Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
(11-30-2021, 01:21 PM)Serendipity Wrote:
(11-30-2021, 01:10 AM)hellocharliewest Wrote: I moved in the initial occupancy a couple months back, and my occupancy fees are about $1300/month for a 1 bedroom.

Oh wow, that does sound like high occupancy fees to me. Did you have any pro-rata fees too?

I believe that the occupancy fees are in the right ballpark, although I'm not sure. I have never heard of pro-rata fees - maybe it only applies to those who move in after the initial occupancy date?

(11-30-2021, 05:32 PM)hellocharliewest Wrote:
(11-30-2021, 01:21 PM)Serendipity Wrote: Oh wow, that does sound like high occupancy fees to me. Did you have any pro-rata fees too?

I believe that the occupancy fees are in the right ballpark, although I'm not sure. I have never heard of pro-rata fees - maybe it only applies to those who move in after the initial occupancy date?

I paid approx. $1150 for a 650sqft 1 bedroom unit for Tower 2 at 100 Victoria/Garment St. this year before closing over the summer.  I wonder if purchase price is a factor as our units were sold well before Charlie West was announced but constructionion was delayed.
Someone posted on Facebook Marketplace an ad for a one-bedroom apartment for rent in Charlie West for $1875.
(12-20-2021, 05:59 PM)Acitta Wrote: Someone posted on Facebook Marketplace an ad for a one-bedroom apartment for rent in Charlie West for $1875.

Seems about the going rate.
My friend just leased a one bed for 1750 (no parking). His landlord had another unit with parking which he leased for 1850.
Quote:21-132999
60 CHARLES ST W
Permit is for interior alterations to create a European grocery and delicatessen store at Charlie West apartments in unit 1C.

1C is the 1950 sq ft unit that's in the middle. I wonder if this is a second location or relocation for a business that's already in KW. Maybe Jasna's is moving to somewhere more visible? Or their property is being sold for redevelopment?
Is Kava Bean Bistro going to open again ? I thought there was talk that when it was shut down to build Charlie, that they would be a future tenant ?

I miss Kava, it was really good.
(01-11-2022, 04:16 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Is Kava Bean Bistro going to open again ?  I thought there was talk that when it was shut down to build Charlie, that they would be a future tenant ?

I believe Momentum offered them right of first refusal on a retail unit, but Momentum isn't a landlord so they'd have to actually want to buy the unit. AFAIK Kava Bean didn't buy a unit, I was told the purchasers at one point. That said, a European deli wasn't in the plans at that time, so it's always possible units have been leased or resold.

Thanks for the update. I am good with a European deli though. That will be great. Grab some food, make a picnic and go to the park... Actually, part of the business model could be to have prepared food baskets ready to grab and go, complete with wine.
Now if only we could drink a wine or some beer in the park too. Well, okay, you can and I do all the time, but I don't think it's technically allowed which is just archaic. It'd be great to grab some food, light alcohol and sit on the grass with friends for an afternoon.

One of my favourite places in Berlin is Tempelhofer Feld because you can just chill out in a huge open, historical park space all day, eat good food, drink, have fun and find your way home on the U or S-Bahn after dark.

Edit: There's some vague parallels between the old bus station and Templehof. It was, obviously, an old airport. Berlin had all these plans to redevelop it into some new district for the city. But local activists and residents kept pressuring Berlin to consider turning the area into a public space. Now, it is one of Berlin's largest parks and is enjoyed by millions of people. I hope we can try to turn the Charles Street site into something similar, rather than sell it off for a ridiculous sports stadium or condo development. Maybe we can even call it Tempelhof Square, given our links to Berlin... :^)
(01-11-2022, 04:12 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
Quote:21-132999
60 CHARLES ST W
Permit is for interior alterations to create a European grocery and delicatessen store at Charlie West apartments in unit 1C.

1C is the 1950 sq ft unit that's in the middle. I wonder if this is a second location or relocation for a business that's already in KW. Maybe Jasna's is moving to somewhere more visible? Or their property is being sold for redevelopment?

I don't think Jasna is moving anywhere, they renovated their current location rather recently.
(01-11-2022, 04:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: Now if only we could drink a wine or some beer in the park too. Well, okay, you can and I do all the time, but I don't think it's technically allowed which is just archaic. It'd be great to grab some food, light alcohol and sit on the grass with friends for an afternoon.

One of my favourite places in Berlin is Tempelhofer Feld because you can just chill out in a huge open, historical park space all day, eat good food, drink, have fun and find your way home on the U or S-Bahn after dark.

Edit: There's some vague parallels between the old bus station and Templehof. It was, obviously, an old airport. Berlin had all these plans to redevelop it into some new district for the city. But local activists and residents kept pressuring Berlin to consider turning the area into a public space. Now, it is one of Berlin's largest parks and is enjoyed by millions of people. I hope we can try to turn the Charles Street site into something similar, rather than sell it off for a ridiculous sports stadium or condo development. Maybe we can even call it Tempelhof Square, given our links to Berlin... :^)

I'd be good with a good public space -- but by good, I mean, really good. I see two options, sell for condos, OR, do a good job and make it a great place for the public to come to year round. I sort of like the idea of a large water feature (like a large fountain) and outdoor market of sorts, with addition of trees or some sort of shade feature.

But if the plan was to cheap out on it, and do the minimum, then, no, just sell for density condos/apartments/office/retail.
(01-11-2022, 04:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 04:12 PM)taylortbb Wrote: 1C is the 1950 sq ft unit that's in the middle. I wonder if this is a second location or relocation for a business that's already in KW. Maybe Jasna's is moving to somewhere more visible? Or their property is being sold for redevelopment?

I don't think Jasna is moving anywhere, they renovated their current location rather recently.

Maybe Taste of Europe?
271 West will be moving from King into here, I presume into a different unit that the deli under discussion.

(01-13-2022, 05:59 PM)KevinL Wrote: 271 West will be moving from King into here, I presume into a different unit that the deli under discussion.

Yep, they're taking the corner unit at Charles/Gaukel. They claim to be moving end of January, but based on the state of construction in their unit that's not happening.
(01-13-2022, 06:01 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 05:59 PM)KevinL Wrote: 271 West will be moving from King into here, I presume into a different unit that the deli under discussion.

Yep, they're taking the corner unit at Charles/Gaukel. They claim to be moving end of January, but based on the state of construction in their unit that's not happening.

It’s going to be interesting to see how the new restaurant turns out! The old one had very minimal windows, whereas the new location is a corner unit with window walls.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »