second daytime photo
(05-15-2020, 05:13 PM)white_brian Wrote: You can faintly make out the image in the second daytime photo
Had the slabs been darker as they appeared in the renderings I think it would be more pronounced. 

I suppose they could be painted at some point though. 

Does anyone who's been by know if these slabs have a finish on them or do they just appear to be concrete with holes in them?
(05-15-2020, 07:52 PM)Bjays93 Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 05:13 PM)white_brian Wrote: You can faintly make out the image in the second daytime photo
Had the slabs been darker as they appeared in the renderings I think it would be more pronounced. 

I suppose they could be painted at some point though. 

Does anyone who's been by know if these slabs have a finish on them or do they just appear to be concrete with holes in them?

Aluminium, surely?

Didn't get close enough to see the material but I assumed some metal as well. I took a look today during daylight and it really looked terrible. I hope they are doing something more to it yet.
(05-15-2020, 09:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Aluminium, surely?
I mean I assumed that too, but I thought I saw someone mention it being concrete earlier in the thread. 

Then again I think being stuck at home is getting to my head so I wouldn't be surprised if i was imagining things at this point.

Edit: So I went back and looked and someone already even said they thought it looked like metal, so clearly I'm just starting to go insane.

I do hope it can be painted darker, though I am doubtful.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »