Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(02-01-2022, 11:20 AM)ac3r Wrote: Hopefully that block can get redeveloped.

Queen has a lot of potential. I vaguely remember reading that the building complex that is 132 Queen and where the Hasty Market on Ontario Street is was being sold. It'd be nice to see that get turned into a new project because it's really ugly and old.

That's their long-term plan. However, they renovated and signed tenants at 132 Queen so it's not going to be happening anytime really soon.

(02-01-2022, 11:20 AM)ac3r Wrote: Hopefully that block can get redeveloped.

Queen has a lot of potential. I vaguely remember reading that the building complex that is 132 Queen and where the Hasty Market on Ontario Street is was being sold. It'd be nice to see that get turned into a new project because it's really ugly and old.

It already is developed, it was a garage before, now it's two new tech companies.

It's a mediocre plaza, but it's got a lot of valuable businesses and now employment space. Obviously it could be improved aesthetically, but there's a lot that would be lost in doing so.
A very preliminary application for 107 Young Street in Kitchener.

Quote:Removal of the holding provision which requires consolidation of 107 Young with the properties fronting Weber Street W. C/R SP21/132/W/AP.

Not sure if this implies anything will be happening because it's a very small location. Could just be a house being turned into a mutli-dwelling unit.
Didn’t know where else to put this, but interesting video on Suburban Sprawl in the US posted yesterday by CNBC.

https://youtu.be/s5QJwsvWXJE
(02-02-2022, 09:13 PM)ac3r Wrote: A very preliminary application for 107 Young Street in Kitchener.

Quote:Removal of the holding provision which requires consolidation of 107 Young with the properties fronting Weber Street W. C/R SP21/132/W/AP.

Not sure if this implies anything will be happening because it's a very small location. Could just be a house being turned into a mutli-dwelling unit.

Plans already in place (and I think at least semi-approved?) for this! From a while back. Too tired to dig them out now but you can find documents in the heritage comitee minutes from some point.

It'd easily be one if the ugliest buildings in the city, if I remember correctly
(02-02-2022, 09:13 PM)ac3r Wrote: A very preliminary application for 107 Young Street in Kitchener.

We have a thread for the project with details, https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?tid=1455
Oh it's that awful thing lol...

It is pretty weird, but a little bit of eccentric can’t hurt DTK.
I dunked on that building a lot when it was first proposed but to be honest, it has grown on me by virtue of being so weird. In a way it reminds me of the odd architecture you'd find in German, Austrian or Swiss cities.
(02-03-2022, 09:17 PM)ac3r Wrote: I dunked on that building a lot when it was first proposed but to be honest, it has grown on me by virtue of being so weird. In a way it reminds me of the odd architecture you'd find in German, Austrian or Swiss cities.

This.
The slides at the Park & Victoria consultation tonight made it extra clear there is a coming proposal (which ac3r alluded to before) for the lots at 138-146 Victoria St S. Really curious to see what goes up here linking 100 Vic / Garment St. and the likely approval for Park & Victoria. The IBI representative made a point of highlighting creating a "cadence" along Victoria with that to-come development and the positioning and set-backs for the proposed 3 towers, which makes me think the plans for this remaining block must also have a substantial intensity planned.

I'm not sure if the old 3-story apartment block at 142 Victoria would get some case for preservation/integration? Regardless, so pleased to see those worn down properties getting a much needed refresh.

Now if the Region could get on with the ROW widening (for AT, not cars, ideally) and re-working along Victoria here shortly thereafter we would really be talking.
(02-03-2022, 02:46 PM)ac3r Wrote: Oh it's that awful thing lol...

Needs to be weird if we're trying to become a 'large' city. Plain Jane won't cut it.

I am sure in the end, it would get some award.
(02-08-2022, 11:39 PM)cherrypark Wrote: The slides at the Park & Victoria consultation tonight made it extra clear there is a coming proposal (which ac3r alluded to before) for the lots at 138-146 Victoria St S. Really curious to see what goes up here linking 100 Vic / Garment St. and the likely approval for Park & Victoria. The IBI representative made a point of highlighting creating a "cadence" along Victoria with that to-come development and the positioning and set-backs for the proposed 3 towers, which makes me think the plans for this remaining block must also have a substantial intensity planned.

I'm not sure if the old 3-story apartment block at 142 Victoria would get some case for preservation/integration? Regardless, so pleased to see those worn down properties getting a much needed refresh.

Now if the Region could get on with the ROW widening (for AT, not cars, ideally) and re-working along Victoria here shortly thereafter we would really be talking.

I'd be surprised.

(02-08-2022, 11:39 PM)cherrypark Wrote: I'm not sure if the old 3-story apartment block at 142 Victoria would get some case for preservation/integration? Regardless, so pleased to see those worn down properties getting a much needed refresh.

From page 29 of this project's Urban Design Brief (PDF):

Quote:The Site’s 146 Victoria Street South parcel does flank 142 Victoria Street South, which was listed on the Kitchener Heritage Register in 2010.

Page 12 of the same brief also states:

Quote:At the eastern edge, a small portion of the building base is 1 storey abutting the adjacent site assembly (130, 138 and 142 Victoria Street South). The Owner has agreements with that assembly’s owner regarding limiting distances and building placement for the future development of that assembly. This was done, in part, to address the tower separation of the Tall Building Guidelines between the two property assemblies.
Kitchener’s Duke Street could be transformed to discourage cars, favour transit and cyclists [The Record]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »